• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

HARDEST AMMO TO FIND IN 2022?

You tell me, ammo seller. Stick around and get involved in the conversations you start. You have 3 posts here and a link to an ammo site in your profile. Almost as if you’re just hoping to direct traffic and that’s you’re only reason for swinging through. You’ve been here since October of 21.  Hang out a bit and share some thoughts - probably wind up getting a few more bites if you have time for that.  Or just lob a hand grenade question every now and then and see where it goes. Welcome to the forum. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is an older topic but since it's been revived, now last month...

NOTE, Yes special orders are SOMETIMES an option but the morons in Kalifornia govt have deemed we have to go through a background check and get it at a FFL so ordering it cost you an extra 5-10% most of the time plus background fee and sometimes an additional receiving fee on top of the percentage depending on the FFL.

I bug the heck out of the ammo clerks asking for what they don't have. I have clerks telling me they NEVER carried certain calibers I've bought in their shops while Trump was in office. I have had clerks tell me they never even hear of or seen some of these calibers.

50 Beowulf
6.5 Grendel
270 Winchester
.30-06 Springfield
.30-30 Winchester
.444 Marlin
.45-70 Govt
.30 Carbine (bought a full ammo can in bandoleers the week before the COVID shutdown. You should have seen the stares as I walked out of the shop with it as the other 80 folks there were trying to buy emergency firearms...)
7.62x25
.32 Auto
.300 Winchester Magnum
7mm 08 Remington
.243 Winchester
.22 WMR
.357 Magnum
.44 Magnum
10mm

There's more, .38 SP shows up from time to time but at $.75 to $1.50 a round when it's in stock I'm not typically biting.
Before Obama, I didn't think I'd have much problem finding .30-06, .30-30, .300 WinMag, .270, .357 Mag, .22WMR.
During Clinton primers got scarce but I was able to scare up 3-5 K large rifle.

I've got reloading equipment and supplies for most of these but as has been mentioned primers and powders are hard to replace right now.

15 minutes ago, StarWolf said:

6.5 Grendel

I found and bought 9 boxes of Hornady Black for $23.99 each.  It was the first Grendel ammo I have seen on the shelf in a couple of years and it was a reasonable price.

450 Bushmaster ammo is still $1.75+ per round.  I'm not buying at that price.

3 hours ago, MikedaddyH said:

No primers around here. Powders are back. $39.99 to $56.99 a pound Also pistol ammo is back . I was at Bass Pro Shops. Good supply of rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo on the shelves.

Similar here, can even get discounts on bulk( 10lbs) powder purchases. Pistol and small rifle primers are harder to find than an honest politician

I was seriously considering taking up reloading as a new hobby.  Even had a local friend willing to show me the basics and work up some rounds for a few different .308s we have if I got the primers, powder and bullets (already had bagfuls of spent cases).  However, the lack of availability of large rifle primers, plus the costs of components - then there was the cost of the equipment if I was going to do it myself - made me give it up before I even started.   Just socked away a few extra 1000s of quality factory loads instead.  Cheaper by far if I place fair value on my time.  My old carcass probably only has a couple, maybe three, more decades of vigor left in it anyway.  This ought to last me - (he says as he scans the online retailers for prices on favored bullets😊)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 4:31 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I found and bought 9 boxes of Hornady Black for $23.99 each.  It was the first Grendel ammo I have seen on the shelf in a couple of years and it was a reasonable price.

6.5 Grendel ammo was still $35+ per box of Hornady Black last time I found a couple boxes. They only had two.
I did pick them up. I owed a friend: I gave him a barrel and upper in the caliber.

50 minutes ago, StarWolf said:

6.5 Grendel ammo was still $35+ per box of Hornady Black last time I found a couple boxes. They only had two.
I did pick them up. I owed a friend: I gave him a barrel and upper in the caliber.

It sounds like he owes you if you gave him an upper and barrel.  There is no more Grendel ammo at the moment.  They have craploads of 6mm ARC ammo.  Match ammo is $25/box and Hunter ammo is $35/box.  They had 15-20 boxes of each this evening when I was there. @98Z5Vwant any more?

Edited by Armed Eye Doc

12 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

They had 15-20 boxes of each this evening when I was there. @98Z5Vwant any more?

Hell yeah, brother.  It's the only caliber I have available right now for any kind of distance.  I'll start making paycheck allotments to you...  :hail: