• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you guys do to maximize space in your gun safes?

wwlefty

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You've got a safe?  I thought you only had free-range guns that ran and played all day.:lmao:

Gotta let 'em eat - but I can't let them all out together.  I'd need to buy 10 Australian Shepherds just to keep shiit in line...  :banana:

Just now, 98Z5V said:

Gotta let 'em eat - but I can't let them all out together.  I'd need to buy 10 Australian Shepherds just to keep shiit in line...  :banana:

Got it!  I went to a big cat sanctuary like that once.  They didn't let them co-mingle.  I think the staff was afraid the animals would plot against them.

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Got it!  I went to a big cat sanctuary like that once.  They didn't let them co-mingle.  I think the staff was afraid the animals would plot against them.

TactiCat is up to 12lbs now - and I don't want to fight him.  I'd fucking RUN if he was 300lbs...   Fuk that.   :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Wouldn't do any good, brother. A 300 pound cat would just eat you wherever you fell. Unless, of course, you got one of those rare ones that would purr all over you, then go kill your next door neighboor and bring him back to share with you. 😂

That's TactiCat.  He's an as$hole, and 12lbs.  He's  handful, enough.  I've always wanted one of these jackasses, though.  Cute when little.  If I could tame it, raise it right, this would be a badass cat.

56991e76dd089507658b4586?width=1100&form

5ac07473aff54.image.jpg?resize=400,343

Cameron-Park-mountain-lion.jpg

Doesn't have anything to do with maximizing space in a gunsafe - but I've always wanted a mountain lion.

17 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You've got a safe?  I thought you only had free-range guns that ran and played all day.:lmao:

The most fun of a fall shoot is watching 98 dig through his closets and under furniture and in the fridge to find things to bring...and watching him find firearms he didn’t even know he owned. Apparently when left to free range, they find ways to breed. 

• 2 weeks later...

My problem with guns in safes is that there's never enough room, so they get banged up. If there's one thing I hate it's seeing a good piece of equipment get banged up for no reason. I'm not going to play that game!

After years of taking extraordinary care putting my guns in and out of the safe I had an idea. I don't know where it came from, but I'm proud of it:

1. Take an old worn out pair of jeans or work pants, cut the zipper out, and split them in half right down the crotch.

2. Turn the legs inside out and rip the seams on the cuffs using a single edge razor blade.

3. Flatten the leg out and sew two lines of stitches across the end to close the leg.

4. Turn the leg right side out and slip it over your longgun before putting it in the safe.

Now you can bump other guns and they won't feel a thing! As a bonus you can write the make and model of the gun on the upper part of the leg so you don't have to pull it out of the safe to see what it is. Legs that are too long will cause a problem, so cut them off even with the butt stock and they won't get in the way. I wear 33X36 Wrangler jeans, and I don't have any rifles so long that they are not fully covered.

Charlie (calls them "Gun Pants" lol)

Gun Pants.jpg

Edited by Charlie

With the price the Japanese and Chinese are paying for old worn out Jeans and Levis it could be better to just buy a dozen or two cheap gun sleeves or cases.  I have made it a point to have cases for all my long guns. I have an old friend that made fringed leather cases for several of us for our muzzleloader.  I think of him every time I open my gun safe. And it was 45 years ago when he made it for me. It has my initials woven in it in leather lacing.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:13 PM, sketch said:

funny. i was doing some siding on a client's house,  two youths show up with a 800# safe .. i watch the struggle for 15 min before i had to step in and show them what leverage is.  went pretty smooth afterwards. 

I have a industrial movers cart that will go vertical or horizontal the key is in the wheels the high quality wheels you can push a 500 lb safe with one hand......

I move them across the floor with an aluminum motorcycle jack (concrete or hard floors only, doesn't work for chit on carpet).

I they need to be lifted to move over a threshold or the room is carpeted I go to my trailer and fetch a big wide HD ratchet strap and 8 soft loop tie down straps for it.  I lace the strap thru one end of the soft loops putting two at each corner of the safe. The ratchet strap is tightened down so that when you bend down slightly and grap the free end of one of the soft loops you raise that corner of the safe about an inch or so when you stand straight up.

Four guys can easily pick up a heavy safe and lift and maneuver it as needed.  Once into the room I use the motorcycle jack provided it's not a carpeted room where we'll continue to use the soft loops moving the safe a few inches at a time till we get it to it's final destination.......

• 10 months later...

I wanted to revisit this thread as I have just purchased an additional gun safe after picking up a couple of Henry rifles and realizing there really is no more room in my current safe. I got this Gettysburg safe at the local rural king. It's not a high end fit and polish safe but it's huge (42" wide by 72" tall) and has a 75min fire rating

IMG_20210114_153600164.jpg

However in my search for storage solutions I came across a lot of things I really liked and I decided that I wanted to implement them in this safe since I'm starting from scratch. One of my first thoughts I kept coming back to was storing AR's horizontally in the job boxes. Seems like the bottom of the gun safe is not easy to access anyway and this new safe has a 36" wide opening so maybe a pull out drawer like on a toolbox would be handy. A 16" barrel AR with collapsible stock measures around 33" so I'm thinking a 12" tall drawer in the bottom might be the ticket. 

IMG_20210115_164509314.jpg

Another issue I have never liked about my first safe is that guns are stored in four rows stacked from front to back and inevitably at some point I would want to get out a firearm in the back row which would require me to move 4, 5, even 6 other guns out of the way to get to it. So during my searching I came across this safe and I love this idea and decided I really wanted to implement it as well in my new safe

Screenshot_20201230-132207.png

Screenshot_20201230-132357.png