• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Pistol Brace Update, from 7 Jun 21

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/12/2021 at 10:10 PM, 98Z5V said:

Based on all this drama, I think I'll build another pistol.  This one will be a 12.5" Kino.

IMG_0201001_001_.JPG

On 7/12/2021 at 10:13 PM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Good counter measure 

Told ya I was gonna build a Kino.  Upper is done, brace purchased, receipts saved and scanned into the hard drive. 

@blue109, it's a dirty little fucker.  :thumbup::laffs:

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.527397560a1daa3f22ec2a5c3d32d7a8.JPG

Speaking of short barrels... Today I took my bipod off of my 18” fluted barreled gun, to see how I would do shooting at 100 yards standing with no rest. Pretty darn hard to hold steady.  I didn’t have a sling with me. I hit a 14” square target 6 out of 10 times.  I think the extra weight of the bipod would have helped more than hurt.

Does anybody here shoot better with a heavier or longer front end?  Barely related to pistols, but reading this thread jogged this thought in my Short term memory

4 minutes ago, DustBuster said:

Speaking of short barrels... Today I took my bipod off of my 18” fluted barreled gun, to see how I would do shooting at 100 yards standing with no rest. Pretty darn hard to hold steady.  I didn’t have a sling with me. I hit a 14” square target 6 out of 10 times.  I think the extra weight of the bipod would have helped more than hurt.

Does anybody here shoot better with a heavier or longer front end?  Barely related to pistols, but reading this thread jogged this thought in my Short term memory

Start a new thread on this.  It completely has Nothing to do with any Pistol Brace Update (thread title, you know) that's going on with BATFE.  At all. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

So, THIS heated up on Friday the 13th - and we're not talking about it.

Bottom line in all this bullshiit comes back to 26" OAL.  If it's 26" OAL, it "can't be concealed," according to LAWS ON THE BOOKS...   so this is all moot.

Here's some comments on this Hot Mess.

Ian, at Forgotton Weapons is a Ninja.

Mike Glover makes good points, and isn't happy:

There's more that will come of this, and the bottom line is - West Virginia Vs. EPA, The Bruen case in NY, the recent 5th Circuit Court ruling on Bump Stocks...   This will get DESTROYED in court.

But will it happen within the magical 120-day timeline that BATFE has established?...   :popcorn:

Prepare to be Felons, men.  It's a trap, man-made trap, by this current administration.  That's the bottom line.

My gun safe didn't give a shizt about their regs before they invented this new bs and offered me 120days amnesty, it will continue not giving a shizt after that 120 days. Write whatever you want. Pass whatever you want. 

No paperwork. Not today. Not tomorrow. Gfy. 

Edited by blue109

On 1/17/2023 at 2:57 AM, blue109 said:

My gun safe didn't give a shizt about their regs before they invented this new bs and offered me 120days amnesty, it will continue not giving a shizt after that 120 days. Write whatever you want. Pass whatever you want. 

No paperwork. Not today. Not tomorrow. Gfy. 

This. Don't care what they want to regulate anymore. They can take a long walk down a short pier.

I have a vested interest in how this turns out, specifically right now.  It's not legal, directly after West Virginia Vs. EPA, Bruen, 5th Circuit Court  against bump stocks.  But they felt they had enough balls to do it anyway, and went with it.  Rolled that dice.

BATFE needs wrecked by the court decision that WILL come against them.  And it needs to happen fast.  They need put in their place once and for all, and that's already been done by legal precedent - Jurisprudence - from these prior decided cases. 

Once this one happens, I think the FRT triggers is gonna get wrecked, too.  You're an agency that enforces passed laws.  You don't get to "invent" laws.  We have recent Supreme Court cases that define that, directly.  You don't get to "change definitions" and "rewrite laws" and "modify definitions" on your own  - that's for Congress, and Congress only.  Period, full stop.  No other argument matters. 

Get ready to eat a big dick, BATFE, over this one.   You didn't step on your dick with golf cleats here - you JUMPED on it. 

Embrace the Suck, when you get shut out over this idiotic direction that you've taken. 

Oh, Biden - you can suck it, too.  :thefinger:  Trump had to eat that dick, recently, on what he did for bump stocks - your turn, bro...  :box1:

You though Corn Pop was a Bad Dude.  The Supremes are gonna hand you your ass on this one...  Based on precedent...  RECENT precedent...  

