• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/5/2022 at 9:17 PM, billymagg said:

So Wilson sent me a KAK full mass BCG's marked "Wilson Combat". I shot that first and it works good,, later I threw the new KAK bolt in the JP Enterprises low mass BCG marked "Wilson Combat", it was clear the JP bolt carrier had a very inefficient bolt/gas ring bore, back with the full mass KAK carrier, no its not nearly as nicely finished on the outside as the JP low mass BCG but.. Sprinco Orange and KAK 5.3 oz Buffer.. I cut the gas way back, hoping to minimize the damage to my once fired brass.. anyway, my rifle is back in business, I offered to buy the used bolt body from Wilson, but they reminded me those are 300 Bolt Carriers?? no you guys can keep it, I was surprised by the slop in the bolt raceway...

so good for Wilson Combat on my rifle repair,, but

but, I asked my FFL to check the fit on the "Matched Bill et upper and lower",, he said well, I don't know, but I'm a little concerned... took a couple of Wilson Combat pivot/take down pin sets, and it was looser than a goose.. I told my FFL to send it back,  its been back at Wilson Combat since 12/13/21, and not a word out of them. yes I did call and Jason told me 10 to 14 business days on returns. Today was business day 18,,, yeah, I was disappointed, but as the days rack up?? 

I called Wilson Combat, and they rushed me nice "matched" Bill et upper and lower to replace old rattler, picked it up Friday from my FFL and he remarked wow, that first set was all rattling, he was impressed... So almost finished with my build... now the heavy 223 Wylde barrel takes an .875 gas block, which I am impatiently waiting for, and once it was all almost together and I was admiring it, I realized my 12.5" handguard is gonna be too short.. so I'm going to have to move some more money, and order a 13.6" handguard.. I did build it with a Magpul MOE + pistol grip! I bought UBR II, I like it,, but its heavy.. so we will see.. I wish it was on the 308AR, and it does come in OD GREEN. Anyway A+ on Wilson Combats response and always making it right!

Edited by billymagg

On 1/18/2022 at 10:34 PM, shooterrex said:

A holster and speed loaders for the Model 27. The houge grip showed up today.

IMG_20220105_001927.jpg

So 4" barrel?? Is that a recent Model 27 with the little "hidey hole" safety?? I was tempted to purchase one at my local gunshop several years ago when they ran a 3 1/2" for old times sake, it was nice,,, I've got a 6" and 5" 357 Magnum in the gold box, and S series 3 1/2" Model 27 from about 1967 that I've shot, a little.. I've got a 38/44 with a 6" barrel that shoots lites out, some guys bored the cylinder to .357 on those, it actually was the for runner of the model 27.

I've got a set of stags on the 3 1/2",, that thing is pure sugar, love it. 3 1/2" was the standard FBI pistol back in the day, when the FBI still fought crime, instead of Donald Trump!!! I really do have a thing for those early diamond magna grips, they work very well, and look the bomb,, those magna's loolk good on your gun... those aren't the Hogue's are they??

On 1/18/2022 at 10:38 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

That's one beautiful pistol! 😍

Yes it is, the pre 27 357 Magnum, and before that the "Registered Magnum" are the most beautiful wheel guns every created, beautiful, and very accurate.  We will be waiting on a range report, nice to see a recent model 27, a tribute to Smith and Wesson's serious place in the handgun business.

4 hours ago, billymagg said:

So 4" barrel?? Is that a recent Model 27 with the little "hidey hole" safety?? I was tempted to purchase one at my local gunshop several years ago when they ran a 3 1/2" for old times sake, it was nice,,, I've got a 6" and 5" 357 Magnum in the gold box, and S series 3 1/2" Model 27 from about 1967 that I've shot, a little.. I've got a 38/44 with a 6" barrel that shoots lites out, some guys bored the cylinder to .357 on those, it actually was the for runner of the model 27.

I've got a set of stags on the 3 1/2",, that thing is pure sugar, love it. 3 1/2" was the standard FBI pistol back in the day, when the FBI still fought crime, instead of Donald Trump!!! I really do have a thing for those early diamond magna grips, they work very well, and look the bomb,, those magna's loolk good on your gun... those aren't the Hogue's are they??

Yep 27-9. Has the Clinton hole.4".

My dad had a 3 1/2" 27 that my brother bought. Ex NY state police gun. No the houges are black rubber but so much more comfortable to shoot.

10 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Yep 27-9. Has the Clinton hole.4".

My dad had a 3 1/2" 27 that my brother bought. Ex NY state police gun. No the houges are black rubber but so much more comfortable to shoot.

All good, so we are going to get a range report?? you know what I mean about the 3 1/2" and 4' barrels then,, just an amazing feel, I like my 4" 29-2 as well,, it loves those 210 grain Winchester Silvertips if you can find them.. I stay away from anything under 158 grains in 357, with the exception of Winchester Silvertips,, I think they are 145gr as I recall in the 357.. Federal 125's and the like, do seem to cause a lot of flame cutting of the top strap and throat erosion,,, on the model 19 and 66 they've caused a few cracked forcing cones.. they are hot, and all that powder is wanting to go somewhere and do something amazing in a hurry.. the 158's are just easier on your gun.. I also avoid a lot of fast double action, as that cylinder is big and very heavy,, it could cause you timing issues down the road.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:34 PM, shooterrex said:

A holster and speed loaders for the Model 27. The houge grip showed up today.

IMG_20220105_001927.jpg

Got out back today. Ran almost a box of 130gr 38spl through it and one cylinder of Golden Saber 357's.

It goes bang every time. It was almost a foot low and 9" right out of the box. @ 20 yds. I fixed that.

5 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Good accuracy?

Grouped them together pretty well. I was just standing up no rest or anything. My old eyes don't see iron sights real well any more. They were all in the middle of the steel plate after I moved the sights. 20 yds is all I was shooting from.

LaRue MST 2 stage trigger due to arrive 2/3; Pelican desert tan, 1720 Protector case due to arrive 2/7; 4 Magpul 20 round magazines due to arrive 2/7; 200 rounds PPU 165g soft points due today (but doesn't look like they've left Midway yet); Daniel Defense butt stock got here yesterday.

I'm declaring February No Purchasing Appreciation month.  At least the range at Cold Mountain is free.

On 2/1/2022 at 6:27 AM, MtnMike said:

LaRue MST 2 stage trigger due to arrive 2/3; Pelican desert tan, 1720 Protector case due to arrive 2/7; 4 Magpul 20 round magazines due to arrive 2/7; 200 rounds PPU 165g soft points due today (but doesn't look like they've left Midway yet); Daniel Defense butt stock got here yesterday.

I'm declaring February No Purchasing Appreciation month.  At least the range at Cold Mountain is free.

Nice pile of stuff you got coming!