• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How did you find 308AR.com forum?

imschur

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum. 

You should never start with "I'm a friend of Dirk." :laffs:

Start a build thread or two with specific questions about your rifles.

This is true....

He's being modest though. He's more of a mentor of Dirk, and a good friend too. Rob is extremely involved in the California survey world and gives everything he can and then some to help pull people up the ladder further into the profession. 

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, DNP said:

Rob had a little bit of an impulse buy. Saw him the other night at a Christmas party and he had a whole list of "in the mail". He's shorting us on how much he just bought. There's lots of bits and pieces, but he's going to need some help spending his money. We'll get him into a build thread and see what we can squeeze outta that wallet.  There's a 308 in there, and 6.5 seems to be on the list, but there's at least one more rifle that needs some caliber inspiration....

Well, then, it's gotta be .338 Federal.  16" barrel will do just fine in that fat short-action caliber.  :thumbup:

Hi, 

i found it out of frustration of trying to figure out what the I’m going to do with this lower paper weight. About to throw in in the trash and say screw it. I have been reading all day and am no where except more confused. Hopefully , i will be able to get to the bottom of this. It will result in two new toys for 2nd amendment supporters. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

Hi, 

i found it out of frustration of trying to figure out what the I’m going to do with this lower paper weight. About to throw in in the trash and say screw it. I have been reading all day and am no where except more confused. Hopefully , i will be able to get to the bottom of this. It will result in two new toys for 2nd amendment supporters. 

Thanks

Starting a tech thread about your specific issues will help tremendously.  "Lower paper weight" means you did an 80% lower?  Don't know.  Fire up a tech thread in the (right section, or close to right...) section, and give all the details you can. 

Edited by 98Z5V

Just now, RobPLSCA said:

Dammit... I'm just trying to get my feet on the ground with .308 & 6.5 CM. I don't even know what .338 Federal is! Now I gotta do some more reading... 

Neck UP a standard .308 Win case to .338 diameter, and shoot 225gr SMASHERS...

Here's what it is, man:  :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I built two dozen+ AR15s and I am a Colt AR/ M16/ M4 armorer. But was building a real AR for the first time and buggered up a few things. Google lead to this site and was a HUGE help

First the bolt catch was catching on the carrier instead of the bolt face and I had to manually rack it to get it to feed the first round. Well you seasoned builders will know what I did.... wrong buffer (face palm).

This then showed that the bolt wouldn’t lock back on Magpul mags (worked fine on Knight and Lancer) well not sure if I had the wrong Bolt Catch or if it’s because I NP3+ all internals and the super slick bolt plus bolt catch was “too” much of a good thing. But switching to the Phase 5 extended model bolt catch did the trick.

so since I picked up a few pointers here figured I’d hang around. Plus the bullpup forums are dead to me (at least for now)

• 4 weeks later...

Ha!  Read “300 users and growing” on the first page then looked at the date!    

Googled “AR-10 forums” with the intent of landing right here.    Shoot in other venues, have an M1A and cast & reload for dozen rifle calibers and on lots of gun forums but never on this trail.    Just can’t shake the hankering so looking for a site to peruse before deciding the approach to take.    Buying a ready made probably be smart given available time and lack of experience but don’t want to rule out learning what I would from building one either.    But boy I’d have a ways to go to get spun up.   

Anyway, googled for a starting spot.   Be interesting.    Like the looks of the AERO Precision parts/platform!

47 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

Buying a ready made probably be smart given available time and lack of experience but don’t want to rule out learning what I would from building one either.

Buying one already built can be great if you have a good warranty for it and any issues come up. 308ar can be finicky because everyone builds them different, no set standards unlike ar-15s. but even if you get a finicky one, a little reading or questions on here, can get you up in running in no time. 

building one can be good if you don't have the money to throw into a rifle all at once, or if you just want to save a little money by finding really good deals. Plus you can't beat building a rifle that is exactly what you want from the start. and you will learn more about the rifle from building one than you ever will from owning and using one for 10 years.

Either way you chose, good luck with a great platform. You can't go wrong with AERO and many other companies. 🙂 

1 hour ago, SgtDog0311 said:

Ha!  Read “300 users and growing” on the first page then looked at the date!    

Googled “AR-10 forums” with the intent of landing right here.    Shoot in other venues, have an M1A and cast & reload for dozen rifle calibers and on lots of gun forums but never on this trail.    Just can’t shake the hankering so looking for a site to peruse before deciding the approach to take.

That is a REALLY smart approach to take - that's awesome!  Learn what you can ahead of time, then figure out what you want to do and which way to attack it - that's damn smart.

Welcome aboard.   :thumbup:

On 3/31/2010 at 8:40 PM, imschur said:

Please tell me how you ended up here whether from a link or search engine etc. The more detail you can give the better. This information helps me to perform tasks that will help generate more members.

Thanks!

Well, I blame Full30 and its open borders.

Appreciate the input fellas.     The terms and nomenclature will be my first to learn and maybe poking around for a schematic that shows components, as in what you'd by buying off the shelf with a build (or what you'd be selecting in a store-bought order) would be really helpful.    And dang, sifting the wheat from the chaff with all the  in the paid-for Youtube videos is tuff.         I've learned a boat load about vintage levers, Marlin 1893s, etc, and Marlin Ballards, since I shoot BPCR matches, so at least I have that experience of digging to fall back on.   Finding out what you no longer retain about the ARs in astonishing.   I can still manage my M1A like it was yesterday but I guess I jettisoned the M16 stuff from my head.     47 years is a long time  - and I was prejudice towards the .308 even at 18 yrs old! 

JF89...   I said I Googled and included the key words.    I was on Internet explorer.  Not sure what else I can say.      Search Engine,??wouldn't that be google?