• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Member and New 308AR Build

aphorton

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to check in and introduce myself.  I'm a gun guy from FL who just purchased the parts needed for a 308AR build. I arrived at this site, courtesy of Google, a little on the late side, but not so late that I can't make some adjustments to the parts of my build ahead of assembly. I'm basing my first 308AR build on the Aero Precision M5 upper and lower with an Aero lower parts kit and rifle buffer kit , Luth-AR MBA-1 stock, topped off with a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S trigger. I'm using a Ballistic Advantage 18" .308 1:10 mid length barrel wrapped in an Aero 15" Atlas R-One M-LOK hand guard. I think that covers the main details of the build.

I've read some posts on the forum and now I'm a little confused regarding the need for an adjustable gas block and what exact gas tube I should get. I see numerous references to the Armalite carbine length tube: #10007005, but on the Aero site the mid length tubes for sale on the M5 related pages seem to be stock AR15 lengths. More digging...

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and thanks in advance to those who provide support and guidance to newbies like me.

6 hours ago, aphorton said:

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to check in and introduce myself.  I'm a gun guy from FL who just purchased the parts needed for a 308AR build. I arrived at this site, courtesy of Google, a little on the late side, but not so late that I can't make some adjustments to the parts of my build ahead of assembly. I'm basing my first 308AR build on the Aero Precision M5 upper and lower with an Aero lower parts kit and rifle buffer kit , Luth-AR MBA-1 stock, topped off with a LaRue Tactical MBT-2S trigger. I'm using a Ballistic Advantage 18" .308 1:10 mid length barrel wrapped in an Aero 15" Atlas R-One M-LOK hand guard. I think that covers the main details of the build.

I've read some posts on the forum and now I'm a little confused regarding the need for an adjustable gas block and what exact gas tube I should get. I see numerous references to the Armalite carbine length tube: #10007005, but on the Aero site the mid length tubes for sale on the M5 related pages seem to be stock AR15 lengths. More digging...

Anyway, I'm excited to be here and thanks in advance to those who provide support and guidance to newbies like me.

Solid build list.  BA barrels typically run AR15-length gas tubes, so you should be okay with the AR15 midlength gas tube.  Go ahead and assemble it with one, and check the length - it should look just like this, and the gas tube should end in the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - just like this:

174a7b64a17620e5564c0264ad885a92593789b8_2_750x1000.jpeg

As far as running the Aero rifle buffer kit - the buffer will be 5.200" long and weigh 5.4oz - the buffer will be good.  The receiver extension will be good, and measure an internal depth of 9 11/16".  I don't know about the spring that they use, but try it first.  If you have something funky happening with the cycling of the rifle, then switch the spring out to the Armalite EA1095 spring.  Gasport diameter on your barrel should be something between 0.080"~0.085" - measure that before you assemble everything.

Welcome aboard.

Edited by 98Z5V

It's really nice to receive such a welcome as new member. Thanks everyone who greeted me. I appreciate the additional guidance related to the build.  I'd like to be able to offer support to newbies myself to the extent I am qualified to do so. Can I get a quick opinion on build pics? Is it preferable to post some unboxing pics with feedback related to suppliers/shipping/support, etc. ahead of the build, or skip that and get straight to pics of the build in progress once everything arrives?  Your thoughts, gents?