• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

On 11/23/2022 at 4:36 PM, DNP said:

Looking forward to seeing that one. I’m still in need of a meat slicer, or I would have done this with our last belly. 

On 11/24/2022 at 11:40 AM, Sisco said:

I hand cut with a long, extremely sharp Japanese knife designed for sushi and shashimi.

I agree with knife, I have a long boning knife that works well. Problem with a slicer is it spins to fast causing the fat to heat up. They actually make special slicers for bacon because of that. Plus I like THICCC bacon

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried something new after seeing - video @greenmountaingrills posted a few months back. Trimmed my brisket yesterday, then rendered the fat with a cup of coffee in my crock pot which worked awesome! This morning I injected with the tallow and used as binder (I did not like it as a binder when I pulled it off the cookie sheet, alot stuck to the sheet). Rubbed it with a coffee rub. Flat is a touch dry but cut with a fork tender.

ps I now will be saving all of my beef trimmings to make tallow for cooking. @DNPim kinda thinking of injecting a tri tip as an experiment 

pps: @Armed Eye Doc, Dirk or any others who get beef processed get your fat. Put it in the crock pot with a cup or so of water and let it got 8-9 hours. Save it like you would bacon grease. All this bs about cholesterol from animal fats was started in the 60’s by the sugar industry. In moderation animal fats are good for us, and these seed oils like corn, soy and grape seed were originally developed for industrial lubes and are linked to inflammation especially in our eyes. Probably better for you than bacon grease too cuz it’s straight fat, no salt or nitrates 

4CA1C198-CBDE-40FC-8CB8-032DBE905DBA.jpeg

56E1580D-876D-431F-AD4D-228C29D26D68.jpeg

AC8ADC0A-838F-4CE7-8F21-CEE7824A79E5.jpeg

C06E72E1-6268-44DE-AEEE-04842260F0F4.jpeg

F731E6CC-B39D-49DF-813C-DA18B7EE14D2.jpeg

DAE336D0-946E-4F4D-A114-4F982394D063.jpeg

332BF63B-178F-4C05-BFAB-AE7B0EEC301D.jpeg

9405A047-3876-4D8D-A4B7-E7B1C09A040F.jpeg

EB140CC6-1E18-4C4C-914F-3696007693A3.jpeg

73F6CFA8-8261-4E1F-AC20-6EFE9161048D.jpeg

On 11/27/2022 at 9:04 PM, Sisco said:

Fat got a bad rap it doesn't deserve. It is the carbohydrate/Insulin interaction that causes the body to lose the ability to clear fat from its cells and tissues.

They sure did. My grandpa ate two poached eggs, toast and bacon every day for at least my life time. Smoked cigars, lost his legs in a train accident and lived to be 92, there’s something to be said about that

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Fat got a bad rap it doesn't deserve. It is the carbohydrate/Insulin interaction that causes the body to lose the ability to clear fat from its cells and tissues.

52 minutes ago, shepp said:

They sure did. My grandpa ate two poached eggs, toast and bacon every day for at least my life time. Smoked cigars, lost his legs in a train accident and lived to be 92, there’s something to be said about that

The studies that were done in the 50s wanted to blame fat from livestock, as you said.  They did not account for the huge increase in smoking that started after the turn of the century, especially during the 20s.  Of course, the tobacco companies were covering up their own studies at the time.

My grandma lived to be 97 and ate chunks of fat all of her life.

3 hours ago, shepp said:

Tried something new after seeing - video @greenmountaingrills posted a few months back. Trimmed my brisket yesterday, then rendered the fat with a cup of coffee in my crock pot which worked awesome! This morning I injected with the tallow and used as binder (I did not like it as a binder when I pulled it off the cookie sheet, alot stuck to the sheet). Rubbed it with a coffee rub. Flat is a touch dry but cut with a fork tender.

ps I now will be saving all of my beef trimmings to make tallow for cooking. @DNPim kinda thinking of injecting a tri tip as an experiment 

pps: @Armed Eye Doc, Dirk or any others who get beef processed get your fat. Put it in the crock pot with a cup or so of water and let it got 8-9 hours. Save it like you would bacon grease. All this bs about cholesterol from animal fats was started in the 60’s by the sugar industry. In moderation animal fats are good for us, and these seed oils like corn, soy and grape seed were originally developed for industrial lubes and are linked to inflammation especially in our eyes. Probably better for you than bacon grease too cuz it’s straight fat, no salt or nitrates 

4CA1C198-CBDE-40FC-8CB8-032DBE905DBA.jpeg

56E1580D-876D-431F-AD4D-228C29D26D68.jpeg

AC8ADC0A-838F-4CE7-8F21-CEE7824A79E5.jpeg

C06E72E1-6268-44DE-AEEE-04842260F0F4.jpeg

F731E6CC-B39D-49DF-813C-DA18B7EE14D2.jpeg

DAE336D0-946E-4F4D-A114-4F982394D063.jpeg

332BF63B-178F-4C05-BFAB-AE7B0EEC301D.jpeg

9405A047-3876-4D8D-A4B7-E7B1C09A040F.jpeg

EB140CC6-1E18-4C4C-914F-3696007693A3.jpeg

73F6CFA8-8261-4E1F-AC20-6EFE9161048D.jpeg

I wish I had seen this before I threw away the trimmings of the 2 briskets I cooked on Thursday.

Fat is what has kept every group of people alive since the dawn of time without it we would be extinct, the Eskimo's live on it and if you take out all the chemicals from feed and ,steroids and meds they give animals today it is still good for you ... Pemmican is ground up dried buffalo or any meat mixed with whatever berries or nuts you could find and held together in a cake for by Fat! it is what kept the plains indians alive as well as Lewis and Clark etc. remember chewing the chicken leg knuckles off as a kid that stuff is good for you .....

9 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

The studies that were done in the 50s wanted to blame fat from livestock,

The "lynch pin" study was the subject of a review by a college class, they entered the raw data into a modern computer, I think they said it was entered on punch cards originally. They were shocked to see many errors, errors that made fat look much worse, I heard it on PBS in 2016-17, they even went into who funded the original work insinuating they steered the study, you sure didn't see any retractions though, the original premise still rules most American diets, sad our government sold us out.

bernays-quote.jpg.4df8a556a94baad70d94a7fb5f6370ea.jpg

6 hours ago, Magwa said:

Fat is what has kept every group of people alive since the dawn of time without it we would be extinct, the Eskimo's live on it and if you take out all the chemicals from feed and ,steroids and meds they give animals today it is still good for you ... Pemmican is ground up dried buffalo or any meat mixed with whatever berries or nuts you could find and held together in a cake for by Fat! it is what kept the plains indians alive as well as Lewis and Clark etc. remember chewing the chicken leg knuckles off as a kid that stuff is good for you .....

A whole lot of truth there that modern society conveniently forgot.one of my favorite parts of a steak is the fatty end.

Edited by Sisco

10 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

The "lynch pin" study was the subject of a review by a college class, they entered the raw data into a modern computer, I think they said it was entered on punch cards originally. They were shocked to see many errors, errors that made fat look much worse, I heard it on PBS in 2016-17, they even went into who funded the original work insinuating they steered the study, you sure didn't see any retractions though, the original premise still rules most American diets, sad our government sold us out.

I have posted this before.  The video is a little older now, but the majority is still valid, especially the part about the vilification of fats.

Nigel Keys at the University of Minnesota was a one man wrecking crew of misinformation on dietary issues back then. Unfortunately all the so called health experts listened to him. Read “Good Calorie Bad Calorie” by a former writer for Scientific American. It makes for interesting reading.