• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

hi from OHIO!

jeffery

So I found this forum after a search on google looking for this kind of thing. I am in the process of putting together all the parts needed to build a .308 on an AR platform. It is a very slow build. I won't build it myself since I have no idea how to do it properly. Fortunately I have a co-worker that knows all about this sort of thing. I had him build an AR15 carbine for me this spring and its fantastic. Most of it was Aero Precision and at least the lower,upper and hand guards on this are as well. This will be my 3rd AR. I bought my first AR15 back in 2019 when things were starting to happen that gave me that foreboding feeling of things to come. Its a Smith and Wesson M&P Sport 2. Just an entry level AR of course but its still very solid. I bought the M5 lower back in 2019 as well and just now starting it in 2022. I have been reading a lot of material on parts combo's etc and its a bit daunting. I have not decided what barrel length to go with as yet. I figured I would get a lot of good info here on this forum to consider.  So just saying hello. Im going to apologize in advance for any forthcoming Captain Obvious questions that might come....lol

6 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

There are no stupid questions.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. :laffs:

6 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

You may be pointed to info previously posted that should answer your questions.

This part is highly accurate though.

Welcome aboard from Maryland.

8 hours ago, jeffery said:

I have not decided what barrel length to go with as yet.

Let's talk about you posting an Intro, first - Thank you!  Lots of rude bastards lately just jump in, ask questions, DEMAND info, and think they're ENTITLED to information that's been earned over years of research, work, experimentation, money in ammo and reloading components, etc.  We OWE them... 

That's definitely not the case.  :laffs:

So, for your barrel length question, that's really the key part here.  What's your purpose or intent for this gun?  Tell us what you want it to do.  Tell us what you expect it to do for you.  Give us the idea that you have in mind for this gun, your own expectations of it, and your desired goal for it.  No single gun can do everything - each one has a specific purpose.  Some can have multiple roles, and do most of those well.  Pitch us your idea of what this gun will give you, and it makes recommendations ALOT easier on our part - and that's where the discussion begins. 

20 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

Post up what parts you intend to buy, before you buy, we may save you some money/ grief. Welcome to the forum. 

^^^  Best advice you'll get, right there.  Don't buy anything before you discuss it. 

My hometown is Zanesville, Oh.  Where you at in OH?

ok so the upper and lower set and hand guards are Aero. Larue 2 stage trigger Thats it so far but I was considering the following.

Cryptic Coating bcg or lantac or JP Enterprises

titanium firing pin

Rainier Arms Ultramatch mod 2 20" fluted barrel

Magpul PRS GEN3 Precision-Adjustable Stock - Black

probably a Radian Raptor charging handle ambi. of some sort. if not maybe Aero version.

Building a long gun of a sort is what I am focusing on at the moment since I already have an AR15 carbine length. But thats not exactly set in stone either

The PRS is adjustable, but not collapsible. They're sturdy as hell though. That's what I run on both of my AR-10 SASS rifles. I would only suggest to think about whether or not you want a 20" barrel. If you're building this to be a bench gun, or for it to be used in a (fixed emplacement) sniper type of role, then the weight won't make a difference. But if you're planning to use this gun for something on the move, you might want to consider a shorter barrel. Many people around here (myself included) will attest to the distance that that the large frame AR platform can reach out to. The average 16" 308 AR can easily reach out past 500 yards without any problem. And the weight really shaves off with as the barrel gets shorter. Plus the whole maneuverability factor.

Not knocking your plans at all my man. Just throwing out things to consider with your build.

Edit - I went back to my last SASS build thread. She came out weighing 15 pounds empty. Just for refernce.

Edited by Rsquared

23 hours ago, Rsquared said:

The PRS is adjustable, but not collapsible. They're sturdy as hell though. That's what I run on both of my AR-10 SASS rifles. I would only suggest to think about whether or not you want a 20" barrel. If you're building this to be a bench gun, or for it to be used in a (fixed emplacement) sniper type of role, then the weight won't make a difference. But if you're planning to use this gun for something on the move, you might want to consider a shorter barrel. Many people around here (myself included) will attest to the distance that that the large frame AR platform can reach out to. The average 16" 308 AR can easily reach out past 500 yards without any problem. And the weight really shaves off with as the barrel gets shorter. Plus the whole maneuverability factor.

Not knocking your plans at all my man. Just throwing out things to consider with your build.

Edit - I went back to my last SASS build thread. She came out weighing 15 pounds empty. Just for refernce.

Its a solid point. One I have been considering for a while. Its really the only sticking point for me overall. I dont even really have anyplace to shoot distance here in Ohio anyway. There is a range run buy the state that goes out 100 yards which is great really. Ohio put a ton of money into this range and from the looks on the website its pretty sweet looking. Outdoors of course but its like $25 a year I think. But I digress. So its a toss up and thanks for the heads up on the prs .. I was not aware of that. If I did go with a 20 inch I would use that but if I go with a 16 I might just get the other magpul collapsible thats like the one on my ar15.

2 hours ago, jeffery said:

I dont even really have anyplace to shoot distance here in Ohio anyway.

I'm not sure where you are in Ohio, but here's a list of ranges in Michigan.  There's even a couple of 600 yard ranges up north, possibly a good place to do a combination cabin rental/shooting fun time.

Shooting ranges in Michigan

Map of Michigan counties

Edited by RacerX