• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2017 at 8:39 PM, EngrBob said:

Just got my LaRue MBT-2.  Waiting on an SAA billet upper so I can finish a 16" 308 just because.

When you get the SAA upper could you post a short review on it? The reason I ask is that I bought one from the first batch and the pivot and take down pin holes were substantially oversize resulting in a somewhat loose fit - for the $99.00 price I decided eventually I'll ream the holes slightly oversize and press thin wall bushings in the holes to bring them back to spec.

5 hours ago, guruofhotrod said:

When you get the SAA upper could you post a short review on it? The reason I ask is that I bought one from the first batch and the pivot and take down pin holes were substantially oversize resulting in a somewhat loose fit - for the $99.00 price I decided eventually I'll ream the holes slightly oversize and press thin wall bushings in the holes to bring them back to spec.

Sure, be happy to, but it isn't a $99 upper, it's a $199 308 complete upper (including dust cover and forward assist).  I got it because I wanted to try a billet rather than a forged upper.  It is suppose to get here tomorrow.

Just ordered the last AR barrel nut wrench from Accuracy Speaks. Several articles online agreed theirs was hands-down the best. Called them up and they said they had one left and will not be having any more made.

Just PayPal'ed the money to them. For $55 it damn well better be the best at the one thing it does.

This is a close up of the scope mounted. This one is far different than the P-308 that is readily available. My opinion was that the dealer did a shitty job of bore sighting as it literally took 7 shots (6- 147 grain cheap Magtech ammo and 1 with expensive ammo), before I hit a 9" plate, at 25 yards. I was not very happy. Once I knew where I was, it was easily dialed in at 25 yrds with 5 more rounds and then I went to 100 yards. It took  6 shots more, to consistently be 1" left or right and 3" high. I used 8 more 175 grain and brought it down to 1" high and left or right 1". Wind was gusty left to right and I was miserable and un-happy that I forgot more of the cheaper ammo. I packed it up and came home. I didn't even retrieve my targets. Just not a fun day (2.5 hours) I hope to put at least 20 to 50 more rounds through, before going out further to 200 yrds. The glass is amazingly clear though. No complaints about that.

Glass 1.jpg

I am learning this scope as I go GRA. I'll let you know if it holds what I have it set to after next weekend, if the weather is good for me to shoot. It was a completely overcast day and 10:00 am to 12:30 pm should have provided me with the best light available. I am expecting this thing will allow ample light to pass for sunrise/set hours. Eye relief is over 3", so I do wonder what will happen in bright sunlight from different angles.  So far, all I can say is that it's amazingly clear. Especially compared to my previous, 30 year old Simmons.

The mounts are from Brownells and they were expensive, but in all of my searching for steel rings, these looked the most rugged. They ARE heavy. I reported on the poor machining finish earlier in this thread. I fit these things perfectly on a shaft I made to 30mm and minus .0005. That's how I found the internal bumps. Bluing ink is a wonderful thing. I would definitely recommend pre-fitting any cast or machined rings to a known shaft, before ever laying a scope tube.

Thanks Morgan for the update and details.  I've noticed Nikon offers 2 P-308 models.  Which model (or power) do you have?

I'm taking my time and researching all this.  I've narrowed Nikon down to the P-308 and the M-308.  One of the P-308 models is only about $50.00 cheaper than the M-308 scopes so I'm curious as to where and how you get the extra scope for the money.

I'm also looking at Steiners and Trijicons but off course the lower priced models of these two.

A lot of this is on earlier pages of this thread. Tis why I posted the info I have. Nikon DOES have 2 versions of the P-308 scope I pictured on my rifle. This one is  4x16, 30 mm tube, 42 mm objective lens, side focus and is still hard to find. You will pay over 400.00 for a new one and I'm unaware of any refurbs yet. They just came out in June of last year. I like you, did a lot of research and it was going to be the new P-308 or Vortex Viper for me. A lot of sites had the scope advertised, but when you went to click on check out, they all said back ordered. The place I bought from said there was no deposit required for me to place my order, so I called every 4 days until it came in. (Jan 2nd to March, as I posted) I looked at both scopes in the store and decided to take the one I ordered from Nikon.

I guess what I am saying is, I don't know how many of the reviews on the P-308 are truly reviewing the "new" model. I would say that any review dated prior to June 6th of 2016, is probably on the original P-308 scope. They are totally different in every way. Make note of the tube diameter. The 30 mm tube, is the newest one.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I did go back a ways in the thread but obviously I did't go back for enough or was in the wrong place.

I'm glad you pointed out the new P-308 is the 30mm tube.  I think all the models I've reviewed were the 1" tube but I could be wrong.

Actually I think the side focus feature is new also.

Here is the higher-priced P-308 (from at least one seller):

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nikon-p-308-4-16x42mm-bdc-800-hunting-scope?a=2044986&_br_psugg_q=nikon+p-308 

Here is the M-308 that is about $50.00 more (from the same seller):

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nikon-m-308-4-16x42mm-bdc-800-reticle-rifle-scope?a=1023114

The P-308 is showing a 30mm tube while the more expensive M-308 is showing a 1" tube.  My understanding is the 30mm affords more light.  I need the BDC reticle, or something very similar to it.

Again, thanks for the information. :thumbup:

That is interesting. By the Sportsman's Guide own print, the M-308 comes "usually" 1' or 30mm tube. This is getting nuts. They don't have the specs listed right either. Not an argument, just some observations. Then, when you look at the reviews, a photo stands out with one of these scopes mounted,  that would surly give the user a scope eye.

The eye relief is indeed, 3.7" to 4", or you will not be able to see a damned thing.  The new P-308 is a full 2.5" to 3" longer than the M-308. Again, not an argument starter. Just stating some general news about this confusing info on these 2 different models (which is really 4 different models) of scopes.

One thing is clear. I have what I have and it is exactly what I wanted and ordered. There was NO surprise when I opened the box at this store and what I show in the pic above is the actual way it fits on my rifle. Notice that the eye receiver is just slightly forward and ahead of the charging handle now, for proper eye relief. The previously mounted Simmons (also pictured) was, approximately 1.75" rearward of the charging handle and made it difficult to pull that 308 spring back! Even with the single side extension.

All of the things that were appealing to me, are featured. I sure don't know as much as the rest of you all on this board, but I know this has changed this rifle completely and for the better.

I don't know if SG's info. is all that accurate with regards to both models (or all 4 models).

From what I can tell Nikon has 2 M-308 models; 1- BDC and 1-Nikoplex.  The BDC is what I need.  Nikon also has 2 P-308 models and they are about $200 +/- cost difference between the 2 and I'm sure the cheaper model is the older P-3-8 you've referred to.  It appears they've updated the P-308 but not the M-308.  I'm not sure how long the M-308 models have been out.  So far this is how I make sense of it all ... LOL

What I'm concerned with he most is eye relief and available light.  Where your scope is mounted on the weapon is about where I pictured a good distance to be.  With a 30mm tube I should get the same or better light transmission, and most likely a little better.  This matters to me with a noon-illuminated scope.

I'm going to find a good dealer locally and go in to check these out soon and at a time when they are not very busy so I'll have time to check them all out.

Thanks again for the assistance and please give us another update when you get back out to the range.  :thumbup:

Returned my Shield red dot w/BDC. Was a nice product with a selection of different reticles. Now I have a astigmatism  in my left eye and the dot got a little blurry even a the low bright setting. Sent it for exchange for a Vortex 1X prism w/adjustable ocular and runs on a AAA battery. Brownells exchanged and credited my account, no problem:thumbup:. Even after having it for a year.