• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

4 hours ago, Drew Eckhardt said:

A 5.3 oz 308 carbine buffer, Springco orange spring, and SLR Rifleworks Sentry 8 adjustable gas block.

With a 3.7 oz 2.5" buffer,  AR Stoner spring measuring 11 1/2" with 28 .074" coils, .100" gas port, and proper AR-10 rifle length gas on my 20" barrel I'm under-buffered leading to bolt-over-base malfunctions running a DPMS magazine with longer feed lips than my ASC magazine which works reliably.

The extra 5/8" of receiver behind the pistol grip made an A2 stock way too long, so I took my first shots using a CTR stock on a 7" milspec extension set to A1 length of pull two notches in.  In the process, I learned about large frame AR gas and recoil system balance.

8lwGVVB.jpg

Gas system is correct

ncYjgVB.jpg

Krieger M4 barrel ramps with Aero Precision "rifle" receiver would be OK on a small AR

vprBfyB.jpg

This right here needs to be it's own thread - start a tech thread in the "Build Section" on this one...   :thumbup:

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Belt Fed said:

500 rounds of IMI green tip 5.56 and 200 rounds federal fusion 224 valkyrie and two m600 weapon lights coming

For that NEXT giant-ass hog that tries to anchor you...  I'm sure...   :lmao::thumbup::hail:

Edited by 98Z5V

6 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

I've had one of those compact splint things on need to get list for a while but just never pulled the trigger, seemed like they were all so injury specific. This one may be a little more versatile, the Jeff Randall endorsement didn't hurt either. 

1.thumb.jpg.2c34be76ac4875886e8dbad8df04191a.jpg

https://eseeknives.com/forums/index.php?threads/buy-this-product.12690/

SAM Splints, brother.  Used for years.  I packed 4 of them in my Ski Patrol bag, all the time. Packed that many in every med bag in the military time - they don't weigh shiit, and are worth their weight in gold - if needed. This just looks like a new invention of one, at a way higher price. 

SAM Splint:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=SAM+Splint

The military ones are a bonus, because they're ODG.

https://fieldcraftsurvival.com/sam-splint-ii/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjPaCBhDkARIsAISZN7To5ARTdS4TK1CEnzLFGaQF_0qfRxBZfefiqslBRaVgqp_VczBWBSYaAhlNEALw_wcB

sam_splint_2__75955.1608155672.jpg?c=1

Edited by 98Z5V

In a pinch - and dune accident - I've used sticks and duct tape.  Tib-fib boot-top fracture.  Here's what we did to get him out:

WashSplint.thumb.jpg.0e9559165d6f7e0fe14cac121da5e24b.jpg

We did this, from the crash site, just to get the leg stable, and get him into @DNPs Rhino - to get him back to camp.  That was a pic of getting him into the truck's back seat, to get him to the hospital, once we got him back to camp.  If I was packing SAM splints, 3 or 4 of them could have done that - but we had sticks and duct tape.  Immobilize the joints above and below the break...  Always...   :thumbup:

Here's how the doc had him wrapped up, after pin-and-screw surgery.

WashYumarecovery.thumb.jpg.3aee1425f710c297fe2ba58c153130b3.jpg

Here's the pins and screws:

WashRodandscrews.thumb.jpg.e292dab497032fd5657408788d4a52cd.jpg

Without @DNP that day, this guy would have been on a helicopter-ride, out of there.  That was the ONLY way we could get to him, as fast as we did, and get him out of there and back to camp/truck...   :hail:

SAM splints, people. They're cheap.  Much better than sticks and duct tape, too.  But, do what you have to, when it arises.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

The doc at the hospital asked him "who the hell did this to you, to get you here?" He'd never seen anything like that.  If that doc had ever been in a really fucked up situation - the way he was packed and wrapped wouldn't have been surprising. 

Telling you guys - break a leg, sever an arm.  Whatever.  Pack you up and wrap you.  I can set deformed, broken bones before I splint you, then "package you comfortable..." 

Fingers and Toes?  FUK MY LIFE, I HATE that shiit.  That's GROSS!  I hate fingers and toes.  Badly.

Edited by 98Z5V

Here's the (worn on body) right side out of my ski med-bag - 2 SAM splints. Same thing out of the left side, if I had to go to that side on the hill. Doesn't matter which side of the pack that I have access to - something is there.  It all comes down to how bad some skier can Sony Bono themselves.  People are impressive, in what they can do to themselves.  Shiit happens.   :thumbup:

SAM splints.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

On 8/17/2013 at 9:02 AM, imschur said:

I have a Zara Spook arriving today

Really, I'm thinking of heading out to Uncle Henry's farm pond, it was unfishable last summer with those damned lily pads.. I like fishing with a  buzz bait, but it would be a Texas Rig worm right now!

Edited by billymagg

^^^  Badass score, brother @shooterrex   :hail:  I'll update my 12.5" build thread - I worked that thing to death with ammo last weekend, to settle that barrel in...  It sucked, initially, trying to zero a brand new gun and barrel, but it got it's shiit straight after about 100 rounds.  3.5 mils at 450 yards, and it finally settled in at night, on that 450 night target.  After that, it learned who was the boss...   :laffs:  I'm sure it's gonna pick up some speed in the next hundred rounds - but I didn't waste any of the handloads on it last weekend, after it pissed me off initially.,. 

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  Badass score, brother @shooterrex   :hail:  I'll update my 12.5" build thread - I worked that thing to death with ammo last weekend, to settle that barrel in...  It sucked, initially, trying to zero a brand new gun and barrel, but it got it's shiit straight after about 100 rounds.  3.5 mils at 450 yards, and it finally settled in at night, on that 450 night target.  After that, it learned who was the boss...   :laffs:  I'm sure it's gonna pick up some speed in the next hundred rounds - but I didn't waste any of the handloads on it last weekend, after it pissed me off initially.,. 

Mine is sighted in and ringing steel @275 yds. Chronograph took a $hit on me so I don't know how fast the bullets are doing out of the short tube. My best guess is about 2350 fps. Have to send this thing back to Caldwell or buy a new one.