• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stopping Power

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teen Shot 6 Times With Assault Rifle - NBC10 - June 24, 2014

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Teen-Shot-6-Times-With-Assault-Rifle-264367851.html

The 18-year-old was shot six times in the back and chest with an assault rifle, police said. He was able to walk a block after the shooting to Orkney Street, where he collapsed.

The teen was rushed to Temple University Hospital where he remains in critical condition.

At what range and like Jon quoted, what kind of gun. Not enough info for any arguement.

At what range and like Jon quoted, what kind of gun. Not enough info for any arguement.

Exactly. I've seen news articles about 12-gauge assault rifles and .22 caliber shotguns. Journalists are lazy people who work harder on 'spin' than on facts.

We can probably be confident that "the teen" (which is another 'code-phrase') was not shot with an Airsoft quasi-weapon. Beyond that, who knows? We're prisoners of the media.

Close range, shooting 7.62x39 FMJ, will just make little in-n-out holes. They don't even bleed that much. Especially if the just hit soft tissue.

That's the beauty of dirt bags, they never load up with hydro shock, or gold dot, or Ranger ammo... they always buy the cheap FMJ ball ammo that's on sale.

A few years ago, my buddy was shot outside of a club. As fast as he could, he got back to his feet and ran inside. When he was checking for wounds, he found the FMJ .25 Auto stuck in his leather belt and a bruise on his hip... CSI said he was weird that he even got hit. They said the shooter was one of the worst shots they'd ever investigated. They found bullet marks/holes from the sidewalk up to the sign above the club. They think it was just pass poor luck that he was hit... I told him it was because his fat a$$ was the biggest thing outside!

• 3 months later...

I just don't wanna starting seeing a bunch of bull$hit from someone quoting that damn article, and talking about their .22LR CCW piece, saying it's just as effective as someone carrying a .45 ACP, Border Patrol .40, or a .460 S&W Mag, or a Howitzer...  :ugone2far:

EDIT - Had to go back and edit this one to make sure "bull$hit" showed up...  <lmao>

For a time when I lived in Florida I was without transportation and had to walk to and from town every day. I was routinely attacked by a pack of wild dogs on my way home most evenings and frequently had to shoot them. My gun of choice was a .22LR even though I had larger caliber options. The reason was because I could target and accurately hit specific body parts on the move, under stress. I killed allot of dogs but never shot a dog twice, except for a double tap with my M1 carbine on an innocent dog that had been mortally wounded already. My cartridge of choice for self defense was the CCI stinger. Undoubtedly doesn't make as big a mess as the 9mm or .45 but the ability to shoot for critical parts (the brain) more then made up for it's lack of punch.

That's not BS. That's direct personal experience and allot of it.

Close range, shooting 7.62x39 FMJ, will just make little in-n-out holes. They don't even bleed that much. Especially if the just hit soft tissue.

That's the beauty of dirt bags, they never load up with hydro shock, or gold dot, or Ranger ammo... they always buy the cheap FMJ ball ammo that's on sale.

A few years ago, my buddy was shot outside of a club. As fast as he could, he got back to his feet and ran inside. When he was checking for wounds, he found the FMJ .25 Auto stuck in his leather belt and a bruise on his hip... CSI said he was weird that he even got hit. They said the shooter was one of the worst shots they'd ever investigated. They found bullet marks/holes from the sidewalk up to the sign above the club. They think it was just pass poor luck that he was hit... I told him it was because his fat a$$ was the biggest thing outside!

LOL. Great story. I've done tests with the 7.62x39 (using an SKS) and found that it changed direction upon impact better then any other cartridge I had experimented with. You can also find pictures of Chinese executions with AKs that show the victims heads completely gone above the eye sockets. But yeah, I can easily imagine a gut shot would be just a hole poked in the target.

My buddy's Dad, a deputy, got off duty and walked into a convenience store for a snack.  While in there, someone came in to rob the place.  "Freeze!" and perp turns and shoots with his .25, Dad drops him with a couple of .45acp rounds.

While conducting the crime scene investigations, their sargeant said "What's that Bill?"

A .25 bullet was stuck in his duty belt.

WOW!! That story closely mimics a mini parody of Bon Jovi's "Shot Through the Heart" that I wrote when I was 18. I think I still remember all the lyrics. Let's see....

