• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you guys do to maximize space in your gun safes?

wwlefty

I like the pant leg trick. Also the Rifle drawers which I saw last year on two brands of safes is really slick. But the real solution is a second safe ! Last point I have is a rack for pistols which uses a padded rod that holds the pistol  by the inside of the barrel. It mounts on the back wall.

Edited by MikedaddyH

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Luckily wintertime on the farm provides me with some free time for projects so yesterday I decided to remove the existing shelves and embark on my new storage solutions endeavor and I thought you guys might like to come along for the ride lol. Anyway I put in about an hour and a half yesterday and after getting it up on the forklift (fatboy don't like to bend over lol) I got started on the frame..... I'm using the anchor holes in the base to secure the frame using 3/8" bolts but I might go to 1/2". I would love to hear feedback from you guys if you have any other ideas

IMG_20210115_153319869.jpg

IMG_20210115_163605864.jpg

I'm going to use 2" box tube to make vertical frame risers to attach drawer slides to. I'll then build another frame on top of that to mount a flat sheet of steel to. That should make a sturdy enough base for the vertical drawers to mount to. I'm heading to the shed now, I'll throw up some pics of my progress later today

Man a gun room would be sweet. I changed some plans building this frame and drawer set up so I could weld it up outside the safe and then install it. One more piece of 3/4" angle across the front at the top and the frame is finished. I ordered some drawer slides today that were rated for 250 lbs. I can't wait until this baby is all finished!

IMG_20210116_122254233.jpg

IMG_20210116_122704315.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 11:20 PM, Rsquared said:

I'm liking this. This fuker is for real. :lmao:

Hell yeah, this thing is happening, for better or worse lol! Never underestimate a "fairly" motivated individual with all the necessary tools, an adequate shop space and a 30pk of Busch light lol. I finished the frame today so just waiting on the drawer slides to show up to get exact measurements on the drawer to build it. The plan right now is to use one of the existing shelves that came with the same for a shelf on top of this frame to build the "vertical" shelves on

IMG_20210118_175720230.jpg

On 1/16/2021 at 11:20 PM, Rsquared said:

I'm liking this. This fuker is for real. :lmao:

Hell yeah, this thing is happening, for better or worse lol! Never underestimate a "fairly" motivated individual with all the necessary tools, an adequate shop space and a 30pk of Busch light lol. I finished the frame today so just waiting on the drawer slides to show up to get exact measurements on the drawer to build it. The plan right now is to use one of the existing shelves that came with the same for a shelf on top of this frame to build the "vertical" shelves on

Well I got the bottom frame painted and the drawer slides installed on it. That gave me final dimensions for the drawer so I picked up some 16ga sheet metal this afternoon and cut out some pieces for a rough mock up. I wasn't able to get the front and back cut as I ran out of cutting wheels. I'm trying to talk my buddy into cutting a design or words or something in the front with his water jet table but he doesn't want to "take it out of production" so we'll see if I get something made into the front of the drawer or not

IMG_20210120_093244118.jpg

IMG_20210120_172449073.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated in a little while, got the drawer test fit and tacked up. I think I'm going to put rhino liner on the inside of the drawer but I'm still thinking about a racking system to hold AR's inside the drawer so please feel free to chime in with ideas!

IMG_20210131_145501028.jpg

IMG_20210131_145453057.jpg

IMG_20210131_145440913.jpg

51 minutes ago, wwlefty said:

I haven't updated in a little while, got the drawer test fit and tacked up. I think I'm going to put rhino liner on the inside of the drawer but I'm still thinking about a racking system to hold AR's inside the drawer so please feel free to chime in with ideas!

IMG_20210131_145501028.jpg

IMG_20210131_145453057.jpg

IMG_20210131_145440913.jpg

Nice metal work brother 👍

5 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Nice metal work brother 👍

Thanks, so far everything has turned out like I wanted. I wanted something a little different for the front but I wound up drilling two holes in the front piece and cutting out the material in between to make the "handle" because that's all I could do with my limited tools and ability. Perhaps I can get more intricate designs for the"vertical" drawers but unfortunately metal is very expensive right now so getting any work done by a machine shop is pretty much out of the question so I just have to do make it happen a little more"primatively" lol

IMG_20210127_174914426.jpg

I had a homebuilt Gun safe 4'x3' by 6' tall that a friend and I welded together out of 3/16" flat steel plate and I hauled it to three different homes back in the 197s0s and up to 1985. with two protected padlocks and wooden rifle racks and ammo and pistol shelves, It weighed close to 300# empty. Sold it when we moved to the lake (here) and I bought a 40 inch by 18" one from Acadamy. It was ok for a few years until I joined this site, Of course it got too small and didn't have enough room  in the safe room (tornado proof) so I bought a Ruger one that I put together, now it is too small so I am in the market for another one.  I figured that if I built one like the first one, it would cost more than a ready made one.. I decided rather than get another one I would sell off most of my long guns, because at my age and physical disabilities  just keep one 3006 bolt action my 1100 12 ga. the Win 42, and mini 14 and model 94 Win 3030 and one Franchi 20 ga. long stroke semi auto.  I will sell them to just Texas residents to avoid having to use a FFL dealer. Of course I have two sons and some grandsons that will have preference. Old Dad will probably give them a huge discount.

Sounds like you picked some good guns to hang on to, two 42's and three 94's in my old safe, part of the reason for needing this new one lol. The cost of metal is high right now which makes this project a little hard to justify but in reality I suspect that most guys on here would rather build something the way they want than to save a couple of bucks. I finished up the horizontal drawer and now I'm just playing around with the configuration of the rest of the interior and planning out material and hardware for the sliding vertical racks

IMG_20210202_105558791.jpg

IMG_20210202_105624835.jpg

IMG_20210202_114309515.jpg

• 2 weeks later...