• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you guys do to maximize space in your gun safes?

wwlefty

Around Christmas time my dad decided he wasn't going to renew his foid card which means for us IL residents its illegal to posess a firearm without one.  He's very old school libertarian minded and thinks its none of the government's business if or how many firearms he has. Anyway he's getting up there in years and when he found out you had to go on a website to renew that was the final straw for him.  I've got a nice large safe at my house and he decided to start sending them over to me a few at a time; "They're going to be yours someday anyway" he says. Needless to say I was excited about this, my father has a lot of cool guns including a really nice collection of Winchester model 12's. Well after a few trips of bringing guns in I'm quickly running low on storage space inside the safe. Basic configuration is half the safe has the gun racks to store the firearms veritically and the other half is shelving where I store ammo and other parts, components, etc.  Specifically what I have noticed is my black guns take up 2-3 spaces in the safe versus just one space for most of the other firearms I've been bringing in. Four different AR's with a pistol grip on one end and an optic on the other and a 308AR with similar configuration take up nearly half the space. Obviously, I could add racking to the other half but I really don't want to go that route yet and I certainly don't want to spring for another safe. I don't want to remove optics from rifles for obvious reasons and it seems like a hassle to remove the pistol grips from each one to gain space. I had the thought of removing the lowers and getting some of those guide rods that go in the barrel to store them but I wasn't sure if the rods would be long enough with the lower removed from the upper to reach the top side rack. Sorry for the long winded post I was just trying to accurately explain my issue. Any advise and help would be most welcome!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Long winded is not an issue. Details matter. Look into a rigid box. AR’s and ammo will go nicely in there and it’s more than secure enough. I know at least one lunatic that has a half dozen of them around the house. I’m not sure he knows what’s in each of them even. 

3 hours ago, DNP said:

Long winded is not an issue. Details matter. Look into a rigid box. AR’s and ammo will go nicely in there and it’s more than secure enough. I know at least one lunatic that has a half dozen of them around the house. I’m not sure he knows what’s in each of them even. 

He doesn’t. Cracks me up every fall when I hear,”that’s where that went”. I have three safes. Small, big, huge. Still need more room

Ar's and those w/ sopes take a lot of room. I got a few more in using the plastic rods and cloth setup. You can only fit so many. I need more room also my $hit is getting scatched up.

9 hours ago, sketch said:

old guns deserve as much respect as new guns.

Get a job box, like mentioned above. If nothing else just put all your ammo in in one or the other. For fire protection, ammo in the safe, if it's fire rated, and weapons in the box. Depending on which you value more of course. The box can be bolted to the floor or wall. Some Army surplus store blankets, or Home Depot moving blankets are great for protecting weapons if you stack them in the box.

Edited by suzukiray

You never, ever need "a bigger safe." You just need "another safe."

+2

I bought a second safe and use it for shotguns and ammo.  I thought 16 years ago when I retired from active duty/settled in here and bought the big 1000 pound fire safe that it would be plenty....then I got into black rifles and quickly found out that it was not!.........Cliff

I can promise you I have lots of respect for the old guns! I was super excited to "inherit them. It's just a matter of physics at this point; "two objects of mass can't occupy the same space at the same time." etc...Thank you all for the replies. I know that I need an additional safe but I'm trying to stretch it at this point. That job box looks like a good idea, storing the black rifles horizontally instead of vertically looks like a good space saving idea. I got some of the barrel rods the other day with the intention on using them on the AR's at this point. I have some ideas, but it's planting season so my free time is limited. I'll try to share what works and what doesn't along the way, that's what a forum is all about anyway. I guess the truth is I'm looking for the $50 band aid right now vs. the $500 cure.

Definitely let us know how the rods go.  I have been looking at making something to go in my safe as a “rack”. I have a similar issue, except for the inheriting a bunch of guns part. I use one side for the rifles and the other for ammo and cases and parts. Most of my rifles are too short to reach the provided holder and they wind up leaning against each other in the back corner or along the back wall. I need to build a box for the back they can sit on that will pick everything up 6”. 

I put all my guns in socks, not the socks you wear either, well ok maybe I do on pistols.lol some guns I store muzzle down and gives a lot more capability of getting more in there. Problem is when you pack a safe like that, it's very hard and a pain to get one out in the back. if the guns are just collectibles then it's not a problem.

SANY0825_zpse3d98960.thumb.jpg.ce1d02198ad4066cb20c054d0a500d26.jpg

1 hour ago, wwlefty said:

I can promise you I have lots of respect for the old guns! I was super excited to "inherit them. It's just a matter of physics at this point; "two objects of mass can't occupy the same space at the same time." etc...Thank you all for the replies. I know that I need an additional safe but I'm trying to stretch it at this point. That job box looks like a good idea, storing the black rifles horizontally instead of vertically looks like a good space saving idea. I got some of the barrel rods the other day with the intention on using them on the AR's at this point. I have some ideas, but it's planting season so my free time is limited. I'll try to share what works and what doesn't along the way, that's what a forum is all about anyway. I guess the truth is I'm looking for the $50 band aid right now vs. the $500 cure.

get you a file locking cab. like this from an office sale.. scratch and dent saved money. houses several ar sized rifles and you can line it with sheetrock if your worried about fire.👍

20190508_204000.jpg

Definitely go with the gang boxes my man. They're simple and easy (kinda like me). You can pile a decent amount of weapons in them. A layer of ammo in the bottom of them (if you want) will make them heavy enough so that they won't get dragged away easily. Also, they're fairly cheap if you go the Home Depot/Lowes route. They're only about $350 compared against the similarly sized boxes made by Knack. And they still transport fairly easily too. Chuck everything outta them, load the box in the back of the truck, reload said box with weapons......and you're ready to bug out to Toms house. :lmao: (winces from horrific flashbacks) Though the drive from MD just takes it outta you.

8 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Definitely go with the gang boxes my man. They're simple and easy (kinda like me). You can pile a decent amount of weapons in them. A layer of ammo in the bottom of them (if you want) will make them heavy enough so that they won't get dragged away easily. Also, they're fairly cheap if you go the Home Depot/Lowes route. They're only about $350 compared against the similarly sized boxes made by Knack. And they still transport fairly easily too. Chuck everything outta them, load the box in the back of the truck, reload said box with weapons......and you're ready to bug out to Toms house. :lmao: (winces from horrific flashbacks) Though the drive from MD just takes it outta you.

Do you bolt them to the bed of your pickup?

47 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Do you bolt them to the bed of your pickup?

Zero need, 10 Arnold-sized bodybuilders aren't lifting that thing out, when it's loaded.  You could chain it down to make yourself feel better, but when you load one of these things up, it is HEAVY...