• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are you listening to?

Bigfoot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Glover podcast, Fieldcraft Survival Channel, on YT.

DJ Shipley and Cole on there for this one, talking about transitioning out of the .mil machine.  It's pretty damn good.

Pay attention at around 18:48 in there...   "You don't have a Platoon of Rangers coming to save your ass..."  

The whole thing is just badass conversation.

Do a whole career, and get out - it ain't easy.  Not in the least.  It's not easy to "learn how to be a civilian" after 20 years - when there is NOTHING related to civilians in your background.  The transition is no joke...

Maybe if you only did 4 years or 6 years - not so much of a problem.  To dedicate your young life for the defense of the nation...  and then, you're done.  That's not easy.  It's work, and it's work on yourself, your future, goals, your life...  I signed up at 17,  retired at 39.  That's a pretty shiitty transition, find your way, find your life, make something of it...

It's a sucky experience, but you gotta do something, get over it, and drive on.  I don't wish it on anybody, not even a worst enemy.  I have a few of those, but they don't need to go through that.  

EDIT - Well, maybe a few of my worst enemies need to feel pain, and I really wish they'd feel the life-pain of a transition like that.  For those - I hope they can't do it.  Fail.  :thefinger:

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/28/2022 at 10:33 PM, 98Z5V said:

Mike Glover podcast, Fieldcraft Survival Channel, on YT.

DJ Shipley and Cole on there for this one, talking about transitioning out of the .mil machine.  It's pretty damn good.

Pay attention at around 18:48 in there...   "You don't have a Platoon of Rangers coming to save your ass..."  

The whole thing is just badass conversation.

Do a whole career, and get out - it ain't easy.  Not in the least.  It's not easy to "learn how to be a civilian" after 20 years - when there is NOTHING related to civilians in your background.  The transition is no joke...

Maybe if you only did 4 years or 6 years - not so much of a problem.  To dedicate your young life for the defense of the nation...  and then, you're done.  That's not easy.  It's work, and it's work on yourself, your future, goals, your life...  I signed up at 17,  retired at 39.  That's a pretty shiitty transition, find your way, find your life, make something of it...

It's a sucky experience, but you gotta do something, get over it, and drive on.  I don't wish it on anybody, not even a worst enemy.  I have a few of those, but they don't need to go through that.  

EDIT - Well, maybe a few of my worst enemies need to feel pain, and I really wish they'd feel the life-pain of a transition like that.  For those - I hope they can't do it.  Fail.  :thefinger:

He’s been hosting more brcc pods too, he hosted the pod I just put up 

Went through this one tonight - very, very good. 

Best aviators on the planet.  I've flown with these guys alot, both training rotations and combat.  Their skills can't be rivaled. 

You go to a planning mission with them, brief YOUR mission, tell them your TOT (Time On Target), and they guarantee that they'll deliver you on your predetermined point at +/- 30 seconds of your TOT. 

Unreal aviators, and the absolute masters of rotary wing flight.   :thumbup:

Had some pretty hairy flights with these guys, both sides of that field, training/combat.  The only combat side with them was Afghani-land.  They can perform the impossible.  Routinely.

Mad Respect.  :hail:

The only extractions I've ever done with them have all been training, thankfully.  They are badass as picking people up.  They plan it, you say what you want, and they DO IT...  Exactly like you state it needs to be done.  The only thing they deviate from is if it might be a hot extraction - you need a lift, and you're under fire.

They'll land exactly where you tell them to land - unless it's hot.  If it's hot, they'll place that bird directly between you, and the threat, and those miniguns will be blazing.  They will protect you, on extraction, and place themselves in harms way to get you out. 

I've briefed extraction points as this - far recognition signal, near recognition signal, to guide them directly on top of you  -and I mean RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU.

I've briefed them far recognition signals, and near recognition signals.  Far recognition is my IR strobe, in the pouch, not out in the open - they pick that right up, and hone in on it.  Near recognition, IR chem light on a 6-foot piece of 550 cord, I'll be swinging it, laying flat on my back, making it an "IR buzz saw" - I want you to land the wire strike system directly on my nuts... 

They fucking do it.  They land the helicopter directly on top of you.

It's a rush...   :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

I got stuck on another Task Force 160 interview last night, but couldn't finish it.  I just did, and it's an unreal story.  This one is ultimately about Robert's Ridge, in Afghaniland.

I've read 2 different books on Roberts' Ridge.  This battle occurred between March 3rd and March 5th, 2002.  When the first aircraft went in there, that's when Neil Roberts fell out of the aircraft on the mountain.  Later, another MH-47 went in loaded up with a Platoon of Rangers to recover him, and it was a hellish battle.  This is the pilot of the first aircraft.

Alan Mack. I've never heard this story about that action.

This whole thing is a tick over 2:15 long.  It's worth it.  At 1:23:00 they really get into what he was doing in Afghanistan.  At 1:24:30, they're talking about the terrain.  He mentions Gardez and Khowst.

In November 2003, I had 18 hours on the ground for mission planning, and launched on the first mission, which was into Khowst.  That area is ROUGH.  Load out, fly at night (these guys) to FOB Catamount - which was later renamed to Camp Blessing, after SGT Jay Blessing - he was the only casualty on our deployment, taken out by an IED.  From Catamount/Blessing, we Toyota-trucked it into Khowst. 