Edited by 98Z5V

Stopped in at Rural King today.

While in the gun section I saw that they had 9mm ar pistols.

Ask if they knew the ATF just declared them SBR's since they had braces.

I was told because they were 9mm they weren't AR's and the SBR thing didn't apply.

Here is a corporation that doesn't understand the new rules and will probably loose their FFL over this $hit.

8 hours ago, shooterrex said:

Stopped in at Rural King today.

While in the gun section I saw that they had 9mm ar pistols.

Ask if they knew the ATF just declared them SBR's since they had braces.

I was told because they were 9mm they weren't AR's and the SBR thing didn't apply.

Here is a corporation that doesn't understand the new rules and will probably loose their FFL over this $hit.

I know you don't have the answer, and it's really rhetorical, How can they be so stupid? Maybe they just listened to bubba and spent no time on the rule? Heck, the barf (intentionally misspelled) even gave pictures to illustrate. I know there were 9mm ARs in the pix.

98Z'- I'd like to see the barf people involved in this all receive charges, but I know that'll never happen. It continues to happen because there are never any consequences. So they continue to pile onto the swill trough and use our $ against us. Evil SOBs!

13 hours ago, BrianK said:

98Z'- I'd like to see the barf people involved in this all receive charges, but I know that'll never happen. It continues to happen because there are never any consequences.

Rep Matt Gaetz is making a run at it  -introduced this today:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gaetz-introduces-abolish-atf-act-ruling-against-stabilizing-braces

Published January 18, 2023 12:53pm EST

Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces

Gaetz says ATF on 'snipe hunt' to 'convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons'

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., introduced a bill to eliminate the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) following a controversial ruling that tightens regulations on pistol-stabilizing braces.

The ATF issued its final rule Friday that will treat guns with stabilizing accessories like short-barreled rifles, which require a federal license to own under the National Firearms Act. 

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the ruling enhances public safety, but Gaetz said it unfairly punishes disabled gun owners and veterans who rely on stabilizing braces to be able to fire with one hand.

placeholderGaetz introduced H.R.374, the "Abolish the ATF Act," on Tuesday morning in response to the ruling, telling Fox News Digital it was the "final straw."

"I have a lot of disabled veterans in my district who enjoy pistol shooting and rely on stabilizing braces to be able to engage in the activity," he said in a phone interview Wednesday morning. "The recent actions from the ATF essentially allow them to make case-by-case determinations on whether a pistol with a stabilizing brace is legal or an unlawful, sawed-off shotgun."

"The continued existence of the ATF is increasingly unwarranted based on the actions they're taking to convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons," he said. "My bill would abolish the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to try defunding the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to target the individual bureaucrats at the top of the ATF who have exceeded their authority in rulemaking. And if that doesn't work, we're going to take a meat cleaver to the statutes that the ATF believes broadly authorize their actions."

According to the ATF, the new rule does not affect stabilizing braces that are "objectively designed and intended as a ‘stabilizing brace’ for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. However, if the firearm with the ‘stabilizing brace’ is a short-barreled rifle, it needs to be registered within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."

However, Gaetz said, "the people at the ATF making these rules fundamentally don't understand firearms."

"I think they are under the flawed conception that a stabilizing brace increases the lethality or danger of a pistol," he said. "It seems the ATF is on a snipe hunt for regulatory action that virtue signals to the anti-gun left, but that has no real practical safety impact on Americans."

Gaetz’s bill, which has been referred to the Judiciary Committee, does not have any cosponsors yet, but he said there’s "broad support" among Republicans "to go after the actions of ATF."

"I believe that you are likely to see ATF bureaucrats hauled before the Judiciary Committee to explain themselves in the coming weeks and months," said Gaetz, who also sits on the committee. "Because we’re hearing this very loudly from our constituents, and the reason I filed this bill is, frankly, I think that the ATF should have to justify their existence at all."

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Rep Matt Gaetz is making a run at it  -introduced this today:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gaetz-introduces-abolish-atf-act-ruling-against-stabilizing-braces

Published January 18, 2023 12:53pm EST

Gaetz introduces 'Abolish the ATF Act' after ruling against stabilizing braces

Gaetz says ATF on 'snipe hunt' to 'convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons'

FIRST ON FOX: Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., introduced a bill to eliminate the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) following a controversial ruling that tightens regulations on pistol-stabilizing braces.

