• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Fall Shoot 2022 AAR

98Z5V

4 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We do indeed have some new people in "The Mile Long Club" after this event.

Let's list them all, and what gun/cartridge got them there...  I tried on the Barret .50 and Nick's 300 PRC, and couldn't get it, but I smacked that bastard on my 300 Win Mag.  I know @JBMatt got it with his 300 Win Mag, and something else.  @Magwa got it with his 6.5 x 284.  There are some others, but I'm not sure what they were shooting, and don't want to mess it up. 

@Matt.Cross with the 50

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank everyone that makes this trip.  There's alot of personal sacrifice by every single person that comes out here to shoot with an idiot in the desert, and I appreciate you all more than you can imagine.  There's the sacrifice of vacation time from work, the money it costs to get here, your own recovery time to unfuq all your stuff that's packed and used whilst here in the dirt...   Even @JBMatt, @blue109 and @MikedaddyH have to go through alot, just in those things.   @Cunuckgaucho, @sketch and @Magwa packed and drove through snow at the start (and probably finish) all the way down the country for this.  @Armed Eye Docand Susan put in 2232 miles overall roundtrip to do this.  @shooterrex and his roundtrip...   And I know for those three groups, just the sacrifice of gas money is HUGE right now.  For @Matt.Cross and @Rsquared, there's the cost of plane tickets, AND the cost of shipping those giant-ass guncases!!!!   :lmao:  I notice it all, recognize it, and appreciate it all - just to hang out with an idiot in the desert...

@DNP, with his turn-and-burn overnight trip here - that's a prime example.  However, he and I are coming up on 20 years of weekend runs just like that, just to ride some sand...   :thumbup::hail:

Every year, people ask what they can do, how they can help.  You all do enough, just to get here and stay here and return to your casa, in every way.  I do what I can on the other side.  Gather t-posts, stock up on food throughout the time between shoots, make sure propane tanks are filled, etc - you guys shouldn't have to come out here and worry about food, gear, all that.  I try my best to hold that side of it up - it's only fair, on my part.

Getting @Magwa and @unforgiven down here for first visits was a huge milestone.  I can't believe you guys - meeting you both finally - unreal. 

I'll have a part 2 coming up, Gotta help Rex load up.  He's pulling out this morning...  back in awhile...

Edited by 98Z5V

Part 2.  There is ALOT of prep in this.  @Matt.Cross needs major credit, and so does @JBMatt.  There are always ideas, all year long, on how to set it up and make it work, things to try, things to do...   When @Matt.Cross comes out for the Spring Shoots, we've already been talking about new things to do since the last fall meet - and we try them.  If they work, they get put into the fall stuff.  If they don't work, we try to refine them to get them to work...

@JBMatt...   I shoot with him All. The.  Time.  During this time of the year, it's at least twice a month, or more.  We're always doing things.  Matt is always building things...   :laffs:  That barricade was 100% him, all the way.  Alot of the shooting scenarios are what he comes up with, and we try to make it interesting, or at least valuable (if it's not interesting...  :lmao:).  No kidding, he busts his ass prior to these shoots, on all kinds of things that aren't readily seen...

Kelly, and the cheesecake...  Holy SHIITTT!!!   And the "tacos..."   :hail:  We'll make him a permanent fixture, and not so we just use him for food...  That is one hell of a great person -AND he can cook things that will blow your mind...

I'll think of more - but just know...   You are all very much appreciated, respected, and loved. 

OMG! What a lifetime memory I Just participated in First and Foremost I have to say thank you to Tom and Kim Tom has been trying for 10 years to get me there but life and stuff have always manages to get in the way not this year my Brother.....To Doc and Susan I am humbled and Honored that you invited me to stay with you, a unknown weirdo , Rock smasher  and all around stranger and you allowed me into your home !!! from the bottom of my Heart thank you . Doc you almost (I said almost got me to tears you know why )again thank you .

Now in this day and age of who knows what is normal you have my two Amigos one from fairy city and one from Eh ! You made this Possible for me you took care of me and you have made a life long friend of me what more can I say both of you ROCK! thanks for putting up with me for 44 hours of sitting in a rocket loaded to the gills with fun stuff and great conversation even though i woke up in another Galaxy we Nailed it Roman you are a man among men with your generosity nuff said..... Eric you made me realize I am not a smart person but you are, and you possess a awesome sense of Humor the trip was hilarious...

Ok lets get to it what did I expect ,a lot what did I get ? more than I expected, I must apologize I am not as good as I used to be,but I am as good as I ever was, because of each and every one of you Brothers and sisters my life is enriched beyond belief

I have been in a rut in my life for a few years Life ,health, family, has been a tough few but after these few days of just being..... I feel i have peeked over the edge and can once again see who I am. I feel rejuvenated in spirit and feel like getting after it (life) again....no one person is responsible for this event because it is made up from the sum of the whole without any one of you it could not happen . this thing created in the desert is for the soul it is food for the spirit it does not matter what goals we did or did not accomplish there it is not how many things we did, it is about giving of yourself to another it is the greatest gift we have our love for another human being I am truly blessed thank you ALL.....

