• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your other hobbies and interests?

imschur

I have the hot rod disease. When I was still working, I was putting in so dang many hours all the stuff in my garage stagnating. No time.

Now, I have plenty of time but no $.

::)

But I spend a lot of time out in the shop tinkering, making a little progress as $ allows, selling a car here and there to fund the next project. I did manage to add on to my shop and now have almost 1400 sq. ft. of insulated, sheet rocked and heated man cave, and enough stuff to keep me busy for the rest of my life, and that is if I don't drag some other pile home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been into the hot rods since I was very young. Worked a drag race crew before I could drive. I did take a year of work in the late 80's and qualified for an NHRA licence (228 mph) but never was able to get the ride. Still building/chopping/painting hot rods/customs/Harleys, current project is a 50 Belair for a buddy of mine (dropped the top 3 1/2" already) and my 53 Belair sits in the garage. Need to finish the 64 Rolls we are painting for an investment broker this winter. Between parts for the 53 and ARs I am glad the girlfiend is OK with all this.

-Fishing for large mouth bass (consumes a lot of my free time and money)

-Riding my Harley

-Working on my IH Scout

-Snowboarding

-Softball

-Hunting deer, coyote (need to do it more) and turkey, would like to get into pheasant, duck and quail (bear, elk, lynx and big horn sheep are on my bucket list)

-Learning to play guitar (had one for a year, just don't put a lot of time into it, even though I really want to learn...seems contradictory)

-weightlifting, running/working out (don't do it enough, but need to, I use to compete in power lifting)

These are all things I thoroughly enjoy and do when I feel like it.  As I get older I get lazier and my family comes before any of these. 

There are types of thing I want to learn how to do though- photography, welding, sheet metal working and more in-depth auto repair (ring and pinions, transmission and motor rebuilding)

I like to work with my hands and take things apart  ;D

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, Ok I'm an old fart but my mind is still 20.

I shoot everything, high power airguns, powderburners, and BP...like my hand-cannons. My name gives away my other hobby, guitar player collector. Don't know if I have more guns or guitars run out of room a while ago.

I still ride my Honda 1800 VTX ( the wife made me sell the V-maxs 85 & 89. I got back into RC Planes mostly electric a few years ago after a long abstinence, it's right up there with shooting.

studio032110a.jpg

[img width=810 height=532]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/goldbonder/guitars/studio032110floorracks.jpg

[img width=810 height=525]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/goldbonder/guitars/studio032110leswall2.jpg

MeVTXatDunkincopy-1.jpg

vmaxleftsidewholecopy.jpg

[img width=810 height=545]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww129/goldbonder/rides/85V-max2copy.jpg

I shoot long range competitively, I am a Freemason, I am an avid outdoorsman (hunting, trapping, camping, fishing, etc.), I am also a cowboy for my in-law's ranch when I am not Coal Mining.

I also like railroad stuff...I spent 3 years as a Conductor/Engineer for the Union Pacific after I got out of the Army.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My other hobbies....

History

Physics

Structural science

Scale model making

Auto body (just getting started)

Video gaming

Story, script and parody writing

Psychology

Farenzic studies

Trends forecasting

Scientific philosophy

Myth and Urban legend research

Video analysis

Paranormal research (Scientific, not the popular ghost charming)

So basically I'm a weird intilectual with a bad habbit of wounding people's pride who's idea of fun bores most people.

Scale model making?  From scratch?

I'm on a Miniature Machine Tools forum.  Lots of those guys build ships and trains...crazy accurate replicas!  One dude built a replica steam engine model of a locomotive used in a mine in Colorado between 1893 and 1902.  And then he redid the whole front of the boiler because the boiler plate he made had 18 bolt holes, while the train had 17 bolt holes in real life.

Ship builders too.  Making 150 replica brass cannons for their model of the "HMS Blowhard" from 1732 and stuff.

Lots of watch and clock makers on there also.  Not the "order a kit and slap some parts together" builders.  The cut each gear and wind each spring builders.  Intricate.

Jon

I'm on a Miniature Machine Tools forum.  Lots of those guys build ships and trains...crazy accurate replicas!  One dude built a replica steam engine model of a locomotive used in a mine in Colorado between 1893 and 1902.  And then he redid the whole front of the boiler because the boiler plate he made had 18 bolt holes, while the train had 17 bolt holes in real life.

