• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

Trying to back out of this order,  will call 8 central time.  Owned a 716 for a minute,  some time ago.  Liked and still do some sig pistols so bought the rifle.  I just did a little dance around the net researching this 716.  No longer in production,  not defending this comment,  just my understanding at this time.  I know it can be made to fit one way or another,  something about an 1/8th of an inch off somewhere.  Went to an auction place we all know and checked prices on 716's  Two pages no bids,  which I decipher to mean too costly for what you get,  or folks perception of value.  Most complaints were too much shimmy shimmy coco pop between upper and lower.  Too much movement for an upper tier rifle.  Too much meaning far in excess of the expected.  Viewed completed sales within last thirty days.  Any beginning .99 cent auctions ended at or near 12 hundred.  Way off from the 18-26 ask.  Tells me 12 hundred the go to price.  A couple of sales at 18,  I'm guessing someone with less understanding of the nature of the rifle and is about to get some eye opening lessons like we all did.  Nothing like almost drowning to discover we don't really know how to swim yet.   

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

Trying to back out of this order,  will call 8 central time.  Owned a 716 for a minute,  some time ago.  Liked and still do some sig pistols so bought the rifle.  I just did a little dance around the net researching this 716.  No longer in production,  not defending this comment,  just my understanding at this time.  I know it can be made to fit one way or another,  something about an 1/8th of an inch off somewhere.  Went to an auction place we all know and checked prices on 716's  Two pages no bids,  which I decipher to mean too costly for what you get,  or folks perception of value.  Most complaints were too much shimmy shimmy coco pop between upper and lower.  Too much movement for an upper tier rifle.  Too much meaning far in excess of the expected.  Viewed completed sales within last thirty days.  Any beginning .99 cent auctions ended at or near 12 hundred.  Way off from the 18-26 ask.  Tells me 12 hundred the go to price.  A couple of sales at 18,  I'm guessing someone with less understanding of the nature of the rifle and is about to get some eye opening lessons like we all did.  Nothing like almost drowning to discover we don't really know how to swim yet.   

I am not going to build a Sig. I am going to build a direct impingement pistol.  Someone already did this on the site. Just need a 11 inch custom gas tube. DPMS bolts work with the Sig barrel.

1 hour ago, RedRiverII said:

Trying to back out of this order,  will call 8 central time.  Owned a 716 for a minute

The barrels are good, no issues with the build from the barrel. My P716 is a jam-O-matic but no issue with the barrel and bolt, the bolt catch turns out to be a great part for my builds so far.

I ordered an 11" tube.  I spoke with Whiteoak Armory and with Sig.  I ordered a custom 11" gas tube on your say so,  because I couldn't answer John @ WOA's question with any authority.  I respect everyone's opinion here and go with the suggestions.  I spoke with Matt @sig.  These barrels are intended for piston driven platforms,  he couldn't give me a tube length because they don't use them.  He would not tell me the barrel port size other than " ...about 2mm or so."  They don't sell the piston parts as they don't want people building their own 716's.  I understand that completely.  Thankfully I was under the wrong impression about the 716 being not being produced any longer,  or I would not have made the phone call.  The 716 is in limited production.  So I'm taking a shot at making a good rifle on a dime,  so to speak.  I know we'll make it happen and make it happen well.   BTW I mentioned the folks here at 308AR.com as my source of interest and information.  As of now I'm into this project for $85.  $50 Barrel and $35 custom tube.

3 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

@shooterex Does the barrel work with an Aero upper?

Here is a link to my build with the SIG barrel. It works as does the SIG bolt that CDNN sells. I may have waited to order the tube until I had barrel and receiver in hand but it should be the same as mine. 

14 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

I ordered an 11" tube.  I spoke with Whiteoak Armory and with Sig.  I ordered a custom 11" gas tube on your say so,  because I couldn't answer John @ WOA's question with any authority.  I respect everyone's opinion here and go with the suggestions.  I spoke with Matt @sig.  These barrels are intended for piston driven platforms,  he couldn't give me a tube length because they don't use them.  He would not tell me the barrel port size other than " ...about 2mm or so."  They don't sell the piston parts as they don't want people building their own 716's.  I understand that completely.  Thankfully I was under the wrong impression about the 716 being not being produced any longer,  or I would not have made the phone call.  The 716 is in limited production.  So I'm taking a shot at making a good rifle on a dime,  so to speak.  I know we'll make it happen and make it happen well.   BTW I mentioned the folks here at 308AR.com as my source of interest and information.  As of now I'm into this project for $85.  $50 Barrel and $35 custom tube.

You may have given the wrong people too much information, and now we'll see the barrels prices go up.  I've seen it happen before... 

John at WOA always asks you why you need a specific gas tube length. He wants to know that YOU know what you're doing - so you don't trash WOA later, based on bad data that you gave them.  That would be something that's out of their control.

It'll work.  JT and I came up with the necessary perfect length, in a long discussion about converting this to a DI gun.  :thumbup:

You're not building a SIG 716 from this barrel.  You're building a .308AR pistol (or SBR, later, if you choose that route) out of a good SIG 716 barrel...   :thumbup:

Thanks Z,  this barrel was like $400 off retail.  I'll pm you  as I'm a bit con-fuze-ed.  I've seen people raise prices in a second,  I know the routine.  I hope I didn't hurt anyone.  John seemed a bit sympathetic about me not getting quick and easy responses from Sig.  He did ask questions and I did inform him if I made a mistake with the tube it was on me,  that was clearly stated.  I did mention other folks names during the conversation with WOA.  Namely John M. from CJRPC who runs high power matches and the State Championships.  WOA is held in high regard by many shooters and protecting their rep is honorable.

Thank you @jtallen83 and @98Z5V I'm aware of the work you guys do and I one for appreciate it.  After reading your posts I'm less ignorant,  and most important of all a lot more SAFE,  safety is paramount in this field. I must go and read JT's post above,  nice looking piece of work there JT.

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

You may have given the wrong people too much information, and now we'll see the barrels prices go up.  I've seen it happen before... 

I have been getting lots of PM's about this build. Still $49.99, shows 53 in stock now, the 308 marked versions are gone but I don't see much difference in the ones I have. Just a month ago they had both versions and showed 70 something in stock. 

I think I may just SBR one of these.

14 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

is that correct,  using those bolt catches?

I have them in three rifles and no issues, Aero, Matrix, and Sig. Not sure where the thread is but I did some comparison measurements and posted it here when I had a catch break in a Matrix build, not sure what brand the broken catch was as it came with the Matrix receiver set. 

On 7/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, Belt Fed said:

You ever hear of magnet fishing, i'm fixing to order this.

bb32fd1c-a560-4e11-8053-e8b6c2d3f559_1.265ee0055484daf5bed7c72c5bcb0aab.jpg

d20a90a9-a3a3-4d5d-80a6-ec375679d988_1.022f64d41dccdb52d2e506d8c9c8353d.jpg

I have a 1k magnet waiting on a time and a place, and a rope! This magnet had to be slid off my hitch with bolth feet on the hitch!.. might need kevlar gloves to remove fishing hooks?

20190702_182910.jpg

10 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Awesome, gloves is a definite must doing it. I can't wait to get one and try it. Yours looks like a good one, those i'm looking at are Chinese I think.

link. 1,200+ LBS Pulling Force, Brute Magnetics Extremely Powerful Neodymium Fishing Magnet with Countersunk Hole and Eyebolt, 4.72" Diameter. Retrieve Objects from Lakes and Streams https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071GSQDL5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HB9mDb026JK5K

26 minutes ago, sketch said:

I have a 1k magnet waiting on a time and a place, and a rope! This magnet had to be slid off my hitch with bolth feet on the hitch!..

^^^   My brother is SO PNW it's not even funny...   :lmao:   Once he falls over, it's gonna take BOLTH of us to get him back up...   :laffs::thumbup:

3 minutes ago, sketch said:

Its  not even a word.. cant get right! 

It IS a word, brother!!!   All PNW people say "BOLTH" when they're talking about the two of them...   :lmao:  I gave my girl and her two kids hell about that for 10 years, whenever they'd speak...   :laffs: