• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello From the PNW!

A.James

I've been shooting rifles and shotguns since I was a kid, though not so much lately. Trying to get back into it. I've shot 20ga, 12ga, trap and skeet, .22 (of course), black powder rifles (I think .50cal), various 9mm, Glock .40 and 45ACP pistols, random small caliber lever action rifle (can't even recall what that was), a few bolt action rifles (.243 and .247 if I recall correctly, as well as a few 30/06 sporadically). First time I shot an AR15 I was stoked, and I've shot them a handful of times in the last decade. I like the AR's a lot. But I'm definitely rusty. 50% of wanting to assemble an AR is just cuz I like puzzles and legos and tuning explosive chambers (like turbo charged boxer engines). Its all about balance.

I joined up here to find advice on a build I have planned -

- and I'm very interested in evaluating the idea of longer gas systems in shorter barrels and finding solutions to tune them.

Let me know if you'd like to know any more about me! Already been making some good acquaintances soon to be friends. 

Oh! Please let me know of any long range (300m) places to practice in the Columbia gorge! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

On 3/22/2020 at 7:04 AM, Magwa said:

Welcome from the Rez, look forward to this build using a mid or rifle length system interesting..

A couple of updates in that thread - going with 16" rifle gas, after some study I might be able to cut to 15" on RLGS, but 14.5" is TOO SHORT. I'll check back here occasionally to give updates for anyone who is interested. Current discussion in my thread is about to revolve around BCG - low mass vs. full mass - and buffer systems. Check it out if you're interested. Got a lot of good info from some very knowledgeable and experienced people here, as well as links to some important topics (which I believe are already pinned/sticky-ed).

14 hours ago, A.James said:

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone!

A couple of updates in that thread - going with 16" rifle gas, after some study I might be able to cut to 15" on RLGS, but 14.5" is TOO SHORT. I'll check back here occasionally to give updates for anyone who is interested. Current discussion in my thread is about to revolve around BCG - low mass vs. full mass - and buffer systems. Check it out if you're interested. Got a lot of good info from some very knowledgeable and experienced people here, as well as links to some important topics (which I believe are already pinned/sticky-ed).

yes I have been here I think going on 7 years this sight is a treasure for people wanting to build and if you hand around you will be enabled ...... LOL

Damn, I was in Tacoma from 1992~2004 - and got the hell out of there when things started really going downhill in the state.  It bums me out, bad, too.  I loved it there, but I could never live there again. 

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Damn, I was in Tacoma from 1992~2004 - and got the hell out of there when things started really going downhill in the state.  It bums me out, bad, too.  I loved it there, but I could never live there again. 

I loved it there too, and I agree, could never live there again. 

Welcome from middle Georgia. Seemed to like the region when I worked the Stampede Pass Rail project before the "turn of the century" , but you're right some folks have ruined a couple of really pretty states up there! Anyway welcome and like me hope you find the info you need and more...