• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Officially Retired!

Cliff R

Just sitting here checking out some new threads and realized that today is my last day with the County.  I've been doing CSI work (death investigations) for them since 2005 and it's my last day to be on call.   Hopefully nobody does anything stupid this evening and I get called out.  Tomorrow I am officially done.  That will leave more time for shooting, playing with the grand kids, and throwing sticks for my dogs!........

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

32 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Many thanks.  Already started on some bucket-list stuff, building another bedroom downstairs.  Just about finished hanging the dropped ceiling this weekend.......

IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3442.jpg

IMG_3371.jpg

IMG_3440.jpg

So it's not just me :laffs:So happy for you brother a long healthy and happy retirement.🍻🍻🍻

"Looking like a good project. If you’re following @unforgiven’s path you better stock up on ibuprofen and Bengay right now." 

No chit.  I'd absolutely starve to death doing that sort of work.  End result is good, but not my sort of thing for sure and at the end of a day of going up/down ladders and up off the floor I'm DONE!

It's actually the 3rd time I've retired.  Military in 2003, went on SS last April at 62, now the County job yesterday.  I've really enjoyed slowing down and not working nearly as much and have just been diverting the time to other projects.  I recommend for everyone reading this to try it.  For sure it's a leap of faith as no matter how far you come in life there just never seems to be an ideal time to just call it quits and live on what you've put away over the years.

It's also crazy times we are living in right now and the future of this country and our lifestyle is uncertain.  I'm just going to stay out here and hunker down and roll with the punches.  Hopefully we'll get past this COVID chit and the HUGE lack of people wanting to get off their asses and be responsible.  We had half a dozen couples over here for a party last night and the main topic of discussion for the guys out back around the fire pit was HUGE deficits in the work force and they can't get or keep help no matter how much they pay...........very sad for sure.  One of my good friends works for a company who offer a $2500 sign up bonus for truck drivers and no takers.  They also offer $1000 bonus for warehouse personnel and not takers there either.  They are also offering PREMIUM wages and down 5 drivers and 9 warehouse personnel and are WAY behind in fulfilling orders and commitments.

Just sitting here having my morning coffee and listening to the rain pouring down again.........may have to divert efforts from the basement project to building an Ark and rounding up some animals for the flood that's coming!......LOL....

IMG_1314.jpg

IMG_2952.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

For those of you at or near retirement you can go onto the Social Security website and create an account, but you can't apply till right before your 62nd birthday.  It will allow you to go in and take a look at your payment history and compute your retirement amounts at different years starting at 62.

I decided to start drawing at 62 even though you take a monthly hit vs waiting till 65-67 or longer, and your W-2 wages from then on are limited to something like $18,000 per year.  The "crossover" point was around age 73 to where I'd have started making more money waiting till age 67 before drawing.  I could really give a chit about all that, figured I'd take my money now when I can still enjoy it more, and they (the Govt) count on you not making to or much past age 73 anyhow.

None of us know what the future holds, and past age 60 you're on borrowed time anyhow.  I've had three very good friends pass recently one at 59, another at 62,  the other at 64, which made me take a harder look at when to retire and start enjoying what time I have left.  I also learned recently that two very close friends I served with on Active Duty (one was an instructor same time I was there) back in the late 1980's passed last year, they were 60 and 62.

Anyhow, headed to the basement to start putting in the dropped ceiling and put that project in the rear view mirror.  Being shooting related I'd rather be pistol whipped than do carpentry work!......LOL.....

IMG_2865.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Congrats on the retirement Cliff, and I agree with you about getting the social security early. We don’t know what the future will hold so live your life enjoying yourself just incase it is it won’t be there tomorrow. That’s why instead of 19 more years I am really thinking about 14. I guess that’s a long time though for things things to change.

Tricare for Life made my decision much easier although I would have went at 62 anyhow.  Deb is going to work two more years till she hits 62 and our house and properties will all be paid off the year she retires, so it's coming together pretty well.

I'm still working every day and keeping the website up and selling parts.  Finishing up the last of the actual work from that business and have already shut down the restoration and rebuilding side of it.  Parts sales takes up about 4-6 hours a day and pretty easy so I'm going to keep doing that for a while.  Plus I have tens of thousands of parts left in the inventory I need to liquidate.

Just took a break from the dropped ceiling install, and watching it rain.  If all this rain would have been snow we'd be buried in 5-6' of it.  I guess it's supposed to get colder and start snowing at some point, looking forward to a little snow on the ground, beats mud that's for sure!........

21 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Tricare for Life made my decision much easier although I would have went at 62 anyhow.  Deb is going to work two more years till she hits 62 and our house and properties will all be paid off the year she retires, so it's coming together pretty well.

I'm still working every day and keeping the website up and selling parts.  Finishing up the last of the actual work from that business and have already shut down the restoration and rebuilding side of it.  Parts sales takes up about 4-6 hours a day and pretty easy so I'm going to keep doing that for a while.  Plus I have tens of thousands of parts left in the inventory I need to liquidate.

Just took a break from the dropped ceiling install, and watching it rain.  If all this rain would have been snow we'd be buried in 5-6' of it.  I guess it's supposed to get colder and start snowing at some point, looking forward to a little snow on the ground, beats mud that's for sure!........

You got a plan brother I told my guys the same thing. Wrap up debts to be ready for pulling the pin. Everything we fought for and voted on payed off. Main thing is the wife will be taken care of. 

Congrats on the retirement Cliff! Enjoy life now!

I waited until I was 65 to start my social security, when I started my Medicare. I've been collecting my police retirement since I was 48 (I've almost collected as many retirement checks as I did work checks) and I knew that my Social security was going to be crap. They didn't deduct SS most of the time I was on the PD, although I did pay into it for 8 years before that and for several years after I retired from the PD. SSA cuts your benefits in half if you get a retirement check from a state retirement. I pretty much just started social security to pay for my Medicare premiums.