• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

On 7/5/2019 at 7:52 AM, shepp said:

A lot of guys do them and call it poor mans brisket

That is funny, because in Texas we began smoking brisket as a substitute for barbecued rump and pike peak beef roasts that became very expensive.  It was a few pros that pioneered making the cheapest cut of beef tender and delicious, now brisket has become high dollar beef, because of it's popularity.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mrmackc said:

It was a few pros that pioneered making the cheapest cut of beef tender and delicious, now brisket has become high dollar beef, because of it's popularity.

Grandma had that tender thing down with her corned beef, nothing like the store bought and you could feed five all week on a ten. We didn't start smoking them till the late 90's and there were a good number of tough dry briskets before dad figured out what worked for him. Now it's a delicacy with the price, still like ribeye better so steaks it is when laying out the bucks for good stuff.

16 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Grandma had that tender thing down with her corned beef, nothing like the store bought and you could feed five all week on a ten. We didn't start smoking them till the late 90's and there were a good number of tough dry briskets before dad figured out what worked for him. Now it's a delicacy with the price, still like ribeye better so steaks it is when laying out the bucks for good stuff.

AMEN on the RIBEYES!  Clubs (beef tenderloins) porterhouses and even T-bones!

My challenge is I buy a half a cow at a time from a local farmer and have my butcher cut it up and package it. Steaks and ground beef are easy, the lower quality cuts I am constantly looking for different ways to cook them. Arm roasts, for instance, can be a little stringy, so I thin cut them while partially frozen, marinate them in lemon juice, olive oil and greek spices. The lemon juice helps break down the connective tissue to make them less tough. I then put the slices on high heat on the grill to give them a bit of a crust while staying juicy. I serve then with home made Tzatiki sauce, with grilled onions and red peppers and feta cheese on pita bread. A lazy man’s beef gyro. 

Or I do the same, but substitute Adobo, and assorted chiles for the greek spices, substitute salsa or a homemade taco sauce for  the Tzatiki, and burritos for the pita, and have Mexican bistec.

What my butcher calls soup bones, I broil or grill and serve them as marrow bones with crostini, sea salt, and pepper.

Beef short ribs I braise or or smoke.

Chuck roasts I smoke, or slow cook with Italian spices and tomato's to make a dish very similar to Osso Bucco. 

Edited by Sisco

On 6/2/2012 at 9:26 PM, washguy said:

Hiya Mac  tri tip is hard to find here in Texas....Costco is one of the few places to cut it....oak/hickory you are right on!    <thumbsup>  Wash

IMAG0073.jpg

This looks good but in Texas we all gotta have DESERT!

image.thumb.png.262530def2ebea1ee6be8a5794940ceb.png

On 2/12/2019 at 8:46 PM, sketch said:

flat iron steak melt in your (bad pun here) mouth ? Ive been using butter on my shits since @washguy helped save Thanksgiving.. 

And a fresh salad with a rich gouda chopped thick!  and beer! 

20190212_191729.jpg

Brother Roman!!!   Didn't you do some kind of write-up on the prep of your flat iron steak?  I seem to remember something about it, but I can't find it anywhere.  I picked up a flat iron steak a couple days ago, and it's gonna get fired up tonight!   :banana::laffs:

On 3/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, sketch said:

trying to use the cast iron pan more since watching this dude. https://www.youtube.com/user/krollins57

did a ribeye and baked potato pretty fing good!

20190302_191310.jpg

@98Z5V This might be what you were thinking? using butter in the cast iron pan is damn good.  oil , garlic, and Johnny seasoning is my go to on most of my meats. Broiled or BBQ 👍🍻

6 hours ago, sketch said:

@98Z5V This might be what you were thinking? using butter in the cast iron pan is damn good.  oil , garlic, and Johnny seasoning is my go to on most of my meats. Broiled or BBQ 👍🍻

I screwed up and found a YT channel called "Cooking with Shotgun Red" - this is gonna be bad, when you see how many more videos he has...   :laffs:

^^^  I did it that way, butter too, in the skillet on the stovetop.  It was SO GOOD that I didn't get any pics...  :lmao:

I'll have to get another flat iron steak so I can get pics... 

We went to the butchers to get us his famous hot links and saw a Lil tri tip sitting there along with his bigger brothers...maybe 2.5 pounds...used black ops steak rub with cuckachuri rub...let it rest overbite then injected with beef boulion right before smokin....seared at 500 for 5mins a side...then turned temp down to 275...didn't take 25 mins to get to 135 internal pulled it off...sliced er up.....Wash

20190714_174640.jpg

20190714_174940.jpg

20190714_175046.jpg

gdammm i hope my ribs are as juicy as that!! 🍻

2 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I screwed up and found a YT channel called "Cooking with Shotgun Red" - this is gonna be bad, when you see how many more videos he has...   :laffs:

^^^  I did it that way, butter too, in the skillet on the stovetop.  It was SO GOOD that I didn't get any pics...  :lmao:

I'll have to get another flat iron steak so I can get pics... 

trick is plan it out so that all the rest is not cold when setting the table.. 

9 minutes ago, sketch said:

gdammm i hope my ribs are as juicy as that!! 🍻

trick is plan it out so that all the rest is not cold when setting the table.. 

I have that shiit down to a science, brother...   :thumbup:

23 hours ago, washguy said:

We went to the butchers to get us his famous hot links and saw a Lil tri tip sitting there along with his bigger brothers...maybe 2.5 pounds...used black ops steak rub with cuckachuri rub...let it rest overbite then injected with beef boulion right before smokin....seared at 500 for 5mins a side...then turned temp down to 275...didn't take 25 mins to get to 135 internal pulled it off...sliced er up.....Wash

20190714_174640.jpg

20190714_174940.jpg

20190714_175046.jpg

Pretty sure myself and the guy that runs the grill dept at the local ace have been keeping them in stock at the local grocery store, love’n me some tri tip

No pics, sorry. My best friend retired as a fire captain last week and his wife asked if I could do a brisket. Happened to have a 14 pound monster in my freezer. Started on Thursday brining it for 24 hours in a solution of salt and pepper. Took it out Friday morning and cut off 2 and 1/2 pounds of extra fat off the cap. Made a slather of Worcestershire sauce, Montreal Steak Seasoning and Famous Dave’s Rib Rub. Hand rubbed it down and put in the fridge. I got up 2 am Saturday morning and got the smoker going with some bone maple for flavor. Monitored the heat until it was stable at 215F, then went back to bed at 4am. Woke up at 7am and checked it. Had a nice bark but was starting to dry out a trace. So at 8 pm I foil wrapped it and put it in the oven at 210F until the party at 3 pm. Wish I had taken a picture. Was the best brisket I have ever done. Moist, flavorful, and with a beautiful bark. My friend was appreciative. None left, dammit!

Shepp is doing it better than I ever could I’m sure. Salt pepper garlic. All it will ever need. Cook it indirect til about 125 and then throw it on a hot open grill o we direct heat for 1.5-2 minutes per side.