• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sayin Hello

SgtDog0311

Guess a guy ought to.  Say hello that is.    Wasn't thinking to get on another gun forum but then again thought the .308 bug was at bay.    

Been shooting old levers and Marlin Ballards at long distance events/matches for a while and enjoyed collecting 100+yr old Marlins for the last decade but every time politics rears its ugly head I get the bug again.   Last Feinstein time it was an AR-15 but I've been giving a little time to my M1A lately and peeking around on the web at the AR-10s.   

So hear I am now looking for a place to lurk and learn before I take the step this time.    Looking forward to the reading and asking occasional guidance.    

John 

Welcome aboard, Dog - glad to have you here.

Ask anything you want - we'll get to it.  Parts-compatibility is the biggest thing to overcome on this platform - but we have the parts and the compatibility figured out.  Ask before you buy, and we'll set you straight on what works together, and what doesn't work.  And, what parts are shiit...   :thumbup:

• 6 months later...

Little follow up:  previously plunked down in the wrong thread:-)

Well I ordered a 308 upper and lower from AERO yesterday so I guess "it begins".    Got phone support sufficient for a newbe to populate my "wish list" to complete the build and hope to slip a lot of that into the "cart" as sales are published.   Now I guess I need to start looking at tools necessary since having never built one before those are not at my bench presently.   Regarding the components in my wish list, I'll still be doing some reading here to try and sift out recommendations.   Seems the 20" barrel I'd like to have limits some choices on the buffer and Magpul stock choices from AERO but like I said I have a lot of reading to do.   With something like 5,000 bullets to cast and loading for next year's BPCR and BPTR shooting season to accomplish this winter & early spring should be an interesting exercise in managing time spent towards each.

3 hours ago, SgtDog0311 said:

Seems the 20" barrel I'd like to have limits some choices on the buffer and Magpul stock choices from AERO but like I said I have a lot of reading to do.  

A rifle length gas system can still use a carbine stock and vice versa, they are two different systems. Keep reading here and it will become clear for you. When it comes to the carbine extension and buffer I highly recommend the Armalite kit, uses the AR15 H3 buffer, we never hear of issues with this system.

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar10rekit01-6-position-receiver-extension-kit/

Thanks jt...  appreciate the link. 

Got time to change things before Black Friday so that's the intent on any info I dig up.   I look at the two systems as being complementary, one in front regulating the bolt cycling and one in back at the receiving end so to speak.   Now, that's recognizing all I've done is shot one, not work on one.

That said I understood the buffer's primary purpose, other than attaching the stock was to adjust recoil and I suppose it could impact cycling too - hadn't given that any thought...    In working with the guy on the phone he just said I only had the choice here https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-ar308/spare-parts/buffer-kits  of the M5 'rifle' buffer as the length of barrel I wanted put the carbine choices out of the picture.   Appears to be a misdirect then!  And if its not the case, and the carbine is selected, are their recoil or timing issues to consider.    I like some of the carbine stocks better, so input on trade-offs between the two would be appreciated.  

8 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

That said I understood the buffer's primary purpose, other than attaching the stock was to adjust recoil and I suppose it could impact cycling too

Recoil is a secondary effect of changing the buffer weight, main purpose is to delay the opening of the bolt, heavier weight equals more delay. 

10 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

In working with the guy on the phone he just said I only had the choice here https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/m5-ar308/spare-parts/buffer-kits  of the M5 'rifle' buffer as the length of barrel I wanted put the carbine choices out of the picture.   Appears to be a misdirect then!

I have used an Aero kit like that, had an out of spec depth so quarters had to be added to prevent the carrier from striking the receiver, not a kit I would recommend, unless I sold them. The buffer in that kit is on the light side, many rifles will function with them but the H3 is a way better choice. You can use either a rifle extension or a carbine extension, search around here and you will see all sorts of combinations. Disappointing the Aero rep would put out bad info like that.

14 minutes ago, SgtDog0311 said:

And if its not the case, and the carbine is selected, are their recoil or timing issues to consider.    I like some of the carbine stocks better, so input on trade-offs between the two would be appreciated.  

It's not the case. As long as you have the correct spring and buffer for the extension you select it will run fine, no real trade off beyond losing the adjustment ability with a rifle length extension. I know of no hard data but it is often presumed the rifle extension stocks are tougher. I have some of each, depends on the purpose of the build.

I highly recommend you spend a bunch of time reading here before buying parts, lots of ideas and lots of myths busted. 

Thank you again tj.    I'll sure do so.   My search attempts are clumsy but I persevere.   

I reckon a search on every item in that "wish list" is gonna either improve my skills or wear me smooth out.   You'd think I would be more proficient after my vintage levers and Ballards.

Then there's this... say you go do a search on buffers - you come up with links like "the five best buffers out there".   Ok, but that doesn't speak to the platform you finally settled on or the specifics, like the barrel/gas length.   And then there is the compatibility to understand.  

What it boils down to is being a babe in the woods all over again!!   Once you've been there before it just isn't as much fun as the first time around.   Especially when your time is getting shorter.   

Better stop there before we slips into whining.

Btw Sirs... Thank you for the kind welcomes above.   Never responded to those.   And for those thanks regarding 'service'.   You are Welcome of course.   It was my honor and I'm one of many who got better than I gave.   God Bless our combat vets for whom the tradeoff got more expensive.   My older brothers (RIP) and a good many fellow platoon Sgt when I was at Pendleton were among those but being younger than most I was at that cusp of Vietnam - so didn't join them in that regard.

Ha ha... I did know that drill, by virtue of three older brothers.    And it dang sure was a blank check you endorsed.   If you didn’t know it on the bus you sure knew it later that night as the DIs so pleasantly guided you to the yellow footprints.    Still chuckle over those memories even if I wasn’t exactly giggling then.    Funny how things can remain so fresh in a 65 yr old brain when others fade so fast:-)

If you have parts-questions, just ask up.  We can clear up anything that comes up, pretty quick.  There are no bad or dumb questions.  There are a$sholes out there, but that doesn't have anything to do with the information, just their presentation...  :thumbup: