• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Howdy from Texas

Red Ryder

New guy with a brand new DPMS.  I'm a long time competitive shooter that had an excess of .308 match brass that would never see the light of day again.  I now have an excuse to load it and shoot it.  Looking forward to learning about feeding and care habits of my new member of the family.  

An old dog that can learn new tricks! 

Welcome from the cross timbers area

2 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Anybody been to that place in Uvalde Tx. for the tanks?

Unforgiven, do you mean a stock tank , an oil tank, or an army tank? I've been to Uvalde several times but from what I remember it is scarce of most kinds of tanks.  The Fort Hood area seems the best place to see Army tanks in my area. Midland Odessa is a good place to see oil tanks....We have a lot of stock tanks around here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to this mess, Red Ryder, BTW how is Little Beaver doing now?

Hey if you are worried about a hole in a varmint being .065" bigger why don't you just use a .223,  I do have an el-cheapo DPMS LR308 Oracle with just a couple of mods. a rubber buttplate a BDC variable scope and a new trigger seem to help it put a .308 hole in a lethal spot of most varmints fairly regular, but it is a bit heavier  to carry around than the old .223 Ruger  mini-14 I ,also with a BDC scope which I prefer for deer size targets and littler. If you want to cause them less violent trauma type wounds, I recommend a  Ruger 10-22 in .22LR if your center-fire is tearing them up too bad.

Where are you doing most of your hunting? I don't get to hunt anything much longer than 300 yards, that is because of brush etc., etc. we have a lot of pecan orchards around here.

Edited by mrmackc

• 1 month later...