SHOT AT A COP

People talk about a man named Mel. The man robbed a taco from a Taco Bell.

He ran outside where a cop was waiting. He shot him with a .25 cal Jennings.

SHOT AT A COP WITH A JUNK GUN. HE BROUGHT OUT A MAGNUM. HE SHOT HIS HEAD BUT THE BULLET BOUNCED OFF. HE BROUGHT OUT A MAGNUM. HE BROUGHT OUT......A MAGNUM.

When that bullet bounced off the cop's skull, he shot Mel with a .50 cal Desert Eagle.

People argue about what happened to Mel. Some say he's in Heaven. Some say he's in Hell.

SHOT AT A COP WITH A JUNK GUN. HE BROUGHT OUT A MAGNUM. HE SHOT HIS HEAD BUT THE BULLET BOUNCED OFF. HE BROUGHT OUT A MAGNUM. etc.

Edited by MaDuce

For a time when I lived in Florida I was without transportation and had to walk to and from town every day. I was routinely attacked by a pack of wild dogs on my way home most evenings and frequently had to shoot them. My gun of choice was a .22LR even though I had larger caliber options. The reason was because I could target and accurately hit specific body parts on the move, under stress. I killed allot of dogs but never shot a dog twice, except for a double tap with my M1 carbine on an innocent dog that had been mortally wounded already. My cartridge of choice for self defense was the CCI stinger. Undoubtedly doesn't make as big a mess as the 9mm or .45 but the ability to shoot for critical parts (the brain) more then made up for it's lack of punch.

That's not BS. That's direct personal experience and allot of it.

Bull$hit.  If this happened to you as often as you say (routinely attacked by a pack of wild dogs on your way home most evenings and frequently had to shoot them), then there has to be a pic out there somewhere.  At least one.

Post the pics, or you're full of $hit. 

Or, just post of a pic of this magic 22LR that you had.

And, you just walked around in Florida with the M1 Carbine on you?  Really?  Explain that one...

MaDuce, you're full of $hit, man.  BIG TIME FULL OF $HIT. 

Edited by 98Z5V

I'm afraid I didn't have a camera; digital or film back in 1999 when this all happened. I DID at one time pick up a disposable camera but none of the pics taken had anything to do with the dog incidents. And besides, the attacks always happened after dark, save for 2 or 3 which happened between dusk and sunset. Even if I had a camera it's not like I would have stopped to take pictures after it happened. In most cases, I stood still or moving very slowly for a minute or 2 to make sure the threats were gone and then got the hell out of there.That "magic .22lr" was a H&R M949 with a custom trigger pull I gave it. Out of the 30+ guns I've owned in my life, I still have only a dozen or so. That gun is not among them.

I believe I mentioned that the M1 Carbine was an unrelated incident. I was just present when someone put his terminally ill dog down. He shot the dog in the jaw and the bullet came out his nose. So I quickly followed up with a double tap to the head to end the poor animal's suffering. This happened out in the woods near a designated firing range.

Whether this occurrence is out of the ordinary for that time I don't know but I frequently do things no one else does and have offered proof to you folks when available to offer. But I don't BS you or anyone else and I would appreciate you not judging your peers so rashley.

Edited by MaDuce

Shot a coyote once with a .22LR Yellowjacket.  Hit it in the eye and it came out the back of it's head leaving a quarter sized hole.  That was a one shot kill.  Thing was, he was standing dead still @ 30 of my paces (just shy of a yard each).  Tried it on a different stand a couple of days later but this time the 'yote was about 20 yards away and quartering away as he was leaving the area in a hurry.  The shot entered behind the last rib and lodged in the heart.  He traveled roughly 130 yards before collapsing and was still breathing when I got to him & finished him with a head shot.  No more .22 LR's for me on dogs. I switched to .223 with a 40 gr Hornady AMax and have never had one take more than a few steps - and that only if they're already running.  On the other hand, I've done a lot of shooting with a M-1 carbine too.  Mostly on jackrabbits and one Cous whitetail waaaay back when.  I always used Speer's 110 gr 'Plinker' HP over a modest charge of H-110 or WW 296 and never had to double tap anything

Gotta say it - if I were "routinely" being jumped by a pack of wild dogs, I'd probably change my route.  But then I'm a chicken when given the opportunity and a big  feral dog can ruin your day.  If I had to shoot them - something most cities kinda frown on - it'd be with my carry gun - a Para-Ordnance P-12 .45.  

