• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not Volquartsen IMO, it's the retailer making stuff up as they go along. It's not the first time they've emailed me one thing and the reality of what they were told was something other. I got the distinct impression the first time it happened that it was due to English not being their first language and being put into a position the person was ill suited for.

9 hours ago, BrianK said:

It's not Volquartsen

I remember when he started focusing on 22's, my brother-in-Law got one of his 10/22 builds in the early 90's, back when it was a walk in shop. Kind of a drag now since they got big they stopped doing retail in Carrol, I get it but disappointing they left us locals hanging, won't even help you with a part for their rifles if you go there, at least they wouldn't ten years ago.

30 minutes ago, BrianK said:

maybe the fault is Volquartsens

I wouldn't say it's their fault, they really don't have a customer service department so to speak, he closed the shop because he wanted to work on guns not talk to people all day if I get it right, not sure how they work that with their rifle warranty?. Always hoped they would see the light and open a little retail shop for parts and such but then what do I know, he's the one that got rich and famous without letting that run him, gotta have respect for a man that builds something like that from a basement business.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 9:46 AM, unforgiven said:

Great deal brother who was that through?

Amazon.  They keep playing games to spur sales I think.  I bought V700 case & told a buddy, but when he looked, they didn't offer that price to him. I checked back later that day it was back normal price. 

2 days later, same thing on the V770 cases. Little box below said "price hidden, add to cart to see". They aren't allowed to advertise price when below certain amount. I ordered 2 this time, checked back an hour later & $99 price gone again.  

I'm afraid to check site  again, can't afford any more "deals" right now 🤣

13 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Couple more mags for the Ruger Ranch. These work a lot better than the factory Ruger mags. 

Screenshot_20221211-170139.jpg

Is your gun the American - Ruger American?  I have the 300BLK 16" barrel, and love that gun - but want to change over that damn rotary mag to a box mag.  Bad.

Edited by 98Z5V

On 12/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, 98Z5V said:

Is your gun the American - Ruger American?  I have the 300BLK 16" barrel, and love that gun - but want to change over that damn rotary mag to a box mag.  Bad.

Yes, Ruger American Ranch 16" barrel also.  Thankfully,  mine didn't come set up for rotary mags, Mini 30 box mags instead. There's a way to  convert mine to use AK mags but didn't want the big azz banana clips. They're such a compact accurate rifle, want it to stay that way. 

I wish Magpul would get their stock made for my particular model, be a more solid setup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2022 at 12:39 AM, shooterrex said:

I don't think I have the patience to cut those out like that. I bought the pluck a cube type.

Santa did drop off a Rossi Model 92 in 45 Colt since I been good.

IMG_20221226_003528.jpg

That Rossi is gonna be fun!

I'm a very impatient person, aint too bad lol. Took about an hour each case to do once I figured out where I wanted what. 

I had a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel on order for my Ruger Charger Takedown 10/22 SBR . The short story is I cancelled the order.

Now the longer story.

I put it on order May 16 so it's been on order for over 7 months. I'm not privy to the inner workings of Vol' but they appeared to get a shipment in months ago, but none of them ever shipped or were found on the Vol' site. I'm guessing they weren't up to snuff. Then I was a given a 1/17/23 ship by date. I have the patience of Job, but my patience wore
thin and here's why. I got to checking sites for barrels for my Ruger .22 Charger Takedown SBR and came across barrel reviews. It turned out that the Vol' barrel is a good one, but not as accurate as the Tac'Sol'. Or that's what I found. I was going to get a barrel, but whose? The design goal of my SBR was to make as small a .22 as I possibly could, hence the Takedown. I intend to sew a "tool roll" case and have the parts in it. Why? Just because it's America and I can. I was going to live with the Vol' barrel and it's attached sight mount even though it would no longer meet the design goal. Then I got to thinkin' about that and the Tac'Sol' barrel. It's 9" and pretty much the same weight, and no attached mount. It would actually be better (shorter) than the 10" OEM barrel while still being more accurate. There was no shortage of them in stock wherever I went. So the Vol' barrel was cancelled and the TacSol ordered after noon today. It was shipped before 3 so I could have it in my hot little hands maybe this week. Now I look for a bit of warmish weather so that I can sight it in. After I initially built the SBR I got to thinkin' what was I going to use it for? Maybe that was bass ackwards but that's exactly what happened. I shoot Steel Challenge and it has the right amount of muzzle mass (none) for that game. Since the TacSol is a bit shorter it should have microscopically less mass out at the muzzle. I saw everything as a win, win. Oh, and it was less money, yet another win.

So I have a 9" TacSol barrel on order and it's on it's way to me.

I have a complete TacSol 10-22 gun, 16" barrel, OD Green, on their own action, and I support your decision.  I love 10-22s, but I've never, ever been a Volq guy for them.  I'll do some Kidd parts.  Furthest I ventured off the reservation has been that TacSol whole gun, right from them, complete.  And it's badass.  

For action parts, I'll completely recommend Power Custom (Grand Masters LLC) Grand Master Action Kit.  It turns the box-stock Ruger 10/22 into a literal Shooting Ninja.

http://powercustom.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=81

Minus that one whole TacSol gun, the other 3 Ruger 10/22s have that full kit in them.  They're badass.  If you buy that kit, and hate it, let me know.  I'll buy it off you for the full MSRP price that you paid, plus shipping to me.  I'll take it off your hands if you think it sucks.  I have one spare full kit sitting here already, and just need another 10/22 to put it in.  Another spare won't hurt me much.  :thumbup:

That's my money-back guarantee here.  I don't lose much.  Just sayin'.

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks. I'm moving slow on this SBR and trying, despite my tendency to buy stuff, to keep the cost down. One thing at a time and only if the parts "pay their way". I've been known, to the detriment of my wallet, to buy stuff, install and try them, and throw them into the parts box if they don't pay their way. If they don't add something they just don't stay in place. I'm sure I'm not the only person on a forum such as this who does that. Heck, it took me a year to decide to buy the new barrel and another 7 months to flip the middle finger to Vol'. Yeah, moving slow. Maybe I was a turtle in a former life. 

I'll look over that Power Custom site.

Other than Steel Challenge, which to me is a game I use to stay sharp (same as USPSAs use by me), I really have no use for this gun today. Correction! It has also gone on walks with the wife and I since I can't move fast or very far and we do have the potential for aggressive rabid animals in our AO. But in that role I far prefer the CP33 with an arm brace since it's so light that I even forget it's slung. 

Nearly forgot. OK, I did forget. 

My EDC has an extended mag release so that my tiny fingers can reach it better. It has released the mag at least 2x that I can recall but that's 2x too many. I looked for the OEM release but can't find one, so I ordered another. It was supposed to be delivered last Tuesday. I'm assuming weather played a role but it's in Southern Maine now and I expect delivery tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, BrianK said:

I can see that kit working its way into my 10/22. 

It's quality stuff, man. I love it.  It all works very well together, that whole kit.  That's my reason for saying I'll take it off your hands, no monetary penalty on your part, if you don't like it.  :thumbup:

If you don't like it, that just means I need another 10/22...   :laffs: