• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Got some alternative quiet ammo on the way for the Excalibur 

Screenshot_20220531-184216.jpg

Screenshot_20220531-184154.jpg

Which Excalibur do you have?  87 y.o father-in-law has a crank-cock Ravin with a scope that is a friggin' tack driver.  Think the old-fart got 3-5 with it last year.  You get almost an extra month of deer season with a bow in South Carolina.  Had to retire my old Browning Explorer II compound a few seasons ago. Beautiful bow, but it had become unsafe and could not get replacement parts. Still would have to harvest a lot of meat to justify the expense of a good cross bow ... but life is short and toys bring joy!

On 6/1/2022 at 7:30 AM, MtnMike said:

Which Excalibur do you have?  87 y.o father-in-law has a crank-cock Ravin with a scope that is a friggin' tack driver.  Think the old-fart got 3-5 with it last year.  You get almost an extra month of deer season with a bow in South Carolina.  Had to retire my old Browning Explorer II compound a few seasons ago. Beautiful bow, but it had become unsafe and could not get replacement parts. Still would have to harvest a lot of meat to justify the expense of a good cross bow ... but life is short and toys bring joy!

Mine is the Equinox. Extremely accurate!

20220601_212144.jpg

20220601_212226.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

11 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

So I got a SIG P320 X-5 Legion in bound as a :thefinger::thefinger:to the latest Canadian government threat to gun owners.

IBEW is looking for a good hand like yourself brother you have skills. Come on down. Maybe there will be a regime change, maybe the next one will be worse.

On 6/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

20220601_212144.jpg

20220601_212226.jpg

of course now that I start looking, I see (on paper) there are pretty competent hunting crossbows out there in the $400 range - with the price of red meat today - I think I can justify that - 2 deer would pretty much be a break even. And if I can catch one inside the dog fence so he is unlikely to run out into the HOA, might could get one on the down low without even traveling to my hunting digs  .....

Edited by MtnMike

On 6/2/2022 at 3:28 PM, MtnMike said:

of course now that I start looking, I see (on paper) there are pretty competent hunting crossbows out there in the $400 range - with the price of red meat today - I think I can justify that - 2 deer would pretty much be a break even. And if I can catch one inside the dog fence so he is unlikely to run out into the HOA, might could get one on the down low without even traveling to my hunting digs  .....

Get one & try it! You can always upgrade to a better model down the road if desired.

13 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

You gotta do it! 🤣 just may take 3 or 4 deer to brake even 😂🤣😄😅

Starting the "soft sale" on the better half. Helps (the sale - not the bank account) that we're in the process of dropping $8K for a fence for "her" dogs - if the fence guy ever follows through on the installation.  Probably be an after the 4th Holiday purchase.  One of those things where you go in to look at one thing - Wicked Ridge Invader 400 ($600) - and go "this is pretty nice", then you pick up something else - Ravin r10 ($1300)  -and go "but this thing is for me - this is the poop".  Anyway, time to go fleece a couple of extra sheep over the next few weeks!

On 6/1/2022 at 11:07 AM, Lonewolf McQuade said:

20220601_212144.jpg

20220601_212226.jpg

I think the accuracy is a characteristic for Excalibur. I have the Exomag and have had it for decades. When I demoed it for a vertical bow user and  he nearly soiled his undies due to how good I was with it immediately. Need to be careful and pick a different spot on the target so as not to split a shaft. 

I ordered a mess of strings and have yet to replace the first after many hundreds of shots. I've heard of some xbows that need a new string after much fewer shots. 

I bought mine to take advantage of the (at the time) proposed xbow season. Then Maine put us in with firearms and not bow season, so I gave up the idea of using it and stayed with a firearm. Now decades later I can't hunt at all. 

MtnMike, one thing to be aware of with a crossbow is that the shaft may come out the far side of a deer and still have dangerous velocity. You mentioned a HOA and to me that means people being around. YIKES! Just something to consider.

Edited by BrianK
made it easier to understand

On 6/3/2022 at 3:53 PM, BrianK said:

Need to be careful and pick a different spot on the target so as not to split a shaft

🤣 Yeah, I learned that the hard way about 15 years or so back when i got mine. I too bought several extra of the Dyna Flight Speed Strings but haven't needed to replace yet. The recurve design is nice because it's only a few second job to change or adjust string. No press etc. needed like with the compound type. Only sacrifice is a little less compact.

Soon after getting the Exomag and while waiting for Maine to open up xbow season I joined an archery club to make use of their wooded field course. It was super easy. The velocity of the xbow meant minimal trajectory compensation. I don't remember anything that wouldn't have been a kill shot. It was super simple to make the shots. Ranges were typical vertical bow range. Some folks think they have firing distance like a firearm and they don't. One shot, that's it within typical bow range, so make it good. They are slow to load and ungainly in the forest. When one lets the limbs go forward there had better not be something in the way or you have a broken collar bone. 

14 hours ago, BrianK said:

I think the accuracy is a characteristic for Excalibur. I have the Exomag and have had it for decades. When I demoed it for a vertical bow user and  he nearly soiled his undies due to how good I was with it immediately. Need to be careful and pick a different spot on the target so as not to split a shaft. 

I ordered a mess of strings and have yet to replace the first after many hundreds of shots. I've heard of some xbows that need a new string after much fewer shots. 

I bought mine to take advantage of the (at the time) proposed xbow season. Then Maine put us in with firearms and not bow season, so I gave up the idea of using it and stayed with a firearm. Now decades later I can't hunt at all. 

MtnMike, one thing to be aware of with a crossbow is that the shaft may come out the far side of a deer and still have dangerous velocity. You mentioned a HOA and to me that means people being around. YIKES! Just something to consider.

@BrianKNot really planning on shooting in the backyard - although deer are common and frankly a nuisance eating both vegetables and the wife's flowers and plants.  More of a whimsical thought.  Can't imagine one actually dropping where it was shot, and we have been overrun with PETA immigrants fleeing California - probably call the cops and the local news on me in horror😬.  That's why I go to SC and VA to hunt.  I do however appreciate your concern!

Toys for upcoming kayak fishing trip on Staunton river in VA, near Altavista (my old home town). Underspin Pflueger President Reel, Okuma Rod and a 2 kayak carrier - so the better half can join us if she wants.  Hoping for the local trifecta: (striped bass, small mouth bass and a walleye). But mainly looking forward to spending time with old friends. Hate to say it but I think the only thing in that pic made in the US are the Bison straps.IMG_3536.thumb.jpg.8ecdf27149f7ff1854ff144b5bf9d59c.jpg

We make very little in this country anymore. What a shame. We finance our enemies military build up to defeat us.

PETA types... Yeah, they'd rather but the meat grown in plastic rather than get the stuff harvested by themselves. Of course I jest, but that was in an irate letter to the editor many years ago by a moron. Of course a deer will run off as it bleeds out. With what I think could be coming you just might skewer one in your backyard.

11 hours ago, MtnMike said:

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/d-50-lr-sr-gen-m3-pmag-50-rds-7-62x51-308-black-sku100035732-125121-232442.aspx

Never hurts to be a bit more prepared for the EndoTimes Kerfluffle.  And, it's on sale!

Screenshot 2022-06-07 at 06-20-37 D-50 LR_SR GEN M3 PMAG 50 RDS 7.62X51_308 BLACK MAGPUL D-50 LR_SR GEN 3 M3 PMAG Brownells.png

Just the thought of that mag makes the clowns in Annapolis that run my state very, very sad. :laffs: