• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New to the group / could use some advice!

jcc2574

Hey all!  I could use some advice from the group here.  I recently built an AR-15 with an Anderson lower and a Larue UU kit and its awesome!  I would like to do something similar with a 308 built but as I'm new to the world, its a bit overwhelming.  I would like to stick with a  Larue UU kit but am not sure about compatibility with lowers. Can anyone speak to this?  My inclination is to go with an Aero M5 lower but before I go spending $$ I thought I would throw it out there and see what you guys thought and who has experience with mixing/matching and hopefully specifically the parts I've referenced.  Thank you all and if there is a thread on this already, I apologize.

9 hours ago, jcc2574 said:

Edgecrusher,  as I was reading, I was beginning to think that might be the case. Thanks for the reply.  Do you have a lower that you would recommend?

So, if you want Larue it’ll be tough to find a matching lower as not many companies are building in that pattern, so you may be looking at a complete rifle. If you would like to build, which I encourage you to, then the Aero sets are not only budget minded but pretty nice. Mega Maten sets are gorgeous, I have one I’m building up, and offer full ambi options. Using quality parts in the heart of your rifle (barrel, bcg and trigger) is where you will find accuracy. 

Armalite and Matrix are the only ones I can think of using that cut. Knight’s are too now that I think of it.

On 9/27/2020 at 8:22 PM, jcc2574 said:

Edgecrusher,  as I was reading, I was beginning to think that might be the case. Thanks for the reply.  Do you have a lower that you would recommend?

Spend the $299 and just buy the LaRue lower receiver.  That's the best thing to do.

It's also the best thing to do for your small-frame gun on the Anderson lower - lust buy a LaRue small-frame lower for $199, and don't mess around.

Then, you have a complete LaRue gun, top quality, and not some half-assed gun that's almost-badass. 

My $0.02 on the whole affair.  For both guns.  You're SO close to having TWO BADASS GUNS...  So don't cheap out on some other lower receiver. 

Would you put a complete Noveske upper receiver on a $39 lower?...

Years from now, when LaRue lowers might not be available, you'll be saying to yourself, "I was SO CLOSE TO GETTING THIS RIGHT!!!"

- while you kick yourself in your own nuts over it all. :bitchslap:

Edited by 98Z5V