• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Random Topic Thread

Armed Eye Doc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I volunteer to do that snow plowing! They don't even need to pay me! I wonder if they even feel the snowdrift when they hit them.

But the reason I came here... So many things in one post I didn't know where to put it.

My 9" TacSol Ruger Charger Takedown barrel came in and the Power Custom parts. OK, I ordered some of the wrong parts for my BX trigger. I called them and Randall told me to send it back for a credit on what will work since I indicated that's what I wanted. But I installed the barrel and long Ti charging handle, rod, and spring. I fired it for function and in 10 rounds got 3 malfunctions, stovepipes and double feeds. Short story, it was my fault. I wanted to lube things but for some reason forgot. Long story, I never change more than one part at a time for just that reason (except this time), so I backed up and removed the new charge handle assembly. Then lubed things and kept the shorter barrel (10" vs 9"). It worked fine. So I put the new assembly in and it still worked fine. So the malfunctions were solved. Amazing what a little lube will do.

I kept the Ti firing pin in the bolt, but I want other Ti parts to decrease the lock time. The literature states that it can cut it by 43%. So I'll buy it 2x and reduce it by 86%. Maybe 3x and ignition will happen before I even press the trigger. 🙂

OK, enough with the jokes. I had a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel on order but got a case of the butt and decided to look around some. Previously I had seen the 9" TacSol barrels and wondered if they were still available. They were, so I cancelled my Vol' barrel and ordered the TacSol. It was shipped in under 2 hours. It's a nice looking barrel that I just had to screw up by putting a HK 3 lug adapter on, but it needs to wear the can periodically so it had to be done. The bore looked really good. I didn't shed lots of tears over not getting the carbon fiber barrel and here's why. The stock barrel was actually about an ounce lighter and maybe 4-5" shorter than the carbon fiber barrel would have been. The goal of the build for the Charger SBR was to see just how small I could make a rifle and the Takedown breaks down into no part being longer than 10". The CF barrel would have been conservatively 14" long but I would have forgotten about the design goal and sucked it up. The TacSol barrel is 7+ ounces lighter than the stock barrel so I save weight and length. Now I need to sight it in (warmish days are coming) and eventually I want to make a "tool roll" for the various parts to complete the build. Or otherwise figure out a way to house the parts in a clandestine manner. Just for fun. 

Why did I build the SBR? Because it's America and because I could. I didn't really have any use for it but after I built it I realized just how good it would be for Steel Challenge. It'll be even better now with the muzzle having even less mass "out there". I see custom Steel Challenge rifles with short barrels but pipes welded to them to make them 16" and lessened mass. Mine doesn't have the false barrel welded on so has even less mass. I can't take it everywhere and where I can take it I need to let ATF know, but I stay in state so that's just not a big deal. 

Since you SBRd it, it doesn't really matter, but Tac-Sol makes this short-barrel with a can shroud, 16.5" total length.

Benefit - short barrel, but not SBR.  Add can, one tax stamp.  Not two tax stamps.  This barrel make a "rifle", add can with it's single tax stamp, and you're set.

https://tacticalsol.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1366891&CAT=13415

Yeah, that wouldn't have fit in with the goal of the design. I started with a Charger pistol (10" barrel) for simplicity and had the Ghost M can that I use on it. So why change the barrel? I was disappointed in the accuracy. It was/is OK for steel challenge but not accurate enough to suit me. 

16 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I was looking for the actual vid that didn't cut it off - and this one cut it off from the draw down, and stopped.  News states that he shot the guy 9 times.

Must have had a 9-round mag.  Don't stop, until the threat stops.  Until the threat stops, you're not done yet.  Protect yourself foremost, protect others if you're able.

15 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I was looking for the actual vid that didn't cut it off - and this one cut it off from the draw down, and stopped.  News states that he shot the guy 9 times.

Must have had a 9-round mag.  Don't stop, until the threat stops.  Until the threat stops, you're not done yet.  Protect yourself foremost, protect others if you're able.

Here's the video that picks up where the customer starts shooting. Yeah, he does LOTS of shooting. Might put him in deep kimchee in certain places. But the video isn't really clear when the actual threat stops, at least to my eye. He could still be trying to get to his firearm at the last shot(s). 