Edited by briflemn762

Whether this occurrence is out of the ordinary for that time I don't know but I frequently do things no one else does and have offered proof to you folks when available to offer. But I don't BS you or anyone else and I would appreciate you not judging your peers so rashley.

In a series of tall tales and strange stories, what you've stated is right up there with the champions.  Seems far-fetched, at very best.  Might be true - who knows?  Not "judging you rashley," just calling it as bull$hit - nothing more.

The real head-shaking, though, is coming from your own lyrics to a song, of shooting a cop.  "Disturbing" isn't even a word I'd use for that.  Something just ain't right...

How's that for an honest observation, from a peer?

At a certain point, it is not hard to take some stories with a huge grain of salt. I have been attacked by dogs twice in my younger days, but they were both in an urban setting, by individual dogs. I find it hard to beli ve that if a pack of wild dogs were attacking people, that the DNR or local government wouldn't be set to exterminate them. With all due respect Ma Deuce, it is a tough story to believe. But I have never lived in rural Florida either.

Remember the Howard Sterns rule about weird $hit alwats happens in Florida ,Ohio ,Texas and California !

Yea morning show I used to listened to played a game called fla or German, they'd read a stange story and you had to guess where it happened

The thing is tho, not that I'm some grizzly Adams mountain man but I've been in the wilderness with plenty of mean poop and normally they stay away, this bear hunt I was on last sept I was less than 30 yards from a black bear at dusk in the brush he like most animals chose to slip off the other way, I've been out west and walked thru fresh brown bear sign yet never saw one, there are wolves and yote's all over the north woods of wi rarely do you see them unless they cross you on stand. Unless sick or protecting young most animals won't fornicate with you......

Like sisco said its just really hard to believe

Yea morning show I used to listened to played a game called fla or German, they'd read a stange story and you had to guess where it happened

The thing is tho, not that I'm some grizzly Adams mountain man but I've been in the wilderness with plenty of mean poop and normally they stay away, this bear hunt I was on last sept I was less than 30 yards from a black bear at dusk in the brush he like most animals chose to slip off the other way, I've been out west and walked thru fresh brown bear sign yet never saw one, there are wolves and yote's all over the north woods of wi rarely do you see them unless they cross you on stand. Unless sick or protecting young most animals won't fornicate with you......

Like sisco said its just really hard to believe

Yeah.  For all the coyotes I've shot, I've never had one attack me.  Except for a couple I shot chowing down on  neighbors new-born calf, every one I've shot has been called in.  I've done a lot of target shooting and am a member of the 'red-mist' bunch LOL (turning prairie dogs into red-mist via high velocity impacts) .  One thing I've never tried tho' is precision shots on a charging dog in the dark with a .22 LR.  Sounds like a job for a shotgun with a barrel light - but that's just me. <dontknow> 

A buddy of mine is shaped like a bowling ball. He's 5'06" 290 lbs. He got shot with a .22lr (in the hip) outside of a bar one night. He told me later that the impact hit him so hard in the hip that it doubled him over and he hit the ground. Then he jumped up and ran for cover inside the bar... The bullet hit his heavy leather belt and didn't penetrate through. A small bruise was the only damage.

A buddy of mine is shaped like a bowling ball. He's 5'06" 290 lbs. He got shot with a .22lr (in the hip) outside of a bar one night. He told me later that the impact hit him so hard in the hip that it doubled him over and he hit the ground. Then he jumped up and ran for cover inside the bar... The bullet hit his heavy leather belt and didn't penetrate through. A small bruise was the only damage.

Good thing he wasn't a dog in Florida, on a lonely rural road, at night.

Edited by Microgunner

A similar story with my friend's Dad, but he's built like a toothpick and it was a .25acp.  Stopped at Circle K after getting off shift, walked in on a robbery.  Robber lost.

While debriefing, another deputy said "What's that in your belt?"  The perp's bullet.

weebles wobble but they don't fall down.