Ship builders too.  Making 150 replica brass cannons for their model of the "HMS Blowhard" from 1732 and stuff.

Lots of watch and clock makers on there also.  Not the "order a kit and slap some parts together" builders.  The cut each gear and wind each spring builders.  Intricate.

Jon

Love that kind of stuff, really appeals to the machinist in me. I love the way those guys approach challenges and solve problems.

You lost me at Farenzic....must be Italian.

Give me a break. I'm dyslexic and had been up for 34 hours at the time.

Jon

Actually, my first model (age 4) was scratch built since no one would let me get a kit.

I did allot of kits in elementary and high school but for the most part I prefered scratch my whole life. It's sort of like preferring to build an AR-15 rather then buy one whole. When you scratch buid you get to do everything to YOUR level of detail and in the scale of your choice. You can do the same with kits but it's my experience that in the end, you spend more time removing poorly done details before redoing them then it takes to just scratch build. Nowadays I only use kits for planning and scientific testing. For instance, I am currently doing an auto body project and am first replicating the project in small scale using kits before spending big bucks to tackle it in full scale.

There are pictures of my work online but my real name is attached to them so I'd rather leave it be.

I am currently working on a model of the Kutty Sark. I'll post pics when I'm done.

My specialty has been castles, fighter aircraft and 20th and 21st century navy ships. I am particularly good with F-4 Phantoms, Mig 29s, F-14s, battleships and aircraft carriers. I really enjoy battleships and aircraft carriers because they can be fine detailed in sections and prety much go on forever (especially aircraft carriers.

My Kutty Sark model is relitively small because my working space has shrunk over the years. In the past I tended to keep my ship models quite large. Usually scaled between 100 and 200. Some have had keels nearly the size of some real boats.

Edited by MaDuce

• 3 weeks later...

Baking.

I've always done a little baking with mixes but never from scratch.

Recently I started making my own whole wheat flat breads and thought "Why not make loaves?"  Immediately the first bread that came to mind was sourdough, as it is my wife's favorite from bakeries.

Found this website: http://sourdoughhome.com/index.php

Dude has a whole tutorial on making whole wheat sourdough from scratch, without kits or store yeast.

Started my first sourdough starter (a pile of dough kept on hand, which is really a yeast culture...a portion of this is mixed in with ingredients when you want to bake a loaf) yesterday.  Sure as heck...it is about ready to feed, by adding a bit more water and a bit more flour.

Was telling my buddy about this yesterday.  He said he just saw an article on a bakery in California that has had the same batch of sourdough starter for 120 years.

Kick ass!

Jon

Jon, that's true about Cali sourdough. In San Francisco, at the Boudin bakery, they have been using the same yeasts since they started their company.

They mix up a full batch, let the yeast reproduce, then use half. Then they repeat the process. My wife and I wen to one of their bakery's a while back and did a tour.

I enjoy kayaking immensely, here in Florida we have a lot of places to go and choose from. I live 3 miles from the Withlacoochee river, the latest season of axe men(logzilla crew) was filmed on this river. Gators, water moccasins, otters and American  bald Eagle are plentiful on the Withlacoochee. I also like throwing knives and tomahawks, about every  evening after work I practice on a target I set up alongside my house. I have a couple cold steel frontier hawks and for knives I like the cold steel Sure balance thrower.  I plan on setting up my own DIY forge and begin making my own knives.

IMAG0133.jpg

I enjoy kayaking immensely, here in Florida we have a lot of places to go and choose from. I live 3 miles from the Withlacoochee river, the latest season of axe men(logzilla crew) was filmed on this river. Gators, water moccasins, otters and American  bald Eagle are plentiful on the Withlacoochee. I also like throwing knives and tomahawks, about every  evening after work I practice on a target I set up alongside my house. I have a couple cold steel frontier hawks and for knives I like the cold steel Sure balance thrower.  I plan on setting up my own DIY forge and begin making my own knives.

IMAG0133.jpg

where exactly along the river? I'm at the edge of Wesley Chapel. I've always wanted to learn blacksmithing too, keep a business card in my wallet of a guy near St Leos that does classes