The ATF issued its final rule Friday that will treat guns with stabilizing accessories like short-barreled rifles, which require a federal license to own under the National Firearms Act. 

Attorney General Merrick Garland said the ruling enhances public safety, but Gaetz said it unfairly punishes disabled gun owners and veterans who rely on stabilizing braces to be able to fire with one hand.

placeholderGaetz introduced H.R.374, the "Abolish the ATF Act," on Tuesday morning in response to the ruling, telling Fox News Digital it was the "final straw."

"I have a lot of disabled veterans in my district who enjoy pistol shooting and rely on stabilizing braces to be able to engage in the activity," he said in a phone interview Wednesday morning. "The recent actions from the ATF essentially allow them to make case-by-case determinations on whether a pistol with a stabilizing brace is legal or an unlawful, sawed-off shotgun."

"The continued existence of the ATF is increasingly unwarranted based on the actions they're taking to convert otherwise law-abiding people into felons," he said. "My bill would abolish the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to try defunding the ATF. If that doesn't work, we're going to target the individual bureaucrats at the top of the ATF who have exceeded their authority in rulemaking. And if that doesn't work, we're going to take a meat cleaver to the statutes that the ATF believes broadly authorize their actions."

According to the ATF, the new rule does not affect stabilizing braces that are "objectively designed and intended as a ‘stabilizing brace’ for use by individuals with disabilities, and not for shouldering the weapon as a rifle. Such stabilizing braces are designed to conform to the arm and not as a buttstock. However, if the firearm with the ‘stabilizing brace’ is a short-barreled rifle, it needs to be registered within 120-days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."

However, Gaetz said, "the people at the ATF making these rules fundamentally don't understand firearms."

"I think they are under the flawed conception that a stabilizing brace increases the lethality or danger of a pistol," he said. "It seems the ATF is on a snipe hunt for regulatory action that virtue signals to the anti-gun left, but that has no real practical safety impact on Americans."

Gaetz’s bill, which has been referred to the Judiciary Committee, does not have any cosponsors yet, but he said there’s "broad support" among Republicans "to go after the actions of ATF."

"I believe that you are likely to see ATF bureaucrats hauled before the Judiciary Committee to explain themselves in the coming weeks and months," said Gaetz, who also sits on the committee. "Because we’re hearing this very loudly from our constituents, and the reason I filed this bill is, frankly, I think that the ATF should have to justify their existence at all."

Hell yes! I’m glad someone finally introduced a bill like this. If this one comes to pass I hope I starts the snowball effect towards abolishing the whole gawddamn nfa

Someone needs to do something.  Last year, when all this came up, there were 140 of them slamming BATFE for what they even proposed in the first place.

Someone in that House needs to take up some responsibility, and tell these agencies that "they're just agencies" that enforce existing laws - they don't get to make, modify, or change existing laws.  Only places that have been doing that lately are the Supremes, and 5th Circuit. 

So one of the options is remove the brace but it looks like they want it so it can't be reinstalled? So if I mill the catch portion of the buffer tube off and weld the castle nut to the end plate I should fit the new rule......... not sure how this will work on my earlier Sig pistols that fit a round tube..... Maybe if I welded a wide plate on the end of the buffer so the brace can't be slid on............ the lack of direction on this is laughable.

I'm trying hard to care about this but I'm just not feeling it

I hope Gaetz's bill gains traction, but mentally slow joe will never sign it. Maybe just not giving ATF any $ in budget would do it? But I admit that I know nothing about the budget process. 

FWIW, I am trying to e-file for my arm braces to SBR them  and it's a very bloody abortion of a process. I have no idea how BARF could have made it more difficult, but with very little effort they could have made it exceedingly easy. But clearly that wasn't the point of e-file or it would have been easier to accomplish. fjb and f BARF.

2 hours ago, BrianK said:

I hope Gaetz's bill gains traction, but mentally slow joe will never sign it. Maybe just not giving ATF any $ in budget would do it? But I admit that I know nothing about the budget process. 

FWIW, I am trying to e-file for my arm braces to SBR them  and it's a very bloody abortion of a process. I have no idea how BARF could have made it more difficult, but with very little effort they could have made it exceedingly easy. But clearly that wasn't the point of e-file or it would have been easier to accomplish. fjb and f BARF.