• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you guys do to maximize space in your gun safes?

wwlefty

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, wurger said:

Finally gave up and bought a second safe. Too much heart burn trying to fit everything into the first safe.

That's what I'm talking about.  Nobody needs "a bigger safe."  Ever.  When you hit that point, you need "another safe."  What are you gonna do - sell the first one, for pennies on the dollar?  Nope, it still works, you won't get your money back, and it still does it's job.  Time for #2.   Or #3, #4, whatever...   :thumbup:

EDIT - Plus, moving those fuckers just plain sucks... 

Edited by 98Z5V

Moving safes isnt that bad. I work with a locksmith buddy helping him from time to time and he showed me what it takes. It's all about having the CORRECT equipment to do it. Even stairs weren't too bad once you know how to do it. I still hate stairs with a 600 pound safe though!!!!

6 hours ago, suzukiray said:

Moving safes isnt that bad. I work with a locksmith buddy helping him from time to time and he showed me what it takes. It's all about having the CORRECT equipment to do it. Even stairs weren't too bad once you know how to do it. I still hate stairs with a 600 pound safe though!!!!

funny. i was doing some siding on a client's house,  two youths show up with a 800# safe .. i watch the struggle for 15 min before i had to step in and show them what leverage is.  went pretty smooth afterwards. 

1 hour ago, sketch said:

funny. i was doing some siding on a client's house,  two youths show up with a 800# safe .. i watch the struggle for 15 min before i had to step in and show them what leverage is.  went pretty smooth afterwards. 

When I move I am flying you do here !  Lol 😂 

6 hours ago, sketch said:

It's pretty sad how clueless some of today's youth are isn't it??!!!!

4 hours ago, sketch said:

hahahaha,  you better have two youths when i get there !? 😎 Id definitely be there to point out "you're doing it wrong". 

I could grab a couple of ‘adult children ‘from my job , most of them fit in the catagory of worthless or non instruction following youths !  😭

5 minutes ago, MikedaddyH said:

Or get a couple of Amazonians to move it !

you didnt mention Amazonians.. this is maybe interesting,  but im always learning.. would they be ripped women with huge muscle mass and small clothes! That likes a challenge!! 😁👍

8 hours ago, sketch said:

you didnt mention Amazonians.. this is maybe interesting,  but im always learning.. would they be ripped women with huge muscle mass and small clothes! That likes a challenge!! 😁👍

Absolutely NOT ... but I like where you are going , unfortunately they are the brain challenged non motivated youths who work for Amazon.👻

12 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

be nice if you could get Gal Gadot dressed up in the wonder woman costume. wouldn't be no safe moving though.

I would love to get my boss to dress up as Wonder Women and come to work as the Queen of the Amazonians ! I would take a picture of that. She is “hawt”. 😻

On 5/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, suzukiray said:

Truth. I moved my safe in Florida off my truck and into my house by myself. It is all about leverage, good equipment, and the timely administration of brute force. As far as Wonder Woman don’t get me started. 55 years of fantasy material there.

Edited by Sisco

Not a safe, but almost as heavy...had a buddy with a 36” flatscreen. Not the new ones. The old 900lb tube ones. I helped him move out of 2 upstairs apartments and into 2 upstairs apartments. I let him know the next place he moves to comes with a free tv....I’d rather buy one I can carry than help his ass move that one again. 

Edited by DNP

• 8 months later...

Well I haven't updated in a while but I wanted to share a "temporary half measure" I came up with for the AR's to they to save a little space. I took some scrap 3/4" finished plywood and countersunk some 7/8" dowel rods (about 2" long) into the plywood spaced 2" apart. I made three of these and I can stand up the lowers and lay the uppers horizontally on the top shelf or vertically using those plastic barrel rods. I'm not in love with this but again it's a temporary fix for now. 

Been a while since I have been here but I wanted to share one space saving attempt that is basically a half measure but works temporarily. I had some scrap pieces of 3/4" finished plywood and a nice dowel rod collection that I inherited from my father in-law. I used some 7/8" dowel about 2" long and countersunk into the plywood to make a base so I "stand up" my lowers and then either store the uppers horizontally or using the plastic rods uppers can store vertically. 

IMG_20200209_141037425.jpg

15812791721231783558113716697357.jpg

You can see in the above photo how much space is saved on the vertical storage side of just the upper versus the two assembled AR's next to it. Again I'm not in love with this setup but it helps for now. I did find a guy two towns over selling a used knaack jobbox for $135. I figure a crisp Benjamin will buy it, I guess we'll find out Monday. Do you guys using the job boxes have any trouble with drawing moisture? I suppose a dissicant pack would take care of the moisture? It gets pretty humid here in the summer