• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

what do you guys do to maximize space in your gun safes?

wwlefty

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, 392heminut said:

I rebuilt my old 77 ElectraGlide in the livingroom one winter. After that, there's no way my wife would let me near the house with a forklift!:lmao:

Oh yeah....I'm certain my wife wouldn't let me past the doorway with anything that resembles a "project" in need of "repairs." I too have burnt that bridge lol

On 3/1/2021 at 8:40 AM, wwlefty said:

I finished up a pistol holder in the left upper corner using a 12 pistol holder from hyskore.

IMG_20210220_151535027.jpg

IMG_20210227_110723762.jpg

Lefty, that pistol rack has me inspired...   I'm gonna pick up one of those 12-holders and rig it up.  That's awesome work, man.  :hail:

On 3/7/2021 at 12:00 AM, shepp said:

I sold all my “assault weapons” under the gun show loophole to afford the affordable healthcare act. 

My friend and I were just talking about selling our 5.56 and 9mm ammo to finance some other projects. If you can get 2.5-4 times the price right now it's not a bad idea....just never know if you'll be able to replace it for regular price down the road. I have heard rumors that dems think the "new" solution to gun control is limiting ammo supply

IMG_20210310_195549209.thumb.jpg.7ca81469118ea2c396e9be7740d2a605.jpg

On 3/7/2021 at 8:46 PM, 98Z5V said:

Lefty, that pistol rack has me inspired...   I'm gonna pick up one of those 12-holders and rig it up.  That's awesome work, man.  :hail:

Forgive the lousy pictures, I still haven't gotten my led rope lights installed. I just wanted to throw up a couple of "behind the scenes photos of the pistol rack. Mainly just to point out that some pistols may extend way beyond the rack and to make sure you accommodate them. I only mention it because I  almost screwed up myself when making the metal rack by not adequately measuring and allowing for enough room for my King Cobra 6" barrel. I ended up making the frame to hold the pistol rack 12" long because of the "overall" length the revolver. If I had gone with my original thought and not double checked the overall length I would have been about an inch and a half short of holding it.  I also ended up making magnetic strips to hold magazines along the left side but I probably made that too small because I didn't actually physically measure certain magazines

IMG_20210310_195838980.jpg

IMG_20210310_195626753.jpg

Edited by wwlefty

14 hours ago, wwlefty said:

My friend and I were just talking about selling our 5.56 and 9mm ammo to finance some other projects. If you can get 2.5-4 times the price right now it's not a bad idea....just never know if you'll be able to replace it for regular price down the road. I have heard rumors that dems think the "new" solution to gun control is limiting ammo supply

Tempting, but I would hate to decide to go shooting ten years from now, scoot my walker to the safe and find I am out of ammo for just about everything I own. I am putting a yearly limit on what I can shoot in each caliber I have until the supply loosens up. 20% of a caliber and thats it. And next year it may go down to 10%.

10 hours ago, Sisco said:

Tempting, but I would hate to decide to go shooting ten years from now, scoot my walker to the safe and find I am out of ammo for just about everything I own. I am putting a yearly limit on what I can shoot in each caliber I have until the supply loosens up. 20% of a caliber and thats it. And next year it may go down to 10%.

20%....so you're saying if you have 1000 rounds on hand you only allow 200 rounds per year then? I like the idea of setting a limit but I would have a hard time keeping track.... I would need a spreadsheet or abacus or something lol

10 minutes ago, wwlefty said:

20%....so you're saying if you have 1000 rounds on hand you only allow 200 rounds per year then? I like the idea of setting a limit but I would have a hard time keeping track.... I would need a spreadsheet or abacus or something lol

I load up magazines with 200 rounds in 5.56 and 308's cases, and that is it. Pull 4 boxes of 45 and 9 mm or 44 or 22. It is gonna be tough to limit myself but got to do it.

On 3/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, Sisco said:

I load up magazines with 200 rounds in 5.56 and 308's cases, and that is it. Pull 4 boxes of 45 and 9 mm or 44 or 22. It is gonna be tough to limit myself but got to do it.

I see, I like the idea of rationing. 

I installed some LED rope lights in the new safe this weekend. I gotta say I didn't know there was much difference between the light color of LED's. I guess the ones I installed in my old safe were clear white vs. these in my new safe which are soft white. I definitely like the clear white better. These soft white ones make the inside of the safe feel like the private dance room of a low budget strip club (from what I've been told, I would never go to some place like that lol). Old safe lighting vs. new

IMG_20190309_132539510.jpg

IMG_20210314_120415433.jpg

I may change the ropes out to the clear white style now that I have the little mounting tabs installed already. They are by far the most difficult part of the install and they aren't very difficult. I do like where I was able to mount the switch for the lights, that part turned out well. I used an inline style of switch on an extension cord and some command strips to mount it

IMG_20210314_120401867.jpg

IMG_20210314_120426708.jpg

IMG_20210314_120415433.jpg

Thanks all, it's been fun. I had so much fun putting this up here on the forum. You guys have inspired me to do this, the ideas from this thread set about many thoughts that I was able to make come to life. And secondly, posting the pics up here definitely inspired me to work quickly and to follow through with the project. There were quite a few days when I couldn't wait to post up pics on here to see the reactions. Unfortunately I'm on hold with the slide out rack system but I promise you I'll get it finished up this summer so stay tuned for more posts later. I totally hope to see this turn into a trend with more members posting up safe "improvements' and gun room pics. Also I'm still thinking about additional magazine storage; specifically AR mags so if anyone has any thoughts or knows a good product please chime in

• 4 months later...