• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How often do you guys clean your barrel

So far a bore snake is it I'm not as bold as rob, but that's all in over a year before I start shooting! Girls demand a lot of my time;) depends on what your looking to do every time I'm far from a hunter and just hit paper the best I can to relive stress and smell the smoke early in the am!

Visual inspection with a bore scope and if I get the feeling that my groups are starting to get larger. Also, quality of ammo. Lake City, FGMM, my handloads not so much. Turkish, Indian, Pakistani, etc, surplus and Russian steel case? Every time I use them.

I hate cleaning my guns, its a PITA sometimes.

I clean other peoples guns ! That is a damm shame ! The shuff I get out of the insides is dirty nasty grime and worst !! The barrel might be clean , magwell spotless BUT the trigger area would be filled with grease ,dirt and powder residue some time so thick the gun won't function. Maybe that is what should be addressed a couple times a year.

Just Sayin'

Edited by Dane Armory

Ar platform rifles after every 250 rounds or less if using a can, bolt guns twice a year if they have been properly broke in ,

1. Never ever clean your rifle from the muzzle always clean from the chamber.. cleaning from the muzzle is a good way to ruin a crown.

2. get all the copper out and keep it out, it is hard to do if you do not properly break in a new barrel but once done it is a dream to clean and accurate as hell....

I know some very good long range shooters and they only clean the barrel when the rifle starts to open up or bullets off call. I used to clean every time then switch, I couldn't tell the difference between being clean and not at 800 to 1000yds. My 308 AR I will clean the chamber with brush and mop and bolt on a 3 day match and then clean the whole rifle after it's all done.

Each barrel is different and for semi auto easily clean after every shoot is better in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

My rifle barrel likes to run a bit fouled. I like to use a bore snake with a bit of CLP on it after each range trip. That doesn't get the copper fouling out, but my rifle seems to be more accurate with a little copper fouling. I observed this on my last range trip. My buddy and I have been working up some good reloads for the rifle. We had a load that had gotten decent 1-1.25" groups with a couple sub moa on the last trip. We decide to clean our bores. He suggested I get all the copper fouling out. So, I let him clean my rifle barrel. My last range trip after that cleaning the same exact loads opened up to close to 3" groups. Nothing else had changed. So, I fired off about 80rnds of surplus ammo. Then I shot 4 five shot groups of Malasian milsurp, cause I was out of the reloads. The last four groups were all sub 2" groups, with a couple that went 1.5" and 1.7". The tightest group was the last group. I would not have believed shooting a copper fouled bore would enhance barrel accuracy if I hadn't seen it.

After the session, my buddy and I looked at the bore with a bore scope. The reason became apparent. The SS PA10 barrel had some rough spots in it. You could see where after shooting a bit the copper sort of smoothed over the rough spots. The first rounds had to go over the rough spots getting copper scraped off the bullets, and the final groups probably had a much smoother bore to travel due to those rough spots being smoothed out with copper.

So, after seeing that, I doubt I'll do a thorough cleaning of the rifle bore with more than a bore snake and some CLP. At least not until group sizes open up. My guess is that there are probably quite a few rifle bores with rough spots that probably shoot better with some copper fouling, more so than we'd like to think.