• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My old friend.

Robocop1051

Not sure how many of you knew about my dog Marshall. He’s an almost 15 year old German Shepherd with lots of health issues. Last week Marshall had an episode that made us very concerned for him. Jennifer and I took Marshall to the vet Thursday morning to get an assessment on his condition. The vet advised he was very worried about Marshall’s health. Marshall was suffering from a neurological issue that paralyzed his legs. He had almost no pain reaction left. The damage was irreversible and the doc felt there were additional underlying issues that were present and undiagnosed. Marshall’s quality of life was the main priority for us, and we love him too much to let him suffer any more. 

I heard once that a dog should never leave this world without knowing the pleasure of chocolate, so in true Mexican fashion I smuggled a Twix bar into the exam room. Marshall gobbled it up and licked my fingers clean. He even took a nip at my finger, which was funny to me because he bit me the day we rescued him for the dog pound.  A bite on day one , and a goodbye nip on the last day. 

I got to rock my dog to sleep in my lap one last time. Jen rubbed his head and ears till he fell asleep and we rocked him and held him till his last breath. He left knowing how much he was loved and how much he was going to be missed.  He was calm and peaceful through the entire process. He knew how much we were hurting, and he made sure to make it as easy on us as we were trying to do for him. The vet allowed Jen and I lots of time with him, before, during and after. 

On 2/10/2022, at 12:00pm, my buddy, Marshall stopped hurting. He’s finally at rest.

1EE18509-7402-4D72-8C5A-19F8166423A9.jpeg505EEAD0-3992-4B0C-8077-22C8C60ED5F5.jpegA57BD0AE-C287-4E32-A27C-D1DF9CC3193B.jpegD1CA0152-A637-4941-9306-118FFA82B2BE.jpeg2FDA97FB-850C-4CBD-931E-9169A575DD17.jpegE4EF12C8-4A7F-4BBB-BE41-19FF313AEFF4.jpeg

I’ll bet he had a better owner than you’re giving yourself credit for. It sounds like he had an awesome life and I’d also bet he enjoyed every minute of his time with your family. Having to see them go is the worst part of having a dog in your life, but you gave him one last beautiful memory for the both of you to carry. I’m sorry for your loss and hope his memories continue to bring smiles every time you look back.