• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Louisiana!

JMJ

Ran across this site back in 2015 while researching parts to build out my Aero Precision M5 receiver set. The wealth of wisdom here resulted in my sticking with all parts from AP/Ballistic Advantage and going with an A2 length receiver extension and fixed stock along with 20” barrel and rifle length gas system. Originally built it as a hog and deer hunting rifle and wanted a very reliable rig, which is what I got from following the advice others were given here. I’ve been lurking here reading more and more over the last 7 months to a year and finally decided to join. I’ve been a hunter and gun enthusiast since I was a child and shot some competitions while in jr high and high school. I got into building and shooting small frame AR rifles back around 2009 and have been hooked ever since, eventually after playing with 450BM and a few other small frame alternative cartridges friends had I decided I would be better off with a large frame AR as a dedicated hunting rig in either 308 or 7mm-08. 

Here’s my AP M5 308, pretty basic rifle but fills the role I have in mind pretty well. I’ve swapped the Leupold Vari-x II 3-9x50mm for a VX2 2-7x33mm since it seems to fit my uses better. I’ve also got an ATN X-Sight Gen 1 I plan to use on it some that’s served me well on my 5.56 rifles. 
evirLiX.jpg

Thanks everyone!

4 hours ago, Radioactive said:

Yo from Alabama. Good to hear from someone that has the drive to do some research themselves rather than want info spoon fed. Stick around get to know some of the regulars they are a hoot.

Thanks, sometimes I feel like I go overboard researching something before I try my hand at it, but I hate having issues with something then realizing it was cause I rushed a process without understanding full whatever it was I was doing. Through my time lurking and researching on a few different AR forums I really grew to like and respect the attitudes and helpful demeanor here vs the others. 

On 10/25/2020 at 11:23 AM, JMJ said:

Thanks, sometimes I feel like I go overboard researching something before I try my hand at it

The only thing that will get you is a functional rifle to start and more money for ammo and/or money for the next project.  I say that is the best way to do things.:thumbup:

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

8 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The only thing that will get you is a functional rifle to start and more money for ammo and/or money for the next project.  I say that is the best way to do things.:thumbup:

Thats what I hope for! So far I’ve got no issues or regrets about any of my small frame or large frame AR decisions.

Well except trading off my 20” bushmaster 450BM upper in 2013 when the ammo production was being rumored to drop or drastically reduced. It was really fun setup and hunting rig for thick woods. The 223 Wylde upper I received in trade got disassembled and build into a 300blk pistol. Traded the 18” 223 Wylde bull barrel for 200 rounds of M118LR 175gr. 

Here’s some of the other AR’s I’ve got in my collection. First is a 16” mid length gas 5.56 built with an Aero Precision upper, Ballistic Advantage barrel and YHM Todd Jarrett rail, Surplus Ammo and Arms lower and LMT SOPMOD stock w/ ACOG.  Second is my first AR15, Bushmaster Predator 20” 5.56 complete upper on another SSA lower, now wears a Leupold Vari-x ii 3-9x50mm. Lastly is a 300 Blackout pistol i built from spare parts I had sitting around from upgrading others AR’s and from an 18” 223 Wylde JSE upper I got in trade for a 20” Bushmaster .450BM upper I regret letting go now that the ammo isn’t scarce like it was then. I plan for this little blackout to be short yardage hunting rig in the woods and for worst case HD. The barrel was gifted from a friend, the upper parts and YHM Todd Jarrett rail were from the JSE varmint upper. The lower is an Anderson poverty pony with milled trigger guard and the cheek weld/brace is a Thordsen Customs buffer tube/cover system with MFT cheek saddle. Optic is a Vortex Strikefire and a Vortex 3x magnifier. 

I’ve also got a 16” carbine gas 5.56 PSA upper on a regular Anderson lower with Magpul MBUS sights as another worst case HD house gun. 

ADB87686-632D-46A2-BC90-AF776FD5388E.jpeg

3C96F45E-686A-4BFE-BF34-40C745534AC4.jpeg

3D18263A-497E-45E8-B91A-793DCA4DF591.jpeg

A8C3077A-EA7F-4468-B97E-867B3B24AD45.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Welcome from Arkansas

Thanks! What area of Arkansas do you live? I lived in Booneville and Fort Smith for a few years and still have close friends in Fort Smith. Such a beautiful state and a I miss it. 

22 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm up in the Fayetteville area. I lucked out and found a few acres on what passes for a mountain around here. Too steep to mow, with trees and giant slabs of rock for eye candy. You're right, it's beautiful country.

Greetings from Central Obamastan, I used to live in Jacksonville on LRAFB a long, long time ago, just an AirForceBrat....

• 1 year later...

Been a bit since I’ve logged in here. Over the last couple years I’ve regretted not going with a carbine receiver extension and stock on my Aero M5 when I first built it cause I find those setups a lot handier in box stands and still hunting in thick woods. I went A2 with the Magpul MOE fixed stock mainly cause I’d read so many things about buffer system problems and cycling issues. After reading through the forum and seeing all the advice on carbine systems I finally bit the bullet and changed out my 308 A2 system for a Forward Controls Design 9-position A5/Armalite length buffer tube, H3 Aero Precision AR15 length buffer and the original 308 A2 action spring with a Magpul ACS stock. I think this this configuration will be much more suited to hunting with this rifle and it setup very similar to how I have my main hunting 5.56 a bushmaster predator.  35910D6E-A58B-411E-ABD2-64FCB6D28F43.thumb.jpeg.8b7aec0ff13c876bc1d6417d649adb30.jpegI did some parts swapping on a few of my rifles the last two years since I’ve posted. 

Edited by JMJ

Nice collection of rigs, @JMJ - very well done.  You mentioned 7mm-08 in your first post - that one is something for me.  Next on my list, and the completion of older cartridges that .308 Win spawned over decades.  In the ARs, I've got .308, .338 Fed, .358 Win, ..260 Rem.  I have a .243 Win Rem bolt gun, a Rem 783, right before Rem went under, and I'm glad I got it when I did, exceptional gun.  The other one that has been missing is the 7mm-08.  Lower receiver in-hand now, and awaiting Wilson Combat's stock to come back up and the barrel to show up on a sale.  I screwed up about 2 years ago, and should have grabbed it when it was on sale for $180.  Damnit.

It's a fun journey, for certain.  :thumbup:

7 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Nice collection of rigs, @JMJ - very well done.  You mentioned 7mm-08 in your first post - that one is something for me.  Next on my list, and the completion of older cartridges that .308 Win spawned over decades.  In the ARs, I've got .308, .338 Fed, .358 Win, ..260 Rem.  I have a .243 Win Rem bolt gun, a Rem 783, right before Rem went under, and I'm glad I got it when I did, exceptional gun.  The other one that has been missing is the 7mm-08.  Lower receiver in-hand now, and awaiting Wilson Combat's stock to come back up and the barrel to show up on a sale.  I screwed up about 2 years ago, and should have grabbed it when it was on sale for $180.  Damnit.

It's a fun journey, for certain.  :thumbup:

I’m still in debate if I want 7mm-08 as a bolt action or upper for my M5. I’ve also been BS’n with a gunsmith friend about a barrel to build a 16” upper in .458x2” American(the wildcat that spawned the 450Marlin) since I’ve got a 7mmRM I’ll have plenty brass for making cases to load and I already have a 45/70 I’m stocking component bullets for. That cartridge can be loaded to hot 45/70 levels. Either one will be a bit before I move on it, just joined a new deer lease in north Louisiana so that’ll be my focus for a bit along with taking my daughter on some hunts.