• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I'm new to the site, just found it. Why an ar10, well how it starts is my first rifle was a springfield 1903a3. The exact rifle my great grandfather carried into battle in ww1. The only modification was a leopold 3-9, my father found it amusing watching 11 year old me wielding that 13lb rifle while elk and deer hunting. Joined the army (cav scout) and when I deployed to iraq 03-04 that same leopold went with. I was my platoon des mark. Agian in 07-09 that scope went back to iraq, agian a des mark but this time as personal security for a eod team. Ended up with m14 they pulled out of some warehouse somewhere. I was never so happy, I new first hand what that .30 cal round could do. The leopold went on that m14 with the help of a mount my dad sent me from home. Got back left the army and now that springfield still still sits in my safe however now topped with a bit more beat up leopold. While I was deployed I hated the.barreta so my personal preferencewas a jericho 914 45acp. I always loved the .30 cal and loved even more a .30 cal semi auto, but wanted more than a m1, so I got a dpms sass. Not a larue a know but its never malfunctioned, maybe not as accurate, but when bullets fly the other way its not the rifle so much as the person behind the trigger. As a side note my boy (8) keeps eye balling that springfield

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always been an AK guy and hated cleaning AR rifles. I liked shooting them well enough, but have always been less than impressed w 5.56 ammo and again, cleaning is not a joy to me so I stayed away from the stoner design. Then I shot a friends pws mk114 in 5.56 and fell in love w how soft it shoots and more importantly, how clean the inside of the receiver was compared to standard ARs. Still had the 5.56 issue but then along came 300blk and I made the leap knowing I wanted a suppressed rifle platform that I could also comfortably hunt deer and cow elk with.

I bought a mk116 300blk upper from pws and slapped it on a Noveske gen2 lower. That started my AR sickness. From there I started lusting after bigger and better things. At the time my precision 308 rifle position was filled by an Ndm-86 in .308. Extremely accurate and beautiful gun but spare parts are non existent and stupid expensive when you find them. I refused to sell it due to rarity and my obsession w SVDs. At that point in time though one of my dogs ended up needing surgery and I had no cash for it. I made a quick deal and made a nice chunk of change selling the NDM. Unfortunately the week before the surgery we had to put that dog to sleep due to too many complications. I was left w a couple thousand dollars, an empty spot in my safe, and a lot of grief from losing the best dog I've ever had.

I decided since my Boerboel was gone that I would replace the 308 in my collection and started shooting as many different variants as I could get my hands on. The only rifle I didn't get a chance to shoot was the Noveske N6 but didn't care for the mag setup anyways. Of all the rifles I shot in 308 the pws guns tickled me the most. Softer shooting and just seemed to balance better for me. I could run their 16in very close to how I can run a normal ar15 in terms of speed and target transitioning. I was hooked on them. So the search began for one. Then one day while killing time at SGC between appointments I saw the Mk216 hanging on their wall. It was $500 cheaper than I'd seen one anywhere online. Hmmmmm. I came back the next day w cash in hand, talked them down another $250 to beat most of the tax and walked out w it. It has become my favorite rifle to shoot.

Edited by Boerboel guy

It was a weapon systems I didn't have in the stable...Now that couldn't go unaddressed could it now!

I was never really into blackrifles and I got the bug bad a couple weeks back...I have built just about everything else and other kits seem to be dried up. After this 308 assembly I guess I will have to move on to pistols I don't have in the barn...get stuff like a Highway Patrolman! Maybe a PPK, P1...just start filling in the holes before handguns dry up...

Hi Guys. I'm a newbie to the board and the AR308 platform. I'm retired USAF and worked on Minuteman Missiles so naturally I wanted the big bang. I have several AR15's but I love the Idea of stretching it out. I have a DPMS upeer and lower with a fluted 20" SS barrel. I'm currently on #2 and checking out Shadow Ops!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, one'st upon a time I wuz a walkin' down the road wit my trusty AR-15 and I seed this here big ole buck deer jest a standin there in this feller's yard and I figured, whut the heck, it close to opinin' day, so I took me a close aim an shot that sucker! Durn, he dint even move, so I smoked him again and still nothin. That wuz one tough deer! 'bout the time I wuz a drawin' down on him fer the third time the little ole lady that lived in the house cum out on the porch an jest give me a real toung lashin' 'bout shootin' up her archery target!  Rite then an there I determined I needed somethin' that would shoot further out so's she couldn't see it was me what was shootin' up her target!  'Sides which, who ever heard uv any body what needed a target to practice on when there's real deer jest a wanderin' through?

LR-.308 vs. AR-15 ... Range, range, and more range!

• 2 weeks later...