• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your other hobbies and interests?

imschur

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

One interest of mine which I have talked about before is the Great Lakes Fishery. As an officer in a Sport Fishing club I have gotten involved in a lot of different things, from raising fish, to fin clipping them, to helping stock them. One project our club started about three years ago was to reduce the incidence of derelict or "ghost" nets. These are commercial or subsistence nets that have broken free, usually due to wind, wave, and sometimes ice action, and drift unmarked, continuing to kill fish, diving birds, and marine mammals, and also pose a threat to boaters, particularly down rigger fishermen, As part of the effort our club had to manufacture 700+ Ghost Net Packs, which give instructions and markers to sport fishermen who have run afoul of one how to mark and report it so it can be removed. I have spent the last three days with volunteers assembling these and will now be distributing them throughout the Lake Superior basin. In doing so I had the opportunity to work with and interact with a group of Sea Scouts. Like their name suggests, they are like boy scouts but oriented towards water. Just a great group of kids. It has made me a lot more optimistic about the future that we are still raising kids like this in our country. They knocked out those 700 kits in under four hours. Anyway, I am just impressed and proud of what those kids have helped us do, and I look forward to working with them again, As the Who said, "The kids are all right."

Edited by Sisco

" In doing so I had the opportunity to work with and interact with a group of Sea Scouts. Like their name suggests, they are like boy scouts but oriented towards water. Just a great group of kids. It has made me a lot more optimistic about the future that we are still raising kids like this in our country. They knocked out those 700 kits in under "

Sisco     No crap I WAS a Sea Scout back in 1963 sumthin...Ha Ha no crap  lol      What a memory you brought back  Thank you!   wonder where my uniform is? I wonder if I find it can I get into it?        Wash

Sea-Scouts-in-Uniform1.jpg?zoom=1.5625&w

Edited by washguy

14 hours ago, washguy said:

" In doing so I had the opportunity to work with and interact with a group of Sea Scouts. Like their name suggests, they are like boy scouts but oriented towards water. Just a great group of kids. It has made me a lot more optimistic about the future that we are still raising kids like this in our country. They knocked out those 700 kits in under "

Sisco     No crap I WAS a Sea Scout back in 1963 sumthin...Ha Ha no crap  lol      What a memory you brought back  Thank you!   wonder where my uniform is? I wonder if I find it can I get into it?        Wash

Awesome Wash! If I had known about them up here I would have gotten my son involved years ago. Yhey got donated use of a beautiful 56 foot two masted sailboat. Last year they to it to a tall ships rendezvous in Duluth, a 150 mile round trip. These kids are learning the real thing. Pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Awesome Wash! If I had known about them up here I would have gotten my son involved years ago. Yhey got donated use of a beautiful 56 foot two masted sailboat. Last year they to it to a tall ships rendezvous in Duluth, a 150 mile round trip. These kids are learning the real thing. Pretty cool.

That's awesome, not maybe places inland where you could learn real deal shit like superior!!

Aside from shooting and loading, and running our foundation, I really enjoy reading. Mostly techno thrillers (loved the Vince Flynn books) and good sci-fi. I haven't found much good sci-fi in recent years, most of it can't hold a candle to authors such as Heinlein and Asimov, but I'm always on the lookout. When I retire, I'm going to read all the classics I've never gotten around to reading (Dumas, Tolstoy, Webster). You know, high-brow stuff :laffs:

BTW, went and saw "Dunkirk" this weekend (good movie!) there was a trailer for "American Assassin". It looks good.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, washguy said:

In the middle of fukin Texas :lmao:

• 1 month later...

Please wear you gear guys, found out yesterday a good friend of mine from way back was hit a few weeks ago, 45mph on a county road car pulled out in front of him, broken leg, fracture at the base of his skull bleeding on his brain. Seen this happen to many times. Hate to be a Debbie downer but keep your head on a swivel cuz no one is paying attention 

27 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

I decided I'm done with riding, it used to be fun. People just don't give a fuk, they do everything but drive.

03 Wide glide anniversary for sale $7K 5K miles.

I've had several patients say the same thing after years of riding.  With young people more interested in their phone than driving, they decided it wasn't worth it anymore.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:12 PM, unforgiven said:

I decided I'm done with riding, it used to be fun. People just don't give a fuk, they do everything but drive.

get you a jeep or something.. orv and hit the trails.  even the dirt roads are not off limits for a bumper to bumper ! wrecks happen .. but less lethal ! as im rebuilding a 2 wheeler.. 

On 9/2/2017 at 9:12 PM, unforgiven said:

I sold my last HD this year , for the first time since I can remember , I don't have a Harley . They just sat there in the Garage , after I retired , no idea why , I had 72K on my Ultra .

Now my only hobby is GUNS, GUNS , GUNS !  :lmao::fullauto:

On 9/2/2017 at 9:12 PM, unforgiven said:

I've been thinking the same lately. I still love it but can't afford to track it. We need a bigger house and it might be better to have a fun 4 wheeled vehicle for the whole family. I almost got hit on a car stop yesterday by a woman driving with her knees while texting. It's ridiculous. If they allowed us to charge negligent operation for cell use I would. But then the courts would just dismiss like everything else.

8 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I've been thinking the same lately. I still love it but can't afford to track it. We need a bigger house and it might be better to have a fun 4 wheeled vehicle for the whole family. I almost got hit on a car stop yesterday by a woman driving with her knees while texting. It's ridiculous. If they allowed us to charge negligent operation for cell use I would. But then the courts would just dismiss like everything else.

this just passed as law in wa. and i still see it everyday! people are trained animals to stupid shits! atleast i have an excuse not to answer the bosses phone calls..