• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son turned 14 in June and here in Oklahoma 14 year olds can get a license to ride motorcycles 250 cc and under.  I purchased him a 2015 Yamaha V-Star 250 so he can ride to school from now on.  Right now he has some more time on his drivers permit before he is officially licensed.  I ended up trading 3 guns for a Honda VTR1300R twin cylinder motorcycle.  So we could spend time driving together.  Now I've got two sets of saddlebags on order. The brackets that keep them out of the rear tire and engine guard in case he lays it over.  It should protect his legs a bit more.  I also purchased him a good Fulmer helmet and HID Headlights for both of our motorcycles.  Man those new Ebay HID lights are not very expensive and they are great lights that make it so I don't even need to use the high beams.  Lately with the OKlahoma temperatures running around 108 during the day we've been riding in the evening after it cools off.  About 60 to 75 miles every evening so he gets as much hands on training as I can fit in before he gets his regular license.  Now the big deal is to keep him fr4om getting run over by some driver that does not notice him. 

By the way I recently got an app for my cell phone called Geek and it's full of Chinese stuff mostly electronic but a bunch of it being deals I can't hardly believe.  I recently purchased a wrist light that is exactly like the Surefire 2211 wrist light that sells for $495 bucks.  I only paid $18 each for every one I purchased. They call it a Tactical Rechargeable LED Flashlight After I purchased the first one and discovered it was exactly like the Surefire with Cree bulb Lithium Ion batteries I just had to purchased enough for my family for hunting or whatever they need light for.  I hate buying Chinese stuff but this is exactly what Surefire is selling minus the Surefire label  The web site is https://www.wish.com 

I can't find any blem in the brake. Only thing I see is the wrench flats may not be perfectly lined up with the ports? Might just be my eyes. That brake doesn't look to be for sale though in the regular section? Just the ones with the FH prongs. Maybe they are just getting rid of old stock.

Thanks Shepp, my wife and I started over again at age 43 (her) and I was 45 when Scotty was born. He and my wife have had the 4H Jackson County Riding club ( horses) as a big part of their lives since he was about 8 years old. I keep my butt of horses and much prefer my Rhino and now the Honda VTR1300R.  It's great that we can do this together and I'm having a ball with it trying to teach him what is right and what will get you hurt.  His best friend is also on his motorcycle learners permit so I've been taking him  out with us to learn the ropes so to speak.  The night before last the three of us were on a two lane road doing about 65 MPH when a cattle truck passed us going the opposite direction and he was hauling butt with a powerful blast of air he was pushing.  It startled me quite a bit and the first thing I did was to look in my rear view mirror to make sure it didn't knock my son or his friend off their bikes.  Then we pulled over and talked about it.  There are so many things a person need to watch for but if I can keep them from being run over it will be worth it.  I'm also having a bunch of fun compared to when I road years ago.  I had a Kawasaki Vulcan and the position I was setting in made long rides impossible.  This Honda 1300 is just right and it's great to put long rides on with my son on his V-Star 250

f

I purchased him a 2015 Yamaha V-Star 250 so he can ride to school from now on. 

Watch the drivechain maintenance on those things - they are some chain-stretching bastards.  Seriously.  People buy these things and think "it's only a 250, it can't be that powerful..."  It's not the engine power, or the torque - it's Yamaha's design of the drive system.  I've had people skip the first and second services (600 miles and 4,000 miles), and bring them in with a super loose chain that ate through the left side of the swingarm...

It's lovely to tell them that it is NOT covered under factory warranty, because they neglected to perform the maintenance on it.

For real, clean/lube/adjust that chain twice as often as it tells you in the owner's manual, periodic maintenance chart.  Yes, I am talking about the V-Star 250 here.  <thumbsup>

PS - the clutch sucks, too - you let the lever out about 7/8ths of it's travel before you hit the friction zone.  Same design on the V-Star 650 and V-Star 1100...  There's no "adjustment" you can do to change that - just make sure the clutch lever freeplay is set right - very little freeplay, just like a dirtbike, but it has to have some freeplay.

98Z5V you are spot on about the V-Star 250.  Had I realized it's short comings I probably would have talked my son into a water cooled 250 Street trail Honda.  We tightened the chain today and also put on the engine guard.  I will never understand why Yamaha let that model out of the factory with that clutch.  At first I thought it was just his bike with the crazy 7/8 engagement clutch.  I tried to adjust it to function differently and ended up with it not engaging at all and had to adjust it back to the way it came originally. The bike is now right at a little over 700 miles and I've got it scheduled for it's first maintenance appointment on Thursday.  I am a little worried about the dealer maintenance though.  When they sold it they told me it didn't come with a tool kit and when I asked about the oil filter the guy that spoke like he was the shop manager told me you had to split the case to get to the oil filter so it was a dealer service item.  What a bunch of BS, it's on the right side of the engine under a cover with three bolts holding it on.  Just like our old Kawasaki Bayou.  The only reason I am taking it in is I'm not comfortable adjusting the valves but could probably figure it out.  However I'm pretty busy with my company and time is an issue.  

This evening after we got done working on his 250 I decided to put a new set of saddlebags on the Honda 1300.  I purchased a Jumbo Slant Saddlebag from J&P Cycles for $178 and I'm not impressed one bit with them.  Instead of the throwever set like I have on it.  These require me to drill two holes to mount them with the saddlebag guard on the inside.  What a pain in the butt.  Trying to line up the holes through the saddlebags, guard mount holes, back rest holes and the factory holes inside the crop on top of the rear fender is a big pain in the butt.  AARRGG!!!  Also the plastic closure locks suck.  As my son opened one up for the first time the plastic backing that holds it in place came off.  Not very high quality for that price.  

Sounds like you are pretty rural ridurall but it would be well worth it to locate a motorcycle safety course nearby.  Either Motorcycle Safety Foundation or Total Control, though I've heard said the MSF is more ideal for those starting out.

Already been there and done that.  Before my son started on this journey he started with the 3 day motorcycle course at the local college.  I was quite impressed with their training even with the amount of miles they put on the motorcycles during the course. I lot of hands on training.  It's accreted enough so that he won't even have to drive with an Oklahoma Hwy Patrol License officer when his permit time is over. 

Impact guns has the EoTech 552 AA batt BDC .308 NV BLK for $561.00 w/$20.00 ship.They say they will match any online price.LA Policegear has the same but w/a backorder for $549.00 w/ $2.99 ship....that is no typeo.So Impact guns gave it to me for that price $551.00 shipped :banana:  Fuk yea.How do ya like me now. <lmao>   this : http://www.impactguns.com/eotech-552-aa-night-vision-compatible-with-bdc-reticle-for-308-552xr308-672294523086.aspx