Cursor down in the link.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/robbery-suspect-shot-dead-armed-customer-houston-taqueria-video/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=the-gateway-pundit&utm_campaign=dailyam&utm_content=2023-01-08

1 hour ago, BrianK said:

Here's the video that picks up where the customer starts shooting. Yeah, he does LOTS of shooting. Might put him in deep kimchee in certain places. But the video isn't really clear when the actual threat stops, at least to my eye. He could still be trying to get to his firearm at the last shot(s). 

Cursor down in the link.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/01/robbery-suspect-shot-dead-armed-customer-houston-taqueria-video/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=the-gateway-pundit&utm_campaign=dailyam&utm_content=2023-01-08

By my count the 1st four shots were more than likely justified.  As you say he could still be going for his weapon as he was running away.  The 5th through 9th not so much.  With those the robber was either going down or with the 9th laying face down on the ground.  He will definitely be looked at.

I’ve been at war with the squirrels all winter! They chewed a hole thru my plastic barrel I keep my bird seed in, then thru the foil tape I patched it with. I finally got a metal trash can so I tried seeing if I could use the plastic one as a trap, not a trap but fun to watch……

if you see me post smoked squirrel soon, mind ya business 

FF2B9B96-7FDA-43A1-BC28-6F7D4F888708.jpeg

4FDCC275-D3E4-43EF-9C72-B8C0F3BDC8DA.jpeg

EEEB4D9C-771D-448F-B580-083025E9F500.jpeg

557E4189-95B0-486A-AA57-11C46D4863B5.jpeg

C0929902-46F9-4C14-B89B-DD93C39F78C8.jpeg

56E2E7F7-B333-4A78-A138-02A6DB50C3E5.jpeg

7 hours ago, dpete said:

By my count the 1st four shots were more than likely justified.  As you say he could still be going for his weapon as he was running away.  The 5th through 9th not so much.  With those the robber was either going down or with the 9th laying face down on the ground.  He will definitely be looked at.

Yes, what I saw were finishing shots but I didn't want to write that. The last one looks suspiciously like one to the head. 

I sure hope the cops and DA like him, but it's Houston and the comments stated that it's a Soros bought and paid for DA. He should get a medal, but I think he's screwed. They can charge him whenever they like if they charge him with murder.

If I was on the foreman on that Grand Jury I might try to swing the votes.

2 hours ago, shepp said:

That or squirrel and dumplings, I got five fat ones To chose from 

***been fed well too, corn, peanuts and sunflower seeds

You need to have a little fun like that guy that made the glitter bombs.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:50 AM, DNP said:

You need to have a little fun like that guy that made the glitter bombs.

I’ve seen that one it’s great! 

another funny thing and it goes to show how funny and smart crows are. This fall the squirrels were taking peanuts and “hiding” them in the empty lot. One day I noticed 2-3 of them doing this and a few crows came by and perched in my apple tree watching the squirrels. After about 10 min the crows landed in the lot and scared off the squirrels and ate their stash. I’ve seen the crows do this a couple times now and it makes me giggle.

that’s the biggest thing that pisses me off, they stash all this shit they’ll never find again. 

Reminds me of the year (sorta) where I'd had enough of the red squirrels coming out of the forest and raiding my bird feeding station. I lost count at over 100 meeting their maker that year and they still came with seemingly the same numbers as they began the shooting season. The coyotes learned very quickly where I was throwing their carcasses. So I had a coyote feeding station as well. I never had the patience to wait for them to show up.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:43 PM, BrianK said:

Reminds me of the year (sorta) where I'd had enough of the red squirrels coming out of the forest and raiding my bird feeding station. I lost count at over 100 meeting their maker that year and they still came with seemingly the same numbers as they began the shooting season. The coyotes learned very quickly where I was throwing their carcasses. So I had a coyote feeding station as well. I never had the patience to wait for them to show up.

Excuse me, you were killing and tossing squirrels?!? 🥴🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Yeah…that’s what most of us do with rats. You can’t eat the ones here. The young ones are fun because they have no idea what’s going on yet. Shoot one, ten stand up and look around. It’s like an arcade come springtime.