• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

23 hours ago, EngrBob said:

Couldn't resist the $169.99 8 lb jug of Varget from Lohman Arms.

Saw that, almost did it myself

55 minutes ago, shepp said:

+1 but 308 acss

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AR500 Steal Target and Stand

I haven’t bought anything gun related unless you count a couple of AR500 targets.   A couple of weeks ago I bought my first a 12”x ½” target from Competition Target Systems.   I liked so much I bought

another one but this time I ordered a 16”x ½” plate.    It came in today.    So back to building a second target stand.    This is my first target and stand, rebuilt from one tire to two tires.   I’ll build another two tire stand for my 16” target.

IMG_1122_zpskwjhwvqn.jpg

IMG_1123_zps1ta8ckky.jpg

IMG_1128_zpstcykiohz.jpg

IMG_1140_zpsupbxg5yg.jpg

IMG_1142_zpsh7trrsed.jpg

IMG_1145_zps5mzqmpcq.jpg

Wolf

My 6.8 SPC barrel and bolt arrived today.  About 75% finished milling the lower so I should be able to get the lower together and be ready to assemble the upper when the handguard arrives next week.  This should end up being fairly light, even with the 20" medium profile barrel.

2 minutes ago, EngrBob said:

My 6.8 SPC barrel and bolt arrived today.  About 75% finished milling the lower so I should be able to get the lower together and be ready to assemble the upper when the handguard arrives next week.  This should end up being fairly light, even with the 20" medium profile barrel.

This is going to be a cool build.  :thumbup:

Ive always been interested in this caliber but I've never been at the range when anybody there was firing one and haven't been able to see it in action.  Please keep us advised on what you think of the caliber once you get it up and running.

9 hours ago, GRA said:

This is going to be a cool build.  :thumbup:

Ive always been interested in this caliber but I've never been at the range when anybody there was firing one and haven't been able to see it in action.  Please keep us advised on what you think of the caliber once you get it up and running.

I built a 6.5 Grendel that seems to be fine for deer but wanted to see how the 6.8 SPC compares.  Most shots here in west Texas are 200-yards or less; however there are instances where a 300 yard shot presents itself.  While the Grendel and the 308 are well within a few inches at 300 yards on the range I would like to consistently get within 2 inches before trying a shot at that range in the field.  So, it will be a competition to see which groups best at 300.

29 minutes ago, EngrBob said:

I built a 6.5 Grendel that seems to be fine for deer but wanted to see how the 6.8 SPC compares.  Most shots here in west Texas are 200-yards or less; however there are instances where a 300 yard shot presents itself.  While the Grendel and the 308 are well within a few inches at 300 yards on the range I would like to consistently get within 2 inches before trying a shot at that range in the field.  So, it will be a competition to see which groups best at 300.

I have always wanted to hunt long-shot at the desert Mule deer in west Texas.  Never been able to before but now that I'm retired I might have a chance.  I was once told that you often have to hunt horseback for mulies when you're out around Sierra Blanca.

Are deer the only thing you're hunting out that way or have you been able to go after other critters?

2 hours ago, GRA said:

I have always wanted to hunt long-shot at the desert Mule deer in west Texas.  Never been able to before but now that I'm retired I might have a chance.  I was once told that you often have to hunt horseback for mulies when you're out around Sierra Blanca.

Are deer the only thing you're hunting out that way or have you been able to go after other critters?

Mule Deer and Whitetails are the prime critters.  A couple of counties have Pronghorn but you need a special permit for them.  Wild hogs are considered exotic and there is no season but you need to have a license (that was the primary reason for building the .338 Federal).

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, mine_is_7.62 said:

finally starting my 1st LR308/AR10 build.  found this upper on sale and pulled the trigger :)

http://www.digitals-ar-products.com/product-p/ar-10-billet-comp-16-ss.htm

now i just need the PSA lowers to come back in stock

Have you checked their specs last I knew PSA had their own thing going FYI

• 2 weeks later...