Lets see your AR-15

imschur

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a tack driver. I got it December 2019, right before the market went crazy, when they were still affordable. When I was sighting in the scope on it today, our local Coast Guard detachment was lighting it up at the range the next lane over. Sounded like some full auto M4’s and 9 mm sub guns along with sidearms. Wish they had invited me over!

• 2 weeks later...

My first MSR, a 16" BCM upper on a Spikes lower with a long list of decent quality parts and pieces. Since 2012 it's gone through numerous configurations which helped me figure out what I like, what I don't like, what works and what doesn't. I changed the optic mount and muzzle device this past winter so I dragged it to the range to re-zero.  It took some tweaking but now it's GTG again. It made me so happy, I pulled it apart and gave it  a much needed cleaning and thorough inspection.

The old gal still cleans up pretty good...

IMG_7220.jpg

13 hours ago, Black_Sheep said:

My first MSR, a 16" BCM upper on a Spikes lower with a long list of decent quality parts and pieces. Since 2012 it's gone through numerous configurations which helped me figure out what I like, what I don't like, what works and what doesn't. I changed the optic mount and muzzle device this past winter so I dragged it to the range to re-zero.  It took some tweaking but now it's GTG again. It made me so happy, I pulled it apart and gave it  a much needed cleaning and thorough inspection.

The old gal still cleans up pretty good...

IMG_7220.jpg

I likey 🍺🍺

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

C1916437-31BB-4EFD-BD6F-21B1916C72F5.thumb.jpeg.4af152131e44bcdfd536a68fa9895511.jpeg

I have another build in the works despite telling my better half that I was "done for a while". I wanted to try building a well balanced, general purpose, midweight rifle. Hopefully the continuous taper barrel and minimalist stock will help achieve that goal.  Everything I need to finish the build except the barrel, BCG and gas block are here. Criterion anticipates a 2-3 month lead time for the parts. I could probably find the BCM BCG elsewhere but Criterion will check the headspace before shipping. Now it's a waiting game...

The Freedom Edition replaces the large "A" logo on the right side of the receiver with the Stars & Stripes with a unique "Mod Freedom" rollmark and July4 as part of the serial number.

8FD0A99B-B584-44AA-9007-C8CC55608EC1.thumb.jpeg.807b8079fe288f943a980d9f9f911d45.jpeg

M4E1 Stripped Lower Receiver, Special Freedom Edition - Anodized Black 

M4E1 Threaded Stripped Upper Receiver - Anodized Black 

Aero Precision AR15 Upper Parts Kit 

AR15 ATLAS S-ONE 12" M-LOK Handguard  

Magpul Type 2 M*LOK Rail Covers

BCM® Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto

Criterion CORE Series 14.5″ Mid-Length, Chrome-Lined, 223 WYLDE, 1-8 Twist 

Badger Ordnance TDX Gas Manifold 0.625″ - Stainless Steel 

BCM Gas Tube - Mid Length 

VG6 Precision Delta 556 Muzzle Device, Black 

Seekins Precision Bolt Catch

Seekins Precision Billet Magazine Release Button

Colt AR-15/M16 Magazine Release 

Magpul MOE+ Grip Polymer Black

BCM GUNFIGHTER QD End Plate

BCM GUNFIGHTER Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 4B (MEDIUM) Latch

BCM Milspec Carbine Stock Hardware Mounting Kit (Mil-Spec) H1 Buffer

ALG Defense ACT Advanced Combat Trigger Group AR-15 

Radian Talon Ambidextrous 45/90 Safety Selector 2-Lever Set AR-15 

Mission First Tactical Battlelink Minimalist Stock - Collapsible AR-15

Swampfox Blade 1x25 Prism Scope 

Impact Weapons Finger Stop

Edited by Black_Sheep

29 minutes ago, Black_Sheep said:

Criterion CORE Series 14.5″ Mid-Length, Chrome-Lined, 223 WYLDE, 1-8 Twist 

Make sure you get that barrel pinned/welded with a permanent muzzle device that get it to 16", plus. 

Or you are a Felon at 15.999" inches of barrel, even if the device is welded... The VG6 Delta will do it  - if it's permanently attached.  But measure close, before you decide...  Because David Chipman WILL be measuring close.   

16 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Make sure you get that barrel pinned/welded with a permanent muzzle device that get it to 16", plus. 

Or you are a Felon at 15.999" inches of barrel, even if the device is welded... The VG6 Delta will do it  - if it's permanently attached.  But measure close, before you decide...  Because David Chipman WILL be measuring close.   

Absolutely, I should have about .250 to spare. Assuming it meets the legal requirement during mock up, I'll drill for the pin and have a buddy TIG it. 

Thanks for the heads up though...

• 1 month later...

I finished up the build tonight because I forgot where I put the gas tube for safe keeping. The barrel length was dead on 16.25” during mock up so I drilled for the pin and had a buddy TIG weld it in place. It feels pretty light and well balanced. The plan is to get it sighted in at 50 yards per Swampfox’s recommendation on Thursday night before sneaking over to one of the comp bays to run a few mags through it.

76709AA0-4AB0-4C93-BA44-7672A7311291.jpeg

1 minute ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Probably has another bench were the work takes place and this is his bench that company sees. Kinda like having the fancy soaps in the guest bathroom that we were not allowed to touch 

You have fancy soap in your bathroom?  That some leftover French schitt you Canucks got stuck with??

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Probably has another bench were the work takes place and this is his bench that company sees. Kinda like having the fancy soaps in the guest bathroom that we were not allowed to touch 

My buddy JR built the bench out of 1/8" steel about 20 years ago. I've used it to build trannys, cylinder heads, carbs, and damn near anything else you can imagine. It also serves as my reloading bench and as a bar when we have kick ass garage parties. I just cleaned it up for the pic.

Here it is in it's normal state...

IMG_0452.JPG

Edited by Black_Sheep

On 10/5/2021 at 8:02 PM, Black_Sheep said:

76709AA0-4AB0-4C93-BA44-7672A7311291.jpeg

I really like that back lip for tape measures. I have a piece of angle with 6 tape measures on it, I'm really bad for putting down a tape measure and it 'disappears' When I ' run out' of tape measures that's my cue to stop and clean up/put stuff away.