• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New old guy from Western NC.

MtnMike

New to the forum.  I m just west (and a good right) of Asheville proper.  Found the forum when looking for info on a couple different AR308 rifles I was considering. Ended up purchasing a Windham Weaponry R16SFST-308. Seemed like a good choice for my goals of (1) something light enough  I could use for deer/pig hunting  & (2) upping my capabilities in the event of a zombie apocalypse or other poop hitting the fan scenario.  Only modification I'm planning out of the gate is replacing the A2 with a Precision Armament’s M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator.  Less than 1 oz difference in weight with reportedly a significant kick reduction.   Still waiting on both. Delivery moving at the speed of COVID.  Thinking about replacing the stock with an MFT Battlelink Minimalist stock at 6 oz and maybe replacing the trigger.  But I want to shoot it for a bit first to see how it feels and performs.

Welcome to the forum.   That WW rifle looks pretty good from the little bit I read about it. 

I don't recall anyone who has reported on one here.  Please give a review of how it works for you.  That way others who search for WW 308AR can find an owner's report.

As for the Minimalist stock, I would be concerned about the front to back balance of the rifle with a very light stock.  Dropping a few ounces from the back can make it front heavy.  I'm not saying it won't work and don't do it, just a word of caution.  I like the stock and have one on a small frame AR.

22 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum.   That WW rifle looks pretty good from the little bit I read about it. 

I don't recall anyone who has reported on one here.  Please give a review of how it works for you.  That way others who search for WW 308AR can find an owner's report.

As for the Minimalist stock, I would be concerned about the front to back balance of the rifle with a very light stock.  Dropping a few ounces from the back can make it front heavy.  I'm not saying it won't work and don't do it, just a word of caution.  I like the stock and have one on a small frame AR.

Thanks you all for the welcome.  I hear you on the stock concerns.  I'm not rushing to do anything until I've spent some time and get the feel of the rifle.  I'm using a lightweight non-illuminated Leupold scope to start with, so the total weight (without magazine and freedom pills) should still be under 9#.  Which I'm guessing is within a 1/2#  of the .270 Rem 700 BDL set up I currently use for hunting with no complaints. I saw the Minimalist stock on a POF Revolution that I considered.  The POFs are about the lightest weight AR308's I ran across that were fully assembled and available.  Really liked the engineering of the POFs, but their company's founder and chief engineer passed in 2020 and I ran into a lot of posts where folks had had issues with the guns and were none too pleased with POF's.

• 3 weeks later...