"A man is not judged by what he owns and possesses he is judged by what he gives away"   Thank You....... Osda

29430(1).jpeg

^^^   Greatly acknowledged, and great appreciated, my friend.  :hail:

Anytime you feel like getting away - just somewhere, anywhere...  This Casa down here is always open to you, for any amount of time you want, whenever you want.  Duration unlimited.  You are welcome here anytime.  If it's not during a shoot - we'll invent a shoot just for your visit.  We've pulled that off before.

And, another quote from you, one that will live with me daily, as I deal with shiitheads as a routine part of life...

"Sometimes you just gotta CUT A MOTHERFUCKER..."   :lmao:

17 minutes ago, Magwa said:

OMG! What a lifetime memory I Just participated in First and Foremost I have to say thank you to Tom and Kim Tom has been trying for 10 years to get me there but life and stuff have always manages to get in the way not this year my Brother.....To Doc and Susan I am humbled and Honored that you invited me to stay with you, a unknown weirdo , Rock smasher  and all around stranger and you allowed me into your home !!! from the bottom of my Heart thank you . Doc you almost (I said almost got me to tears you know why )again thank you .

Now in this day and age of who knows what is normal you have my two Amigos one from fairy city and one from Eh ! You made this Possible for me you took care of me and you have made a life long friend of me what more can I say both of you ROCK! thanks for putting up with me for 44 hours of sitting in a rocket loaded to the gills with fun stuff and great conversation even though i woke up in another Galaxy we Nailed it Roman you are a man among men with your generosity nuff said..... Eric you made me realize I am not a smart person but you are, and you possess a awesome sense of Humor the trip was hilarious...

Ok lets get to it what did I expect ,a lot what did I get ? more than I expected, I must apologize I am not as good as I used to be,but I am as good as I ever was, because of each and every one of you Brothers and sisters my life is enriched beyond belief

I have been in a rut in my life for a few years Life ,health, family, has been a tough few but after these few days of just being..... I feel i have peeked over the edge and can once again see who I am. I feel rejuvenated in spirit and feel like getting after it (life) again....no one person is responsible for this event because it is made up from the sum of the whole without any one of you it could not happen . this thing created in the desert is for the soul it is food for the spirit it does not matter what goals we did or did not accomplish there it is not how many things we did, it is about giving of yourself to another it is the greatest gift we have our love for another human being I am truly blessed thank you ALL.....

"A man is not judged by what he owns and possesses he is judged by what he gives away"   Thank You....... Osda

29430(1).jpeg

This is KIM, Magwa... You are amazing.. Great chats, and laughs. I can't wait to learn some of your trades.. You are more than welcome to come share some fire water with Tom and I anytime.. Im looking forward to some sweat Teepee.  Peace pipe to you brother!!

This year was quite the milestone of 308AR.com Fall Shoots! It was of course amazing that @unforgiven and @Magwa could be with us at SDTF for the 1st time on this special occasion. Weather was awesome, fireside chats were hilarious, food was magnificent. Had some new locals stop by, slept in new accomodations at the Casa de Pain, and enjoyed the company thoroughly throughout.

Bowling balls were launched into orbit, pumpkins were vaporized, volcanic glass was shaped into purpose driven works of art and utility. I shot the one mile, made it in 3 shots instead of 7, on .50 cal Barrett no less! I spotted hits & misses at a mile, talked like old friends with people I've never known a day in my life, called it a night @  5:30am and less than 40 degrees outside. I toasted friends of the shoot and hugged people who are nearer and dearer to me than family.

It was a beautiful and wonderful trip in every regard and I hope I never forget it as long as I live. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all who showed up and made the Fall Shoot the overwhelming success that it was.

Special thanks to:

@98Z5V- You're the best brother, if I get any more comprehensive than that, we'll run out of bandwidth.

@unforgiven - Thank you for coming out, it's so nice to finally meet that guy that calls to check up on me when the feces impacts the oscillator. You're awesome brother.

@Magwa - Getting to spend time with you and learn from you was an honor. I'm humbled that you shared your talents and knowledge freely and without reserve, and your gifts are unparalleled in every sense of the word.

@Armed Eye Doc - You and Susan are the patron saints of the shoot. Your contributions to the shoot have made it phenomenally successful, far beyond we ever imagined it would be. I'm forever grateful for your generosity, your passion and enthusiasm, and your incredible kindness.

@blue109 - I'm thrilled to count you amongst my brothers, I honestly can't think of a single trait you have that I'd consider a deficit. You are a magnificent person, and I am thrilled to not only know you, but to have the privilege of being your friend. 

@Rsquared -  As with Tom, I'm going to have to be necessarily brief, but I can't overstate what an awesome person you are.

@MikedaddyH - I love you buddy, was so nice to see you again, sorry we didn't get to talk more.