Now, back to Roberts' Ridge.  That second MH-47 that went in hauling a platoon of kickass Rangers was led by CPT Nate Self.  There's a specific book on that part of it - this is it:

0553586807.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Well, our job was to walk from Khowst, 20 miles up that narrow valley, "visiting" each village, and literally trying to make friends with them.  For real.  Gain Intel through friendship.  No American had been up that valley since 1996, and it was a lone CIA dude that did it by himself.  The Ranger Captain in charge of that little walk, was CPT Nate Self.

Small fuckin' world.

Listen to Alan Mack talk about the terrain again, at about 1:32:00, he mentions something that I've mentioned here before -PACE.  Primary, Alternate, Contingency, Emergency.   In there he talks about the area, their ground, valley floors at 8,000 feet...

On the 3rd valley we were sent into, flown by them about 1:30 am TOT, we landed in MH-47s, into 1.5 feet of snow, at 8,000 feet.  My final map recon had me picking a spot around 10,000 feet, and I took a 5-man team plus a Terp up there.  I had to do it twice, because of the Terp.  That's another story all by itself, and I've already told it here, I'm pretty positive.

We were rocketed the second night there - down in the village, not up in the hills, where my team was.  That led to a gunship mission, the the position those rockets were fired from was wiped OUT.  We were on the radios, checking everything, and we spilled the real deal to the Ranger Company Commander.  Over the next several days, we tossed that whole village, and tore down one complete house.  They'd used two of the rotor blades out of the MH-47 that was shot down on Roberts' Ridge, to build their roof, in that structure.  Building demolished, rotor blades recovered. 

Again, small fuckin' world.  When I tell you guys I'm lucky I'm alive, and I'm lucky enough to have met you, now, as we have met...  I mean that.  I love you fuckers...   :thefinger:

I'm super-lucky to have met @DNP - I met him at Thanksgiving 2004, on my first Dune Trip.  My Thanksgiving 2003 was in Afghanistan, doing all this shiit.  Proud that you call me your friend, my brother.  Proud again that we've kept in touch for this long, so long.  :hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

“I’m damn glad you had a chance to meet me.” NJC

We’re all fortunate to have crossed paths and I too consider myself lucky we got to meet. We’re all happy to know you for who you are and what you do, and look forward to being family until the end.  

As for what I’m listening to - I just got done listening to 13 Hours on Audible. I haven’t had a chance to watch the movie, but look forward to it now. If you like books on tape - this one was well read by the author and I wish it had been twice as long. Looking for the next story to fill my car rides. 

On 1/5/2023 at 1:41 AM, 98Z5V said:

Went through this one tonight - very, very good. 

Best aviators on the planet.  I've flown with these guys alot, both training rotations and combat.  Their skills can't be rivaled. 

You go to a planning mission with them, brief YOUR mission, tell them your TOT (Time On Target), and they guarantee that they'll deliver you on your predetermined point at +/- 30 seconds of your TOT. 

Unreal aviators, and the absolute masters of rotary wing flight.   :thumbup:

Had some pretty hairy flights with these guys, both sides of that field, training/combat.  The only combat side with them was Afghani-land.  They can perform the impossible.  Routinely.

Mad Respect.  :hail:

The only extractions I've ever done with them have all been training, thankfully.  They are badass as picking people up.  They plan it, you say what you want, and they DO IT...  Exactly like you state it needs to be done.  The only thing they deviate from is if it might be a hot extraction - you need a lift, and you're under fire.

They'll land exactly where you tell them to land - unless it's hot.  If it's hot, they'll place that bird directly between you, and the threat, and those miniguns will be blazing.  They will protect you, on extraction, and place themselves in harms way to get you out. 

I've briefed extraction points as this - far recognition signal, near recognition signal, to guide them directly on top of you  -and I mean RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU.

I've briefed them far recognition signals, and near recognition signals.  Far recognition is my IR strobe, in the pouch, not out in the open - they pick that right up, and hone in on it.  Near recognition, IR chem light on a 6-foot piece of 550 cord, I'll be swinging it, laying flat on my back, making it an "IR buzz saw" - I want you to land the wire strike system directly on my nuts... 

They fucking do it.  They land the helicopter directly on top of you.

It's a rush...   :banana:

I follow a chopper pilot on Instagram who films movies and what not he’s insanely talented, I’m certain he was military. Those little bird pilots have balls the size of churchbells. 

not military, started in the late 80’s filming Paris to Dakar and other desert races 

I love the fuk out my AFSOC brothers, like you guys can't even understand.  US Air Force Special Operations Command has so many facets.  Gunships, all the cool aircraft...   that's not what I'm talking about. 

The guys on the ground.  Badasses, through and through, all the way.

This interview from Ryan Fugit is worth your time.  It's just awesome.

On 1/11/2023 at 12:55 AM, 98Z5V said:

I love the fuk out my AFSOC brothers, like you guys can't even understand.  US Air Force Special Operations Command has so many facets.  Gunships, all the cool aircraft...   that's not what I'm talking about. 

The guys on the ground.  Badasses, through and through, all the way.

This interview from Ryan Fugit is worth your time.  It's just awesome.

I’ve listened to a few pods with these guys and tac p’s I can’t imagine the stress of being in the shit calling in for air support and you needed that shit like yesterday. But then it finally and you have A front row seat to a very large can of whoop ass on the enemy