• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

That sounds almost too good to be true! I just paid $200 for a four color job on a whole rifle, it included stock, grip, and magazines that matched in with the camo pattern though. 

You, my friend, got a great price for an entire rifle- sounds like 6 pieces total. 

40 minutes ago, Ozark said:

You, my friend, got a great price for an entire rifle- sounds like 6 pieces total. 

I bring him a ton of business. He charges me $80 for a basic one color on three pieces job. He also knows I am never in a rush so he can work my stuff when he has slack time. Could be is is sucking me in, I seem to be spending more and more there as his skill level increases :laffs:

Just now, William Flatt said:

DPMS makes an AR10 called the Oracle. It's a flattop. They make an AR15 version too, also called an Oracle if I'm not mistaken. Brb gonna go to their website & see about pulling that up.

DPMS never, ever made an AR-10.  Ever.

6 minutes ago, William Flatt said:

Nomenclature: Armalite makes AR-10s, DPMS makes several variants of the LR-308 platform. It's like a Mustang and a 'Vette both being sportscars, but that doesn't make those terms synonymous or interchangeable.

We differentiate pointedly to try to save newcomers compatibility issues between varying platforms.

There are unfortunately a good many vendors marketing "AR-10" parts to unwitting customers who don't know that their Rock River .308 isn't actually an "AR-10" like the chump at the gun show told them.

And so if you have a xerox machine that's not made by XEROX, do you seriously refrain from calling it a xerox machine? This is semantics. If it's an AR-derived platform, it's an AR, even if it's not made by Armalite. Same argument applies to 1911's.

But I accept your point about differentiation. I know there are minute differences between AR10, LR308 and SR25. I wasn't trying to pick a nit when I said AR10. I guess that's why I felt compelled to add that it's a DPMS.

Edited by William Flatt

24 minutes ago, William Flatt said:

And so if you have a xerox machine that's not made by XEROX, do you seriously refrain from calling it a xerox machine? This is semantics.

It's certainly about semantics, and proper nomenclature, especially in this realm.  That's exactly it  - using your analogy, do you think that if you ordered a part for your knockoff copy machine, and ordered the actual XEROX part...   would it even FIT?...  Or did you just "generalize", not knowing, and get a real XEROX part that doesn't fit your off-brand copier...  Who's pissed when that part shows up?...  Only YOU can be pissed, because you didn't know enough to order the correct part from the get-go...

There's a difference, and you didn't know that...  but now you do...

What do you do when you want ink packs for your copier/printer?  If you have a Lenox, do you just go grab some HP ink packs from Wal-Mart?...  No, that doesn't work in your copier/printer, and you're pissed, and take them back - because you didn't know what you were buying in the first place.  Maybe that makes sense now, or not...

Edited by 98Z5V

7 hours ago, William Flatt said:

And so if you have a xerox machine that's not made by XEROX, do you seriously refrain from calling it a xerox machine? This is semantics. If it's an AR-derived platform, it's an AR, even if it's not made by Armalite. Same argument applies to 1911's.

But I accept your point about differentiation. I know there are minute differences between AR10, LR308 and SR25. I wasn't trying to pick a nit when I said AR10. I guess that's why I felt compelled to add that it's a DPMS.

Everyone and their neighbor refers to the large ARs as AR-10s, it's common as all get out. You did specify DPMS and that's to your credit. I'm not jumping you here, but trying to explain why you would be asked to differentiate. Future questions about modifications to your rifle, or someone else's rifle, will likely be contingent upon the specifics of the brand/model. Calling everything an AR-10 causes problems when we make recommendations based on invalid information.

I have one on the list....one I have to buy before I need a new roof and the walls that support it.  The big open spot in this photo is getting ready to have a house spring up out of it. I’m hoping to submit plans within the next few weeks and in might be a few behind that before I can pull a permit.  I have dollars ear-tagged for one really special gun.  

1F73A985-4467-49B6-ADD8-3D6D0560A488.jpeg