@DNP - It was incredibly nice of you to come out to the shoot despite the inconvenience of doing so... It would've been harder to enjoy the shoot if you had been amongst the missing regular attendees. Hope you heal up quickly!

@sketch  - You have a really special place in the history of the shoot, thanks for all your many contributions, and thanks for spending time with us this year and bringing Mike and Eric.

@canuckgaucho     -  Can't thank you enough for the delicious Coke, it surpassed all expectations and then some. You are a first rate friend and enabler, and I'm extremely pleased to know you.

Finally, thanks to all the locals, who may stop by and join the forums as a result... If you see this, welcome to our home, kick back and enjoy yourself here!

Admission to make...  

I'll be honest, I've talked to Rene on the phone for years now. Many.  He's posted a couple pics of himself, only once in awhile, during the house remodel and all.  Well, in my feeble mind, seeing a full pic of him - I imagined him as something like 5'8" or 5'9"...  :laffs:

This fukkin dude is HUGE!!!   :lmao:  I don't know what kinda 6-footer he is, but he's 6-something, and it's not the lower end, barely 6.  That was the funniest part of the weekend for me, right there.  He's damn near Larry-sized...   :banana:

@392heminut

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Admission to make...  

I'll be honest, I've talked to Rene on the phone for years now. Many.  He's posted a couple pics of himself, only once in awhile, during the house remodel and all.  Well, in my feeble mind, seeing a full pic of him - I imagined him as something like 5'8" or 5'9"...  :laffs:

This fukkin dude is HUGE!!!   :lmao:  I don't know what kinda 6-footer he is, but he's 6-something, and it's not the lower end, barely 6.  That was the funniest part of the weekend for me, right there.  He's damn near Larry-sized...   :banana:

@392heminut

So, you're saying that "You thought he'd be shorter." :lmao:

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

So, you're saying that "You thought he'd be shorter." :lmao:

Exactly!  When I met Larry, I looked up at him - WAY up - and said, "You're alot smaller than I heard..."  

I broke free, and hauled azz!!!   :banana:

So, Rex had a tripod for glass.  Or camera, or binos, or whatever Rex needed.  Sometime in the dark, Rex's bipod was stepped on, and a leg was broken.  This is Rex's tripod now:

thumbnail_IMG_3390.thumb.jpg.77612c0f3b429dbd4fe0e67e985f9d21.jpg

So, the un-named person that stepped on Rex's tripod, in the dark, comes up to Rex and explains it to him...

"I was walking back there, in the dark, and I didn't see your tripod, and I accidentally stepped on it.  I'm going to buy you a new one, I just need to know where you got it..."

Rex says no - no problem.  Don't worry, I was getting a new one anyway...

Un-named person says, "Nope, I'm getting you a new one.  It was my fault.  I was in the drunk..."  :lmao::laffs:

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

So, Rex had a tripod for glass.  Or camera, or binos, or whatever Rex needed.  Sometime in the dark, Rex's bipod was stepped on, and a leg was broken.  This is Rex's tripod now:

thumbnail_IMG_3390.thumb.jpg.77612c0f3b429dbd4fe0e67e985f9d21.jpg

So, the un-named person that stepped on Rex's tripod, in the dark, comes up to Rex and explains it to him...

"I was walking back there, in the dark, and I didn't see your tripod, and I accidentally stepped on it.  I'm going to buy you a new one, I just need to know where you got it..."

Rex says no - no problem.  Don't worry, I was getting a new one anyway...

Un-named person says, "Nope, I'm getting you a new one.  It was my fault.  I was in the drunk..."  :lmao::laffs:

It was only short on one side. In the drunk is real 🎉

2 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I was heartbroken to hear from blue I didn't look like Machete :lmao: I'm a delicate flower 🌼

:lmao::laffs:

You have to stay to the end, next time, brother.  After we packed out on Sunday, we hit Casa De Pain, unloaded everything, cleaned ourselves up, and went out to a place called Raceway.  We came back to the house, and it kept going.  At some point, it was too much for Eric, and he had to lay down - on the floor, with his head on the rung of a bar chair.  I have no idea in the world how this was remotely comfortable, but it worked for him.

Roman couldn't help it, and just HAD to fuq with him...  :banana:

thumbnail_IMG_3388.thumb.jpg.55a907a9befbe72632afbfd8ac43a71e.jpg

To add on to what the others have already said. This was an outstanding fall shoot. These things just keep getting better and better. After being away for the last two years (because of fukin commies) it was great to be back.

The food. The surroundings. The camaraderie. The relaxing mood. The brotherhood.

This crowd is simply unbelievable. In their thoughtfulness, integrity, sharing, caring and downright FUKED sense of humor.

And I'm honored to be part of it.

10 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Had a chance to spend quality time with my Cuz

IMG_20221115_141320769.jpg

WHOA! Look at that ugly thing. And the shirt it's wearing isn't much better. :laffs:

Luckily for him, the smiling cuz turns the picture around. Glad you got some good time with her my man. I know that you were looking forward to it.